My husband is a Physician Assistant and works Trauma and trauma ICU at a level 1 trauma hospital in MInneapolis. My question to you would be why he couldn’t do your work with Doctors without boarders. He does everything a doctor does and assists in surgery. He takes care of critically insured and sick patients. I think you need to research what PA’s are capable of and how they would benefit your organization.

DWB is a PHYSICIAN run organization

For years that have said what Boats said - now it is a crock o poop now....

20 years ago maybe

now nope

I went with www.capecares.com and was treated as a physician, even when carrying huge amount of drugs (legal ones) through customs into honduras.....  I practiced what I knew and sent out the rest. same as a doc...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rev ronin said:

I thought it was MSF... Medecins sans Fromage, or something like that?

no they have plenty of cheese. They only lack respect for anyone who is not a doctor. When I was in Iraq with NYCMedics in 2017, we were in charge of the sector next to the one run by MSF. They had a suicide bombing in their area with > 60 patients and asked for a mutual aid response. We sent a PA (me), a nurse, and 2 paramedics. On arrival, they said they really only needed doctors.....um, you could have said that before you had us drive 20 minutes through an unsecured area, in which our minder had to fire his weapon in order to get crowds away from our ambulance. 

This relationship, or lack thereof, between PAs and MSF is an interesting backstory in my new book The Stones of Yemen, (which will be released on Jan 31). It was based on my personal interaction with them in Pakistan, conversations with EMEDPA, and the fact that their director of HR was a patient of mine (American-French nurse who worked for about 5 years as their HR director in Paris). She made it clear that they would never, ever accept PAs into their ranks and even NPs would have to work as RNs (at least when she told me that around 2015). However, as said above, there are many other groups that will welcome PAs. But it is more challenging in parts of the world because of the lack of international acceptance. I worked for two years in Egypt, six months in Cyprus, both under the radar.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ventana said:

Where to buy that gets you the most commission????

That was kind of you to ask. I do not write for profit, but it would be nice to get back a portion of what I spent on research and etc..When you buy a physical form, paperback and hardcover, Amazon  (or whoever) gets 60% off the top and cost of printing is another almost 39% (that leaves 1% for the authors, and I think it is the same in music). So, the audio book (which Amazon doesn't touch) and the Kindle (which they touch but there is no printing cost) gives the author about 10%. My greatest benefit is for PAs or whoever, to read it and thoroughly enjoys the ride. That's what makes me happy. I also want the PA-novice, to read it and to think, "Damn, those PAs know what the hell they're doing!"

29 minutes ago, ventana said:

• Like 2