Application cycle for 2013-2014

av345 Hi, I sent my application in September and am still waiting. Seattle is my first choice and I am applying for the Masters program too. I think we are still okay. I wrote MEDEX the other day and they said that I am still in the running so let's keep our fingers crossed. Do you mind me asking if they sent you a letter telling you why you didn't get an interview. Like, you needed more shadowing time etc...? Thank you.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apologies, I wasn't clear. One interview conference has happened already, and they are expecting at least one more. According to what they said in the one that happened already. But this is in no way an official word. I would contact the program if you have any questions.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4

@fisha,

I am still crossing those fingers too! There really is NOWHERE else I would rather be, so I'll keep holding out. MEDEX did send me a packet of information aimed a reapplicants along w/ a letter informing me that I would not receive an interview last year. However, the packet is the same one that ALL denied applicants receive, and is faily general in regards to what improvements individuals should consider if you choose to reapply. It basically breaks down each category of the  MEDEX application/pre-req's, but I found the information to be what I had learned in various MEDEX information sessions. Still, I will admit that it helped me to focus on each category (vol. hours, work hx, pt experience, etc.), led to a lot of self-reflection, and really motivated me to jump right back into the application process in February of last year.

I asked myself what holes I had not only in my application, but also in who I was as a medical provider and dove into shadowing, vounteering, and even changed jobs this summer to broaden my medical experience to outside a hospital setting.

Goodluck!!! Just have to say- Im so glad there is a positive forum full of well-rounded/informed applicants like this one to get information from.

ALSO- I submitted my app in late July, though due to MEDEX error (they accidentally overlooked one my pre-req's), I was not informed that my application was complete and being considered until September. So.... here's hoping I make it into the next round!

av345, 

Oh my goodness, thank you for all of the information! Good luck to you too! I am sending good thoughts your way. It sounds as if you'll get it this time around though. I went to the info sessions and they really emphasized that they LOVE re-applicants. 

How long was it after CASPA said that they had mailed your application that Medex informed you that you had passed the initial review? 

Thank you again for all your comments

fisha,

I mailed my completed application to MEDEX on 7/31, received notice that I did not meet a pre-req (incorrectly) on 8/23, and then after a few emails back forth w/ Mariah was reassured that my app had moved on for review on 8/29. I am hoping that this means I made the early deadline by the skin of my teeth!

Hey Everyone,

So MEDEX does 3-4 rounds of interviews. The first was 9/24, as we know. The second is 10/25 and the third is 11/25. I am applying for the Masters in Seattle and I was offered an interview for 10/25 but I asked to be delayed to 11/25 because of other interviews scheduled in October. There is a fourth interview in January that may be offered but depending on how many applicants are already accepted this interview is not guaranteed. I hope this helps some of you who are anxiously waiting.

I am so excited to meet those of you at the November interview conference! Most likely interview offers for this date won't be sent until about 2 weeks before the conference. If anyone wants to meet the night before I will be in the area and would love to. It would be great to support each other!

Good Luck to all! Hope we are studying together next year!

Carly

Joining in on the introductory questionnaire from the first page of the thread:

1. What state is everyone applying from?

Washington.  I've lived in the Seattle area my entire life, and I have a strong desire to maintain my connection to the Pacific Northwest during my career.

2. Is this your first application cycle?
It is.  But I'm continuing to work hard with the knowledge that many students apply 2-3 times before earning acceptance.

3. Does anyone have a passion for anything specific OB/GYN, EM, IM,FM,Ortho, Surgery....etc?
My experience is largely rooted in Emergency Medicine.  But I'm looking forward to gaining other exposures during the clinical year.  Family Medicine seems to be an incredibly rewarding area in which to practice.  And something like Surgery sounds simply fascinating.  The plethora of employment options for PAs is a large factor in my pursuit of the profession.

4. Non-PA related... name one fun thing you did this summer to ease the anxiety of this process?
I've been training for my first 1/2 marathon!

Joining in on the introductory questionnaire from the first page of the thread:

1. What state is everyone applying from?

Idaho.  Originally from Seattle area and moved to Idaho 12 years ago and love the northwest no matter where I live.

2. Is this your first application cycle?
 This is my second time applying.  Fingers crossed!!

3. Does anyone have a passion for anything specific OB/GYN, EM, IM,FM,Ortho, Surgery....etc?
         Mostly family practice but looking foward to working with pediatrics and OB/Gyn.

4. Non-PA related... name one fun thing you did this summer to ease the anxiety of this process?
Like mkearney I trained and ran my first 1/2 marathon in May!!  Looking foward to running another 1/2 in Seattle next year!!

Good luck to all that apply!!!!

@mkearney, welcome! What campus are you applying to? I am running my second half marathon next weekend!

My answer to that isn't entirely straightforward.  I ranked my campus preference as Tacoma, then Spokane (based only on proximity).  But I additionally added that I would jump at the opportunity to attend Anchorage.  In my view, I'm applying to a program that aims to train PAs that will serve the WWAMI region.  The location in which I complete my didactic year is almost inconsequential to my larger goal of becoming a PA.  I'd be grateful to earn acceptance to any of the three BCHS campuses, and will greet the opportunity with the utmost enthusiasm.

My race isn't until December (Seattle Half Marathon).  I've never been a distance runner, but I'm doing my best.  I've got an 8-mile slow run today, which will be the furthest I've ever run.  Making progress!

Archived