Application cycle for 2013-2014

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@MediMike, I will echo the thanks from everyone else...your advice means a lot to us. I'm looking forward to feeling completely exhausted and spent, and hope to get the feeling of that phone call. :)

I got my packet in the mail with the day's schedule today, and I must say, it looks very exciting, dynamic, and interesting. We will certainly see what the day holds for us!

I interviewed last year at medex and was accepted. This is the hardest part, waiting. Don't stress if other sites besides the one you've applied for start getting interview invites, they're staggered. Not all at once! I have to second the "be yourself" advice. It's all they're looking for. Just go in and know they only want to get to know you, and BE YOURSELF! I too was aggravated hearing this tired advice but its really all you need. Meet up the night before with fellow interviewees. I'd be interested in meeting with tacoma people the day before interviews of interested. This was very helpful for myself and my fellow classmates last year, just PM me and I will give my email address. Good luck! -Laura

I interviewed last year at medex and was accepted. This is the hardest part, waiting. Don't stress if other sites besides the one you've applied for start getting interview invites, they're staggered. Not all at once! I have to second the "be yourself" advice. It's all they're looking for. Just go in and know they only want to get to know you, and BE YOURSELF! I too was aggravated hearing this tired advice but its really all you need. Meet up the night before with fellow interviewees. I'd be interested in meeting with tacoma people the day before interviews of interested. This was very helpful for myself and my fellow classmates last year, just PM me and I will give my email address. Good luck! -Laura

Thank you for the words of encouragement and excellent advice Laura. I am waiting for my invite to tacoma and although the waiting has sucked I know it will be an amazing experience if I get the chance to interview. I would love the chance to pick your brain about the interview and a meetup the night before would be great to get to know some others that have been on this journey. Thanks again for your input! Ill be contacting you soon I hope! -Anthony G

Laura, thanks for the advice and the tip about meeting up with fellow interviewees. I think its a great idea, especially since we're interviewing in small group format. Anybody else doing the Seattle interviews interested in meeting up for a cup of coffee or whatever the night before? If you PM me, I would be happy to organize something. Small. Not anything crazy, after all, we all need our rest for the next day! :)

back@ktcan10.... I selected the Anchorage training site for my first and second choices. My wife, our daughter, and I moved up from Savannah, Georgia. The MEDEX video really inspired me, I'm set on the family practice preceptorship and hope to get out in to some the remote villages and offer care- it seems like it would be awesome experience and offer great learning opportunities. How about you, which site have you applied for?

I personally truly enjoyed the interview style of MEDEX. It moves away from the traditional 3-6 faculty members staring at the single person across the table scenario. You are able to interact with others, and I found it to be a fairly stress-free style. I'll second Laura's comment about meeting up. (yeah, we second each other a lot. Because we're awesome. Hen.) This truly is less of a "let's test them to destruction" and more of a "let's find out who these guys are". They make it a point to let you know that as much as they're interviewing you, YOU'RE interviewing them as well. Ask some questions when given the opportunity. Don't just show up, blurt out some interview-class style responses and go home. Interact! These aren't scary people. Well...there might be one or two but I doubt you'll get more than one... ;)

@MediMike and Laura: thanks again for the awesome advice and a little window into the interview day that is rapidly approaching for some of us! A few of us are taking Laura's suggestion and meeting up the night before the interviews in Seattle, so again, if anybody else wants to join us, PM me with your email address! I'm acting as the informal coordinator for a low-key get together. :)

I've personally never had much success with mock interviews. Back when I wanted to get into the fire department years 'n years ago I tried it, and found that it didn't help me very much, but I'm very much an off-the-cuff kind of guy. I have a general idea of how I will answer questions and then just play it by ear. There are no tricky questions, and if you've done boards in the past for FDs (judging by your screen name I'm guessing you've gone through a couple) this is completely different. There's no intimidation, and they want honest answers, not the same BS spewed by the other 100 applicants. If you guys want to set up a meet 'n greet in Tacoma before your interviews (whenever they come) let me or Laura know and we'll drag some of our fellow classmates down to meet you for a frosty adult beverage and some words of encouragement.

Thanks for the info. I have been through a few fire boards and glad to hear there is no intimidation my friend that's in the masters program said the same that it was very laid back compared to a fire interview. i would really like to meetup with you and Laura when the time comes. I haven't met any other people here on the forum that are applying to tacoma except for myself but I imagine they would like to participate too. Thanks again for sharing!

EMSguy1982, you have my email, just send me a shoutout when you know your interniew date and I'll make sure we get a group of current students (including medimike. "aka" cow) together before the interview day for you guys and gals! This goes for anyone getting a tacoma interview! Last year once people started getting interview invites, someone made a site specific thread to coordinate the get together easier. 

Hi all!  I am a reapplicant, interviewed in Seattle last December...for me, the interview process was laid out nicely, but I know I let nerves get the best of me...when you get an invite to interview, remember to celebrate that victory, and know that the adcom has already seen something in you that is deserving of a spot in MEDEX...I'm hoping for another chance to interview this year, and conquer those nerves!  Good luck to everyone interviewing next week...I felt so honored to be in a room of amazing individuals last year, and I'm sure the interview groups in the following months will be composed of the same :)

Now that the dust has settled a little (although I am still EXHAUSTED...in a good way), I am happy to report that, post-interview, I am just as impressed, if not more so, with the MEDEX program and what they have to offer. Had a wonderful, amazing interview experience. The interviewers truly wanted to get to know you, and they were skilled at calming your nerves and making sure you had the chance to express yourselves adequately.

They're supposed to start calling people with acceptances in about a week, so fingers crossed for all of us who interviewed yesterday! There was a really, really solid and awesome group of people there. I can imagine that they have their work cut out for them on acceptances. Good luck everyone!

That is so awesome that MEDEX's interviews are relaxed. This is my first time applying to MEDEX though I have applied to other PA schools in previous years with no success. From what I have gathered in the forums, it looks like they started with those that chose the Seattle cohort first for interviews. I was wondering if anybody know which cohort they will start next. I am applying for the master's program but chose the Spokane cohort. I think this will be an easier place for my family to live and support me through the rough 2 years.

Is there anybody that was interviewing that chose the Spokane as their main option, that you guys are aware of?

Thanks, and I hope to be hearing from MEDEX soon. I am really impressed with this program and I would love to attend there.

Congratulations to everyone who interviewed today! I hope you all have safe travels back!

Once you all get some R&R I would love to hear your individual descriptions of interview day....what was the process like?

Thanks @ktcan10 for being the first to share! Your description has me so excited! I can't wait to receive an invite to interview at Spokane! :-)

Is there anybody that was interviewing that chose the Spokane as their main option first, that you guys are aware of?

Thanks, and I hope to be hearing from MEDEX soon. I am really impressed with this program and I would love to attend there.

I selected the Spokane option as my 1st... no word yet. Being non-WAAMI already puts me at a disadvantage. Not stressing though as I already have acceptances elsewhere. MEDEX is really an awesome program though.

Just wondering if there is anyone out there who chose Master's option Seattle site as first choice and still waiting for interview? This thread made me feel like I might already be SOL for Seattle if I haven't had an interview yet... hoping thats not true. AND does anyone know on average how many interview rounds they hold for the master's sites?

I submitted CASPA and supplemental in mid August. Still no word from other than I passed intial screening process and app is under "full review". I applied last year and didnt get an interview despite much support on here (which was very appreciated).

Already feeling a little anxious and its not quite October yet. Oh dear.

Archived