UF class of 2016 Applicants

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I applied to multiple programs last year and was selected as an alternate for NSU and did not receive a seat.

I continued to work at my HCE job, got my name on two JAMA publications, and was accepted to UF during the first round of this current cycle. 

Keep your head's up; not getting in on your first cycle isn't the WORST thing in the world (even though it may feel that way at the moment).

If you're given an extra year to better yourself as an applicant/human-being, take full advantage of it with an opportunistic perspective. 

Similar story, I applied to 8 schools the last cycle and only received 2 interviews.  Due to family obligations I only attended one interview and was flat out denied.

Fast forward to this year and I applied to 25ish schools….ya, ya, neurotic a bit, but my wife is military and we needed options!  :)  I received interview offers from over 20 schools.  If that's not flattering enough, the offers included the likes of UF, Duke, GWU, and Pitt to name a few.  I was accepted to every school I interviewed this cycle.  Happy to be a Gator! I feel truly blessed!

Use this coming year to get better in all regards.  Choose to persevere.  Be positive and you will get there.

As has been stated a litany of times, If it's your dream than don't give up….don't ever give up!  There's a little Jimmy V for ya! Hey, I like me some college bball….don't worry thee of the south….I love college fball as well!  haha

@woodsters Yes, though they wouldn't tell me my exact position, Melinda said and I quote, "You are in the range of alternates who typically have a chance to move forward." I'm assuming that means like....top 10 or 5ish? Idk. Im just gonna go ahead and stop thinking about it.

Yea right...

I am taking more science classes this semester to boost my app, that is the only thing I can really think of to boost my resume. I asked for them to review my app for anything I could improve upon and they told me I should shadow in multiple health fields so I can gain a well rounded understanding of the PA position, however, I don't think me not understanding the position is the reason I was rejected. I really do not understand the system.

Paramedic - I was rejected the first year I interviewed as well. Not a whole lot transpired between my first application and my second. I did get CNA and ENT training to boost my application but never worked in either capacity. Basically, I just got another year older (and I was plenty old already!). I don't have any statistics but I'm sure a lot of people will tell you that applying more than once is just part of the process.

Obviously you are already in the ballpark or you would not have received an interview. But when they stacked you up against the others who interviewed the same year, they liked them better for some reason. Next year, you will be stacked up against a different group of people and if you've done anything to improve, it will be noticed and looked upon favorably.

I don't know that shadowing will help you any but since you have plenty of HCE and all of the pre-reqs with a good GRE score, then the only thing I can suggest is follow the advice since it is what they gave you. I would also argue that taking some advance sciences will show initiative - virology, pathophysiology, immunology, genetics, etc.

Before you know it the process will begin again. Enjoy this new year - it might have a lot in store for you!

Archived