Doctorate of Physician Assisting ???

47 minutes ago, sas5814 said:

as much as it pains me to say it our title is still assistant. That has to be changed state by state and, until it is, the AAPA making the title change policy....doesn't change anything.

Legally my title is defined by the state

but emotionally I am already an associate and what the heck is a doctorate in assisting??? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, ventana said:

Legally my title is defined by the state

but emotionally I am already an associate and what the heck is a doctorate in assisting??? 

I guess the school could call the program anything it wants to. They aren't licensing people and aren't bound by a medical board. The better choice would be Doctorate As A Physician Associate. I think that's what it said on my BS degree.

For half a second I was reading the specs on this program and thinking it was reasonably priced and then I realized I don't need another doctorate and I'm retiring in .... (looks at desk blotter)...1168 days. Take out vacation, federal holidays and all allowed sick days and that drops to 1021 work days. Remove weekends and its 865 days.  But who is counting?

Edited by sas5814
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Administrator

There's another one in MA: https://www.mcphs.edu/academics/school-of-physician-assistant-studies/physician-assistant/physican-assistant-studies-doctor-of-science

I won't recommend them and won't hire their graduates. I don't care if they are cheaper and shorter than my almost-finished ATSU 36 unit DMSc.  The university and program leadership that tries to sell a subservient doctorate are at best tone deaf.

There are probably dozens of other PA doctorate programs operating right now. Why on earth would someone choose one of those?

• Upvote 2

On 12/16/2022 at 3:13 PM, sas5814 said:

as much as it pains me to say it our title is still assistant. That has to be changed state by state and, until it is, the AAPA making the title change policy....doesn't change anything.

I don't agree with it. Our professional body determines our title, even though legally we may have to follow state law with patients.

The issue with all titles except the ones that specifically have words PAs in them (not that I advocate their use) is that any program can use them and does not have to be specific for PAs. Whereas only nurses can pursue a DNP degree. Same issue with our Master's degrees not being standardized to one title.

On a side note, I am far from impressed with that Touro faculty most of whom seem to lack any doctorate degrees themselves starting with the program director. Seems like a money grab. The curriculum seems to be mostly a rehash of PA school 

Edited by iconic

The only benefit is cost.  I entertained the DMS/DMSc in the past. Cost and time in (going back to school mode) etc ruled it out for me. I dunno, maybe if a school ever comes up with a program that just performs an audit of my PA program PLUS my post graduate MS credits and grant me a DMS/DMSc for say 10-15k sign me up! 

22 hours ago, Joelseff said:

The only benefit is cost.  I entertained the DMS/DMSc in the past. Cost and time in (going back to school mode) etc ruled it out for me. I dunno, maybe if a school ever comes up with a program that just performs an audit of my PA program PLUS my post graduate MS credits and grant me a DMS/DMSc for say 10-15k sign me up! 

This sounds like a money grab, however I think you might be able to find a program that allows you to transfer some credits and would come out to 15k for the remainder of the program 

1 hour ago, iconic said:

This sounds like a money grab, however I think you might be able to find a program that allows you to transfer some credits and would come out to 15k for the remainder of the program 

They're all "money grabs" in one way or another at this point since the doctorate is not yet mandatory. I am hoping the doctorate does not become mandatory in the next 15 years (that is when I plan to retire 😉).

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Joelseff said:

They're all "money grabs" in one way or another at this point since the doctorate is not yet mandatory. I am hoping the doctorate does not become mandatory in the next 15 years (that is when I plan to retire 😉).

I am sure you'll be fine; unsure about PAs who plan on practicing for next 40 years. I believe nurses are making DNP entry level by 2025 

Is there, not likely, any chance for PAs to get on the same page professionally. Why can't the certifying board say all PA degrees are called____ such as Master of Medical Science PA studies.  Then all doctorates also the same. DPA already indicates doctor of public administration, DMS is Diagnostic medical Sonography(or something similar).  DMSc, when typed into search comes up Doctorate in Medical science described as advanced education for PAs. Individual programs don't use best marketing because PAs in general don't follow best marketing strategies as a profession. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Hope2PA said:

Is there, not likely, any chance for PAs to get on the same page professionally. Why can't the certifying board say all PA degrees are called____ such as Master of Medical Science PA studies.  

That ship probably already sailed, but if someone was to do it, it would have to be the accrediting body (ARC-PA) and not the certifying body (NCCPA).

1 hour ago, Hope2PA said:

Individual programs don't use best marketing because PAs in general don't follow best marketing strategies as a profession. 

Truer words have seldom been spoken!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Hope2PA said:

Is there, not likely, any chance for PAs to get on the same page professionally. Why can't the certifying board say all PA degrees are called____ such as Master of Medical Science PA studies.  Then all doctorates also the same. DPA already indicates doctor of public administration, DMS is Diagnostic medical Sonography(or something similar).  DMSc, when typed into search comes up Doctorate in Medical science described as advanced education for PAs. Individual programs don't use best marketing because PAs in general don't follow best marketing strategies as a profession. 

Latest thing I've noticed some DMSc thinking that their program is better than others (looking at you LMU).. where in fact a variety of programs in my opinion is a good thing. Do agree that degree names should be standardized.. 

Edited by iconic
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ventana said:

If everyone just stops applying to the DPA programs they will figure it out quick. 

That assumes a level of intelligence that might not exist in academic administration. If you really want to make a change, make it explicit. If you get marketing materials from them, reply that you are interested in a doctoral degree but would never go to a program called a DPA program. 

I got a reply to my email yesterday saying they chose the name because ARC-PA isn't allowing the use of anything but "assistant" in schools. I am a bit confused because this isn't a PA program and ARC-PA's opinion shouldn't matter at all. I wanted to follow up with some questions but decided I wasn't really all that interested.

They sound clueless (once again who on their faculty even leads the program?). ARC-PA does not accredit Doctorate Programs for PAs. I would like to see reputable schools start DMSc programs, instead of these money grab places

If anyone is interested in ARC-PA work: 
https://www.papathpodcast.com/s3e50-ARCPA/

She actually comments that ARC-PA does not want to be involved with setting requirements for Doctorate programs for PAs

Edited by iconic
  • Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, iconic said:

If anyone is interested in ARC-PA work: 
https://www.papathpodcast.com/s3e50-ARCPA/

She actually comments that ARC-PA does not want to be involved with setting requirements for Doctorate programs for PAs

The ARC-PA likes to come across as warm and fuzzy and helpful, but once you have to deal with them they show their true colors. They keep cycling the same like minded board members through, and it has docs on it from orgs that hate us, namely AMA and AAFP.

• Upvote 2