UF class of 2016 Applicants

Can somebody within the Gator PA system shed some light on a hypothetical for me? 

Say an applicant is given an acceptance letter and said applicant accepts/signs/pays deposit for matriculation June 2014. Now during the "background checks" conducted in the Spring 2014 prior to matriculation, it is discovered that this applicant has a previous misdemeanor arrest (5+years old) that was "Nolle Processed" and "dismissed" prior to entering the court system. Note that the applicant has not falsified any information on the CASPA or UF secondary due to the questions asking about "Convictions(etc)".

Is this situation black & white in a sense that,

A. These arrests/charges were dismissed and therefore will not warrant revoking this applicants acceptance. 

OR

B. Zero Tolerance. Regardless of dismissal/conviction/etc, an arrest on the record = withdrawal of conditional acceptance. 

Thank you for your input,

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not a college administrator; however the plea of nolle prosique means the prosecution is unable to prove the charges, in short you are innocent. You cannot be held liable for charges only convictions. However, if it was Murder, rape, or a substantial offense then it will blemish your name, but I don't believe you will be dismissed from the class because you are still able to maintain PA certification

That's a well kept secret. However, IN THE PAST - they never interviewed more people at a given session than there were slots remaining. So, for the 20 or so people interviewing this week, there are at least 20 slots. That way everyone has hope. They might accept some of those students and still save about 20 slots for the next batch ... thus, they probably have more than 20 left. There will always be enough seats for everyone interviewing to have a fair chance - and the last interview is the first week of December. So, until that interview is over, they will keep at least 20 slots open (IN THEORY). From the lack of chatter on this forum, it would appear that there are probably way more slots than that. Good luck, the wait is almost over.

I still haven't heard from UF, although I have 2 interviews pending.

Think there are still any spots left or should I be looking at my other programs?

Although I think the UF PA program is very strong, Florida was not my top choice of locations. 

But looks like I'm at the tail end if any chance at all!

I still haven't heard from UF, although I have 2 interviews pending.

Think there are still any spots left or should I be looking at my other programs?

Although I think the UF PA program is very strong, Florida was not my top choice of locations. 

But looks like I'm at the tail end if any chance at all!

You have a chance! There are two interview sessions left, so if the "rule" from previous year stands, there should be about 40 open spots left. Everything will be finalized in December and waitlist letters sound like they will go out in early January.

There is still hope. Hang in there!

@Great Checko - did not mean to imply that there are still 40 seats left because there are still 40 students to interview. Just that there will be at least the same number of seats as applicants at a given interview. My guess would be probably 25ish are left. I AM ONLY GUESSING. Which means that they can give a few seats out after next week's interview and still hold on to 20 for the last batch. Does that make sense?

How soon did everyone receive an invite for interview after you submitted your CASPA and supplemental app? I finished everything right before their deadline so I know I'm not a priority but I'm still trying to be hopeful. I keep checking my emails and my phone in hopes of receiving some type of invite for an interview! Fingers crossed!

Congrats to those who have been invited to interview and those who have been accepted!! I applied in early September but I'm finishing my last pre-req. I was told to be sure that I submit my final transcripts when the fall semester is over- yet I've read on here that there are only two interview groups left? Does anyone know how that works with candidates who are completing their final pre-req at UF?

They will interview candidates with prerequisites in progress (they interviewed me) and I would venture to say that many interviewing do have some classes left to finish up. How many prereqs will they wait for? That's the million dollar question and only a few people know that. 

Once accepted into the program, they will mail a checklist of things they need prior to the beginning of class, which includes sending transcripts from all post-secondary institutions directly to the program.

Good luck!

Archived