UF class of 2016 Applicants

I did take an online med term course. However, it was through red rocks community college in Lakewood, CO and IIRC was a half semester course. Unfortunately, if they offer it this year, it would finish in December. 

I know there are some that are offered online, but be cautious with something that isn't going to get you a transcript from an accredited college or university. Call the program before you put any down any money because I don't know how they feel about the more self paced programs that are out there.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It sounds like they just want proof that you've registered. The Florida State College of Jacksonville has an online course that runs from 09/23 to 12/13/13. Here's the link: https://artemis.fscj.edu/schedule/csSearch.aspx?t=20141&ct=C - type in HSC1531 into the box that says course ID and scroll down until you see HSC 1531 that is black (not greyed out) and that is online.

I took this exact course from this institution a few years ago and I didn't have any issue with my application. The concern with online courses versus "live" courses is that there's no way for them to know if you've actually done the coursework yourself. This is probably less of a concern for a course like this which is not considered overly difficult.

I can't read anything into their communication with you but I assume that if they've gone to the effort to tell you to register for the course so you can be considered that possibly it's a good sign that it's worth your effort to make it happen.

September 23 is Monday but you have time to apply/register/etc if you work on it now.

As soon as you register, send the proof to the program so they can re-consider your application. They won't make you wait to complete it to interview. Just prove that you've registered and be sure to complete the course by December.

Hope this helps. I'm sure there are other courses out there that will meet the qualification but this is the one that I am familiar with.

What a wonderful experience the interview was. The campus is beautiful and the whole process was so much fun. I want to say a huge thank you to any current students who may be lurking, you made it such a great time that I almost forgot I was interviewing for the biggest thing in my life. Hope to see you all next summer.

Michael

P.S. Special thanks to Dex, Hector, Eric, Dale, Cody, and Jenna.

What a wonderful experience the interview was.  The campus is beautiful and the whole process was so much fun.  I want to say a huge thank you to any current students who may be lurking, you made it such a great time that I almost forgot I was interviewing for the biggest thing in my life.  Hope to see you all next summer.

Michael

P.S. Special thanks to Dex, Hector, Eric, Dale, Cory, and Jenna.

Thanks for the kind words Michael! I've passed this along to the class.

Go Gators! Beat Tennessee! 

For those of you who have already interviewed, how many people were in your interview group? Just wondering because I've gone one interview so far and was shocked that there was only 6 of us I was expecting much more

There were 21 in my session, they split us up into groups of 7 over 3 separate times.  One morning, one afternoon and one the following morning.  Hope this helps.

Yes like Michael I would like to give a big thanks to the current students. I was very nervous and didn't know what to expect... This being my first interview. but the current students really put my mind at ease and made it an enjoyable experience. The dinner is a must for those who are interviewing later on.

Ryan

I was in the September 16th and 17th interview and I agree, the students there made this nerve wracking experience enjoyable. The dinner was a great opportunity, I highly recommend it to anyone interviewing. I'll admit, I've been checking my phone every few hours just to make sure they haven't tried to call (they only do that for like 2 students per interview session, but a girl can dream). Paramedic, it was great to meet you and your wife. GreatChecko, thanks for the advice and encouragement. Dexter, thanks for giving us advice and for helping me find parking at The Swamp (I was the one who called you). For those of you about to interview, relax. The UF staff and students did an excellent job making everyone feel welcome and comfortable. Best of luck to all of you applying and interviewing!!

Just had a quick question:

I will be there next week for an interview and I wondered if anyone had any tips on parking? I heard there are a few parking garages near where we need to meet Monday. Any preference of those? Do they typically fill up? I know at UCF during the morning hours you can drive for an hour looking for a parking spot at some places on campus.

Thanks for any info!

The garage which I believe they send you to is the visitor garage (garage X) for the hospital, which shouldn't fill up. I think you can also park in the visitor lot by the cancer center, which is on the south side of Archer. However, don't quote me on that and it's a smaller lot, which means it could fill up at the most inopportune time. 

Otherwise, your options are to feed the meter in the garage by the 1329 building, which is very impractical and will only make you more nervous, or to park on the street. Street parking is free, but it's more akin to what you describe at UCF. 

Personally, I'd just park in the hospital visitor garage (X) and factor in about 10 minutes for the walk to the 1329 building. Also, traffic can be an issue on Archer, so make sure to give yourself plenty of time. 

The Holiday Inn has a free shuttle.  They will drop you off and pick you up.  If you stay there than there really is no reason to worry or pay for parking.  Additionally, the Holiday Inn is a super easy walk to The Swamp restaurant where you meet and mingle with current students.  Hope this helps.

For all those interviewing next week check out this video on Ted Talks. My internship preceptor sent it to me before my interview on Sept 16/17th to help me with my confidence. UF is totally different from other interviews that you will go on. I know you hear this a lot during this process but they really are just trying to get to know you better, and want to see if it's a "good fit." They do a great job at  "selling" the program to you, so that you can make the best decision about where you want to start your PA career. They are totally transparent. They even tell you on day 1 who is interviewing during each session so that you can look up those specific people, instead of trying to memorize bios for the entire faculty.

Relax! Smile! and GO TO THE SWAMP DINNER! The students are the best source of information about the program and the interview! You've made it this far, so do your best to show them who you are and why you would be a successful PA!

Best of Luck!

http://www.ted.com/talks/amy_cuddy_your_body_language_shapes_who_you_are.html

Any word on calls going out to those who interviewed this week? I got an invite to Yale and I was hesitant to buy a plane ticket. I wanted to see if I got in to UF first. After my interview this week UF is definitely my first choice, so I would be declining my Yale interview if I got in at UF. The waiting sucks!!

Archived