On 7/22/2022 at 10:42 PM, JMarshallB said:

Brother 

If you’re 82 years of age at your next cycle to recert, and you are working you should get an honorary certificate 

oh god no..... doc i worked with was like 8o something. I took over his panel after medical issue.  He should not have been in practice any more

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

Ok, so I know there’s not a specific number of questions to get right to pass, but does anyone know what the average passing score is or even the average score is?

@rev roninyou said you aimed to stay above the average score each quarter. What was that score on average? I’m just trying to set a goal in my mind for when I do review questions. 
I’ve been doing ACS, trauma, some surg crit care since graduating so I have some primary care to review…

I start panre-la next month and got their intro email yesterday. Apparently, when you miss a question they tell you why and often provide the same question again the next quarter. If you get it right the 2nd time , they erase your prior poor score with the better one. Not too worried about this format...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EMEDPA said:

I start panre-la next month and got their intro email yesterday. Apparently, when you miss a question they tell you why and often provide the same question again the next quarter. If you get it right the 2nd time , they erase your prior poor score with the better one. Not too worried about this format...

where did you read this? I'm not worried about it but this is news to me.

• Administrator
15 hours ago, mile2one said:

Ok, so I know there’s not a specific number of questions to get right to pass, but does anyone know what the average passing score is or even the average score is?

@rev roninyou said you aimed to stay above the average score each quarter. What was that score on average? I’m just trying to set a goal in my mind for when I do review questions.

I really don't know.  I do know that it gave you realtime feedback, and that average was more than passing, so I knew that if I stayed above average in everything, I should be good. And yeah, if I can't pass everything as a Family Med PA, I have a serious issue...

Directly from the email:

-- FEEDBACK: You will receive immediate feedback on each question you answer, including the correct answer, explanation, and references. These questions are then stored in an “Item History” for you to review prior to beginning a new quarter’s questions, if you choose. To facilitate learning and reinforce your knowledge, you will receive 5 questions each quarter on topics seen in previous quarters. Remember that if you answer a repeat topic question correctly the second time you see it, we will discard your first incorrect response and count the most recent one.

On 7/23/2022 at 3:59 PM, ventana said:

oh god now..... doc i worked with was like 8o something. I took over his panel after medical issue.  He should not have been in practice any more

It is a situation any of us could fall into. If you really like what you do and want to keep doing it -- and are willing to keep up to date with medical advances --  then it remains a concern that someday you may have done it too long for your patients' benefit. That's something we have to watch for, through our eyes and those of the people around us. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, ventana said:

Just did my first batch of questions - about 30 min, looked two up

most were straight forward

92% correct

bring it on.....

you did all 25? Nice! I am waiting until I have some quiet time and 2 screens so I can have my reference material already open and ready to go

• Administrator
2 hours ago, sas5814 said:

UpToDate is the only thing I am planning on using

Fair warning: it's slower. I tried UpToDate on the pilot, abandoned it for Medscape and Wikipedia. UTD is a great comprehensive platform, but its strength is not 2 minute (because that's how much time you will have left) lookups.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, sas5814 said:

you did all 25? Nice! I am waiting until I have some quiet time and 2 screens so I can have my reference material already open and ready to go

About 30 min 

I don’t treat all ages so those out of my age I looked up (2 questions)

if you are a good pcp it is straightforward so far

18 hours ago, ventana said:

Just did my first batch of questions - about 30 min, looked two up

most were straight forward

92% correct

bring it on.....

I got 92% correct as well.

It is a little anxiety provoking that we do not know what the "passing score" is.

Does that mean we hope our peers perform worse then we did??  😂

Gosh, what a complicated and archaic idea. To recert in the first place is asinine. Now to make it last a whole year. Thumbs down. 
hopefully in 8 more years they can do away with this process and settle for CME. That is unless we are granted FPA, then I can see a somewhat more reasonable reason for repetitive board certification exams. Even then- 👎 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JMarshallB said:

How did you prepare for it? I have been doing Rosh test bank questions, timing myself, narrowing down the answers to 1 or 2 and using Goolge to support  or reinforce my choice

If you are in primary care you probably don't need much prep. Beyond that I don't really have a suggestion other than have you references ready to go.

• Upvote 1