Application cycle for 2013-2014

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know that last year, I interviewed in December for the Yakima campus (which is no longer open... I'm at Tacoma now). Hope that helps those waiting for Tacoma interviews! If I remember right, I got my invite about 1 week before Thanksgiving and interviewed on December 1st. So approximately 2 weeks lead time.... but seriously - I did not spend a lot of time prepping. Everyone is right when they tell you to be yourself.

As I mentioned before, those of us in Tacoma would be happy to meet up with those interviewing for Tacoma the night before.

Let me know if we can do anything or help answer any questions for you guys!

Tracie

Thank you, Tracie.  Patience is indeed a virtue!  Whether that means waiting for an interview invitation that may not arrive for several months, or being steadfast in our efforts to earn admission for a second or third consecutive year.  Just take a breath, and keep our noses to the grindstone.  Eyes on the prize.  And whatever other clichéd phrases you find appropriate. :-)

Phone calls for interviews? Say whaaa?! We got emails.  Guess they're stepping it up for you guys.  I'm going to repeat the not stressing yourself out line of thought.  The normally have an interview for each site, and then it the spots are not all filled there is a final interview for all the sites at once.  Chillax.  Any more in depth questions feel free to PM.  Any excuse to avoid studying at the moment...

Phone calls for interviews? Say whaaa?! We got emails.  Guess they're stepping it up for you guys.  I'm going to repeat the not stressing yourself out line of thought.  The normally have an interview for each site, and then it the spots are not all filled there is a final interview for all the sites at once.  Chillax.  Any more in depth questions feel free to PM.  Any excuse to avoid studying at the moment...

Thank You MediMike!!

I don't post in here often. I usually just log in to see how timelines are going with various schools. I will say this though as some words of encouragement.

Don't let any program stress you out to the point that you loose the passion to become a PA. Reapplication has its pros. If you really are passionate about it, you'll get in....somewhere. Let that program be the program that reaps the benefits for believing in you and then you graduate and work at being your best.

I'm waiting for MEDEX as well, Seattle and Tacoma are my choices, in that order. I haven't heard anything but I'm staying encouraged. I encourage all others in the same boat to stay positive as well. To those that have gotten calls, interviews, and acceptances. Congrats!!! I'm very excited for the next wave of PAs

Take Care everyone

I'm waiting for MEDEX as well, Seattle and Tacoma are my choices, in that order.

Could you mean Spokane and Tacoma?  Or Seattle and Spokane?  Seattle is a MCHS campus, and Tacoma is a BCHS campus.

http://depts.washington.edu/medex/pa-program/campus-locations/

In any case, thank you for sharing!  And thanks for the words of encouragement.  Best of luck to you.

My application was complete Oct. 1st, MEDEX confirmed they received my CASPA application in early September, and then Oct. 1st for the supplemental application.  About how long does it take to receive confirmation they have completed the initial screening and does anyone have any idea when we can expect an interview call or rejection letter?  Last question is, can anyone speak to how MEDEX weighs the GPA, some schools look only at the last 30/60 hours of coursework and say they don't take into consideration cumulative GPA.  Does MEDEX do the same, because the only GPA requirements specify 3.0 or greater for the last 90 hours.  Thank you!

My application was complete Oct. 1st, MEDEX confirmed they received my CASPA application in early September, and then Oct. 1st for the supplemental application.  About how long does it take to receive confirmation they have completed the initial screening and does anyone have any idea when we can expect an interview call or rejection letter?  Last question is, can anyone speak to how MEDEX weighs the GPA, some schools look only at the last 30/60 hours of coursework and say they don't take into consideration cumulative GPA.  Does MEDEX do the same, because the only GPA requirements specify 3.0 or greater for the last 90 hours.  Thank you!

I am confused with your application timelines, but my application was completed on Oct 4th, I contacted MEDEX last week and they said that they had just received it but that I should receive a confirmation of initial screening early this week. I have not received anything yet but am hoping today is the day. I believe MEDEX only looks at the last two years in regards to your GPA, I did go to an information session though and they seemed as if they did not put a lot of weight on the GPA. I hope this helps. 

I am confused with your application timelines, but my application was completed on Oct 4th, I contacted MEDEX last week and they said that they had just received it but that I should receive a confirmation of initial screening early this week. I have not received anything yet but am hoping today is the day. I believe MEDEX only looks at the last two years in regards to your GPA, I did go to an information session though and they seemed as if they did not put a lot of weight on the GPA. I hope this helps. 

Fisha, I submitted Caspa September 2nd and submitted my supplemental application Oct. 1st.  A great deal of my pre reqs and last 90 hours came as part time while working full time so I was just inquiring to see if that  may be held against an applicant because it isn't full time student status(last 2 years).   I hope to receive confirmation of the initial screening soon as well, and at the information session did they mention if it is more favorable to take classes/ prerequisites at a university rather than a CC? A majority of my pre reqs are at the CC level but I've taken some university upper division medically related courses recently.

Fisha, I submitted Caspa September 2nd and submitted my supplemental application Oct. 1st.  A great deal of my pre reqs and last 90 hours came as part time while working full time so I was just inquiring to see if that  may be held against an applicant because it isn't full time student status(last 2 years).   I hope to receive confirmation of the initial screening soon as well, and at the information session did they mention if it is more favorable to take classes/ prerequisites at a university rather than a CC? A majority of my pre reqs are at the CC level but I've taken some university upper division medically related courses recently.

They said that it did not matter if you took prerequisites at a university or at a community college. They actually commented that it was better to take them at a community college because the expense was much less. I think they really are more interested in the individual. I hope this helps calm some of your concerns, good luck. Please let me know when you hear about passing the initial screening and I'll do the same :-)

Hey everyone!  So just got the invite via email today to interview for the Spokane campus on Nov. 16th...I honestly was not expecting to hear back this early, so I am definitely excited!!!  I interviewed last year for Seattle in December, and decided to choose Spokane as my 1st choice this year...think it'll be a better fit for me...congrats to everyone that already interviewed for Seattle!!!  The waiting game is definitely rough...hang in there everyone!!!  :)

Shawba-

What, you think this is some ivy league shirt 'n tie 'n skirt kinda school?  MEDEX is all about the individual.  You meet the pre reqs however the hell you can and they're happy.  If you look at the history it should become pretty clear that this is one of the original programs, one of the ones designed to take experienced working professionals and take them that next step.  As was mentioned above, it doesn't matter whether you took them at a community college, online, hybrid, or Harvard. (Ok, if you took classes at Harvard it might pique their interest a little bit).  And in regards to not being at full time student status, my last 20 credits or so were strung out over 2 years, was out of school for 3 years before that, and my degree was from 11 years ago.  So, to end my little rant, I think you'll be fine!

Lyn-

Congrats! You should organize a meet up before the interview date.  Let me know if you get a group of students together, I might be able to get ahold of some of the Spocompton folks and have them meet you guys.

Shawba-

What, you think this is some ivy league shirt 'n tie 'n skirt kinda school?  MEDEX is all about the individual.  You meet the pre reqs however the hell you can and they're happy.  If you look at the history it should become pretty clear that this is one of the original programs, one of the ones designed to take experienced working professionals and take them that next step.  As was mentioned above, it doesn't matter whether you took them at a community college, online, hybrid, or Harvard. (Ok, if you took classes at Harvard it might pique their interest a little bit).  And in regards to not being at full time student status, my last 20 credits or so were strung out over 2 years, was out of school for 3 years before that, and my degree was from 11 years ago.  So, to end my little rant, I think you'll be fine!

Medimike, thanks for the response.  I appreciate the feedback.  I was rejected to a PA school last year for GPA related reasons.  They acknowledged my most recent work but ya no luck.   But I know MEDEX is more about the individual than most programs.

Lyn6, When was your application complete?

Not heard anything yet. I turned in my app and supplemental in the first CASPA round and got the "Criteria Met" email on 8/28. Since then I sent an updated transcript showing two more science classes (Biochemistry w/Lab and Cellular Biology w/Lab) which they said they would add to my file. MEDEX has such an amazing reputation so I really hope I get an invite.

As was mentioned previously, you'll get around 2 weeks notification.  That's just enough time to get excited, scared, happy, depressed, nervous, and then resigned to the fact that you ACTUALLY have to go sit in several rooms and talk about yourself.  We haven't heard dates from faculty yet, but they are all looking forward to meeting you guys!  Really excited for the Tacoma peeps to get their interview notices, quite a few of us are getting...thirsty...if you're picking up what I'm putting down.

Archived