Any moral/financial objection to this?

Having a friend or self write a script for antihistamine or steroid intranasal spray is one thing. However, you want a script authorizing use of untaxed funds to purchase a "medically necessary" product .... i dunno. I have no moral objection to this provided you need it. However, someone might have a legal objection? A filter could cost hundreds of dollars right ? Maybe you should have someone else authorize it. Does your hospital/inst audit FSA spending ? Would the IRS ever review authorization of these things if you are audited? Maybe I am overthinking this.

FSA drugs and products are federally regulated. It is not up to the insurance company or employer as to what is covered. Here is the official IRS description. http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p502.pdf Upon quick review, I do not see HEPA air filters as eligible expenses. I would imagine it would be an uphill battle trying to convince the IRS otherwise ;)

That link has to do with itemized medical deductions for tax purposes. This is NY's FSA website. It doesn't specifically mention air filters, but they are eligible when perscribed for a medical condition.

There are rules about how long a perscription is valid for FSA purposes and each FSA administrator seems to have their own rules (or at least selective enforcement) about that, so be careful.

Archived