UF class of 2016 Applicants

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am taking more science classes this semester to boost my app, that is the only thing I can really think of to boost my resume. I asked for them to review my app for anything I could improve upon and they told me I should shadow in multiple health fields so I can gain a well rounded understanding of the PA position, however, I don't think me not understanding the position is the reason I was rejected. I really do not understand the system.

Hey Paramedic, when did you ask them to review your app? And did you ask through phone or email? I emailed them for an app review Dec 23rd (which is probably when they left for break) and I was just wondering when they may respond. Their response greatly influences my decision on whether to reapply for UF or go to my backup school...Thanks.

I received my rejection letter around December 15th and ask them to review within the next few days. They respond prior to Christmas holiday. They will review your application, if you did not get accepted any where this year apply again, if you did go to that school, you will become a PA regardless of the school you choose

boomboom - I'd say opting for plan B depends on a few things - 1. did you receive an alternate or rejection letter from UF? 2. what is your back up school, when does it start, how much does it cost and what is the PANCE pass rate? Remember that the school is not the dream in itself but the means to the end. It will be a very stressful two years of your life and this is your one shot to get the best education you can get. At the same time, the old adage "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"... there are no guarantees that you will get in UF if you wait another year... every year you wait to go to PA school is a year of missed PA salary in the end. Good luck to you!

Thanks a TON for your input input Woodsters. I received a rejection letter, not an alternate letter, from UF. My back up school is Nova. I've heard a lot of great things about Nova, but as you may know their tution costs more, and UF was my absolute number 1 choice considering I did my undergrad here, work at shands, settled here etc. So the possiblity of not having to move to a foreign place and start anew would be favorable for me. But my biggest concern is wanting to go to a more well known school, as I will probably move out of Florida after PA school. I've  talked to plenty of people (both in and outside of the medical field) and heard many different opinons on whether school will affect a possible job offer or a possible residency. This is why I was saying the email from UF admissions would help me out with my decision. If there was something I could do this year to greatly increase my chances, I feel UF is worth the wait. Of course, there is no guarantee for acceptance next year, which is the major con. What is your opinion Woodsters, if you don't mind me asking? Or anyone here that may have some input? I would teremendously appreciate it!  

I had a similar situation, but kind of in reverse. I threw a Hail Mary application to Nova and Barry last cycle and got wait-listed. I was super bummed and not looking forward to wasting another year out of school. However, within that year I become a much more competitive applicant and have since turned down Stony Brook for UF this current cycle. A lot can happen in a year. Nova is expensive, and relocating can be expensive too. The professional advice I've received is that it doesn't matter what school you go to, but who hires you after school. Now how much of THAT depends on "which school", I don't know. But networking is key. 

Are you sitting on an Acceptance to another school? Which Nova campuses? 

boomboom - This is a decision that you're going to have to make for yourself. Of course I think UF is worth the wait. But... a couple of things pop in my head.... I always advise students to only apply to schools that they would seriously consider attending. For one, the places you send your application to know where else you have applied. This gives them an idea of where you see yourself.

Why waste application money, time/expense interviewing, etc, if you don't intend to attend a particular school. Granted, you don't know until you've interviewed someplace if it's a good fit.

If you turn down your seat at Nova this year, are you going to reapply there again next year? You will certainly need to be careful not to burn any bridges with Nova if you plan to reapply. Now that you've had a handful of interviews, I recommend applying to schools that you would be more content with attending if you don't get into UF next year either.

If you do hold off for UF for the next cycle, you only have FOUR months before the cycle opens. Is that enough time to improve your application?? (keeping in mind that with UF, it's always best to apply as early as possible).

You certainly need to go where you feel comfortable. And a top quality education is worth sacrificing (and waiting) for. You just need to make the decision that feels right for you and don't look back!

PA school was probably the toughest two years of my life. I am glad I spent it at UF knowing my education was superior and that the faculty cared. I didn't have your dilemma to face. UF was the only school I interviewed at (TWO years in a row) so I never had to make the decision you are facing. If UF had rejected me a second time, I was prepared to attend any school that accepted me. But we'll never know because UF took me early very early in the process the second time around.

Good luck to you!

Woodsters, thank you so much again for all your advice. Everything you said really helps and I will consider all the points you mentioned. This decision is very tough for me, as I REALLY wanted to attend UF for PA school - but I know everything happens for a reason. If you don't mind me asking, what did you do to strengthen your case when you applied to UF the second time? 4 months is indeed not that long, so I can only do so much like you said. I'll still continue to work as a CNA at shands if i do intend to reapply, and also re-apply to Nova, but most likely the Ft. Lauderdale campus (i didn't apply there last year). I would also apply to a bunch of out of state schools (which i didn't do this cycle). Every time i hear someone's opinion i seem to sway to one side, but I always end up back at a 50/50. Can't wait for this decision-making to be over so I can start mentally preparing myself for what's next...

boomboom, you would forego becoming a PA for a year for a CHANCE to get in to UF when you have been accepted at another program.  If it were me I would accept the position at NOVA, you will still be a PA.  Go with the sure thing, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. I would kill to have a sure thing, instead of these two wait lists I'm on.

Has anyone that was not invited to interview received an official rejection letter yet? 

aliss929, I did not receive an interview and have not received a rejection letter either.  I actually haven't heard anything from UF, only the receipt of payment for supplemental app.

aliss929, I did not receive an interview and have not received a rejection letter either.  I actually haven't heard anything from UF, only the receipt of payment for supplemental app.

Same here.  Really unprofessional if you ask me.  I understand that they have a lot of applicants to deal with, but so do other schools.  All the other schools I've applied to have been in contact with me throughout the whole process.

• 4 weeks later...

OMG, I just got my acceptance call from Melinda today! I am beside myself right now.  Today is an insane day as my wife is currently in labor as well.  Don't give up hope all you people on the wait list and if this year isn't your year then it's not your year.  Keep working hard and don't give up on your dream, re-app is right around the corner!  Good luck all and see you soon class of 2016.

Michael

• 1 month later...

Hey future Gator PA's... the NHSC scholarship application opened today. It's a great way to go to school debt free if you're interested in serving the medically underserved after graduation. I'm still working at my NHSC site even though I completed my "time" in August. Let me know if you have any questions!

• 5 weeks later...

Hey future Gator PA's... the NHSC scholarship application opened today. It's a great way to go to school debt free if you're interested in serving the medically underserved after graduation. I'm still working at my NHSC site even though I completed my "time" in August. Let me know if you have any questions!

Hey Woodsters, I tried to send you a PM but it says that you aren't receiving anymore. Inbox full maybe? 

If you are able to PM me and give me an email address, I got a few Qs for ya. 

Edit: Nevermind. We already have a PM thread open. Check your inbox. 

Archived