Application cycle for 2013-2014

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1.What state is everyone applying from?

Washington. I live in Seattle.

2. Is this your first application cycle?

Yes

3.Does anyone have a passion for anything specific OB/GYN, EM, IM,FM,Ortho, Surgery....etc?

I am interested in providing primary care, but I want to build a reputation for working well with people with developmental disabilities. The majority of my HCE comes from my previous work experience as a caregiver and case manager.

4. NonPA related....name one fun thing you did this summer to ease the anxiety of this process?

I've been in Nicaragua all summer, volunteering and learning Spanish. It's a three month gig, with some side travel thrown in.

Good Luck to all applicants and reapplicants this go round.:;-): My turn :

1. Washington

2. Nope I am a reapplicant this year, I applied and interviewed for Tacoma last year unfortunately I got that dreaded not this year letter.

3. Primary care in Eastern WAshington or Northern Idaho

4. Camping and of course finishing up a pre req which was its own stress

I'm planning on applying this cycle (most of the dealines for the schools I want are in Dec or Jan) and I'm scrambling to try to get all the parts of my apps together in time. I have a couple questions and I'm hoping anyone out there can help me...

First question: I took the GRE last Nov and I was not happy with my scores. Verbal 155, Quantitative 148 (yikes!) and Analytical 4.0. Although I'm not happy with my scores, I still haven't taken it a second time reason being 1) I feel like I might not do that much better the second time around and 2) from what I've read online, my scores might actually be ok enough to get me an interview. What do you guys suggest? Should I retake it?

Second question: I've worked at a daycare (various hours and positions) for three years and I asked my boss if she would write one of my letters of recommendation for me; however, I'm not so sure if I should actually follow through with it. She knows me well enough where I feel confident that she would write me a good LOR, but I don't know how helpful the LOR would actually be since she only knows me in a professional setting, not a healthcare one. Basically, I think she can only say professional descriptions about me like that I work hard, that everyone likes me and gets along with me, that I'm dependable, etc. The other person I was thinking of asking is my old anatomy/physiology professor. I had her for two semesters (lecture only) but only started to know her towards the end of the first semester. I got a B+ and a B for the two semesters. I don't think she knows me that well where I would feel totally confident in her LOR for me, but I'm thinking of asking her because she's a professor and can actually somewhat attest to my academic ability and interest in healthcare. Another drawback to asking her would be that I'm not sure that she would remember all the details of all our conversations since I haven't seen her since May and I don't know if she has taught other classes over the summer that would cloud her memory of me. Who do you suggest I ask- my daycare boss who I'm more confident about or take a chance on my professor?

Third question: Shadowing- I am super behind the ball on this one. I'm going to shadow for the first time tomorrow and plan on doing a lot more from then on. How many hours do you guys think its good/good enough to shadow a PA? 50, 100, 200?? Also, is it appropriate to ask for a LOR from a PA that you're simply shadowing and haven't actually worked with? If so, how many hours of shadowing would be appropriate before asking for a LOR?

Last question: Is it better to have two PA's write me LOR's or one PA and one MD?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Hello all! Planning on submitting my supplemental on wednesday!

Southern Illinois

For this program!

3.Does anyone have a passion for anything specific OB/GYN, EM, IM,FM,Ortho, Surgery....etc?

Passionate about learning about medicine!! I am an athletic trainer, so ortho would be a logical fit, but I am also intrigued by EM, Surgery, under served populations.....hard to pick one now,glad I don't have to!

4. NonPA related....name one fun thing you did this summer to ease the anxiety of this process?

I am the head athletic trainer for a minor league baseball team and we are in the process of defending our league championship from 2012.

Hey everyone!

I just submitted both of my apps (CASPA and MEDEX supplemental) I am really nervous but am also glad to have that part of the process out of the way. Which campus is everyone applying to? I hope to hear back by about Sept or Oct for interviews. If anyone is applying to the Spokane campus and needs help getting around, I am a Spokane native and know the town very well. Good luck everyone! Let us know when you hear back for interviews!

Liberia -- I adore Nicaragua. It's challenging some ways, but the trade off is that you get a welcome you would not find as easily in more heavily touristed countries. You probably experienced something similar in Guatemala. Plus, the volunteer work is on an ambulance, which provides access to a whole other side of the culture.

Thanks for making the post! Got the email that my CASPA is verified and complete. It took 3 months for one of my LOR to get done...

Idaho

Second, I interviewed at the Spokane Campus last year but did not get in. I chose Seattle as my first choice this year.

I currently work in the ER and love that but I love cardiac.

Got away for a long weekend of camping after working on applications all week... really helped out.

Hey everyone!

I just submitted both of my apps (CASPA and MEDEX supplemental) I am really nervous but am also glad to have that part of the process out of the way. Which campus is everyone applying to? I hope to hear back by about Sept or Oct for interviews. If anyone is applying to the Spokane campus and needs help getting around, I am a Spokane native and know the town very well. Good luck everyone! Let us know when you hear back for interviews!

That is very sweet of you! I applied to the Spokane campus so ill definitely be in touch! :-)

Archived