The application period will open later this year for PAs who are due to recertify in 2024, 2025, and 2026 and want to participate in this new process. The registration period will close December 15, 2022, and the first block of exam questions will be available in January 2023.

Does this mean that if your recertification is due in 2023 and 2024 you are eligible for the new test?  Or anyone past their 6th year in the 10 year cycle is not eligible until the next cycle?

• Administrator
1 hour ago, ShakaHoo said:

I contacted NCCPA - and they said that I WOULD be eligible for the PANRE-LA, which is interesting- because as you said - it will carry past my 10 year cycle.

The pilot exam had to be started, not completed, before the scheduled expiration date.  They did year-to-year extensions for folks participating in the pilot program who were set to expire, which included me.  I suspect this may be the last time they do that, now that they've made this process official, because the final process wasn't approved and available for you when you would have had to enroll in it to complete it before your expiration date.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator
5 minutes ago, PAinDerm01 said:

So @rev roninif my 9th year to recert is 2023 and my 10th year is 2024. Let’s say I start PanreLA in my 10th year I only have 1 year to complete it? Or does it extend x 3 years from start date?

I'd ask NCCPA, but for the first folks in the pilot, it allowed you to year-by-year extend your recertification until it was completed.  I do not think they will allow you to complete it other than in the scheduled manner, but again, I'm not the NCCPA.

@rev roninok I just emailed them this question: “I reviewed your FAQ page and cannot seem to find the answer to my question. I originally took Pance in Nov 2014 so my 9th year to recertify is 2023 while my 10th year is 2024. Given registration begins July 2022 to Nov 2022 for opening PanreLA block in Jan 2023, does this mean I only get 8 of 12 quarters to pass exam? Or if I begin in Jan 2023 does this extend my ability to pass over 12 quarters? This is assuming 4 quarters per year (3 years = 12 quarters) but I will theoretically only have 2 years or 8 quarters to pass, correct? “ 

Let’s see what they say…

Official answer from Nccpa:

Thank you for your email. If you can pass the PANRE-LA within the first eight (8) quarters, your certification will continue business as usual. However, if you do not pass the PANRE-LA within the first 8 quarters, your certification will be extended for one (1) year which will allow you to complete the last four (4) quarters of the PANRE-LA. If you are unable to pass after completing all 12 quarters, your certification will be extended for one (1) more year to allow you to take the traditional PANRE up to three (3) times in that one year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrator
2 hours ago, PAinDerm01 said:

Does anyone know how many minutes you get per PANRE-LA question? Is it even feasible to have time to look at any references? I read its 1 min or 5 min per question, not sure which

In the pilot, it varied from 2 to 5 minutes per question, but all 25 questions in a particular quarter had the same time limit, IIRC

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator
44 minutes ago, JMarshallB said:

How many questions can you miss in a single block of 25 when taking the PANRE-LA?

It's going to vary. I don't know that there's any fixed number, but I was shooting to stay above the average score every quarter of the pilot, which was of course a good bit higher than the passing threshold.

• Administrator
43 minutes ago, JMarshallB said:

In essence, what I am trying to find out is what score you need to achieve to pass the quarterly exam and move on to the next quarter

That part is opaque, and probably intentionally so. Basically, just take each question as it comes, give your best multiple-choice response in 5 minutes, and move on.  There's no waiting, the answer is insta-graded and you get to see the rationale right away. At no point did I NOT pass a quarter, so I have no idea what that would even look like.

2 hours ago, JMarshallB said:

Ok

so the next logical question is how do you prepare for this test?

make sure you know your login to UpToDate?  Just kidding...sort of, but also curious myself.  I'm probably still going to do a review course for CME/review since I work ortho...but wouldn't mind having some other resources available.

• Administrator

If you're in family medicine, you don't need to prepare.  I suspect EM, Peds, and IM would also do just fine.

This is designed to be not a test one studies for, but rather that verifies that one hasn't forgotten the basics. You have 5 minutes to look up things, which is enough for people who remember the basics of medicine to pass the test.

On the pilot, however, UpToDate was NOT my favorite resource--it doesn't have things laid out for 15-second snippet views. I actually used Medscape a lot more.