Medical Insurance with 1099

Do any of you know if there are any health insurance companies or plans that are offered to health care providers for a cheaper rate, when purchasing it by yourself?

I left my full time W4 PA hospitalist job as a new grad a few months ago (I was there for not even a month). I had benefits with that position.

Now I am an independent contractor, making a lot more money, I set my own schedule, have tax write offs with the job… I have a full time job and also I work with a locum tenens agency to find other jobs per diem in urgent cares and etc. Fairly new with this 1099 life, but I am definitely happy with my decision.

Only issue is not having any benefits, and having to purchase it myself. I am trying to find the best plan, but one that is affordable and trying to compare my husband’s health insurance plan with one we might possibly get on our own. Any advice on what health plans have worked for any of you?

If you do not have a spouse to get insurance from then healthcare.com, or alternatively look into Christian Healthcare Ministries or other cost share plan.

You cannot simply pay your medical bills and write them off as a business expense.  Well, you CAN, but when the IRS catches you it's gonna suck.

https://smallbusiness.chron.com/can-business-owner-deduct-medical-expenses-65034.html

Being 1099 is a challenge. I have been doing it for 4 years now. Make sure to pay for a disability policy, life insurance, medical/dental/vision, retirement. etc. Basically anything that your employer used to pay for is now on you. Yes, you can write off a bunch of stuff, but to get this right you should have an accountant. My taxes are very complicated now with 4 clinical positions and a teaching position, some 1099 and some W2, so I would not think of doing this on my own. They take care of monthly out of state business taxes, quarterlies, etc. Also, an accountant is tax deductible. 

4 hours ago, Boatswain2PA said:

If you do not have a spouse to get insurance from then healthcare.com, or alternatively look into Christian Healthcare Ministries or other cost share plan.

Just remember there is NO guarantee they will pay your bill if they pray over it and the lord tells them that your sickness is a result of sin. Think I'm joking?  Go read the reviews....

3 hours ago, Cideous said:

Just remember there is NO guarantee they will pay your bill if they pray over it and the lord tells them that your sickness is a result of sin. Think I'm joking?  Go read the reviews....

No guarantee an insurance company will pay your bill either.  

Never heard about what you are saying.  The BBB has a small list of complaints about them, nothing about what you are saying.

https://www.bbb.org/us/oh/barberton/profile/health-sharing-ministries/christian-healthcare-ministries-inc-0272-124101648

Always gonna have some people (opinion writers, etc) cast shade on anything deemed "Christian".

I am certainly not an expert on CHM, but they are an option.

19 hours ago, Boatswain2PA said:

No guarantee an insurance company will pay your bill either.  

Never heard about what you are saying.  The BBB has a small list of complaints about them, nothing about what you are saying.

https://www.bbb.org/us/oh/barberton/profile/health-sharing-ministries/christian-healthcare-ministries-inc-0272-124101648

Always gonna have some people (opinion writers, etc) cast shade on anything deemed "Christian".

I am certainly not an expert on CHM, but they are an option.

Has nothing to do with being "Christian".  I would have the same concern if it was the Allah Health Network where all claims had to be prayed over and blessed by Allah first before payment was rendered.....Stop the persecution complex with Christianity.

2 hours ago, Cideous said:

Stop the persecution complex with Christianity.

I wasn't referring to you there princess.  

I hadn't heard anything about God telling CHM not to cover bills so I googled something like "complaints about CHM denying bills" (like you said I should).  That came up with the BBB site that had a few complaints, although nothing like what you allege.

Other than the BBB site was just a bunch of opinion pieces throwing shade on the CHM because, well, because of the C.

That's what I was talking about.

However, you just might protest too much.

Meanwhile, you are making allegations about a group without giving any examples to back it up.  Maybe you just read the opinion pieces. 

Now I will, again, admit I don't know much about CHM and you might be right.  They might pray to God about covering your herpes treatment and think He told them no, so you won't get your valacyclovir paid for.  I dunno, but I've never heard of that before.  

But for the OP looking for a health insurance type product, it might fit the bill which is why I brought it up.

Edited by Boatswain2PA

• Administrator

I use a health care sharing ministry. Biggest downside is 0 preventative care coverage. Cost is great, coverage has been 100% the three ER visits we've used it for over the years, red tape is less than traditional insurance. Biggest cultural mismatch is the number of superstitious people on the plan, which is encouraged by their alternative medicine reimbursement policies and their doctrinal requirements for board service. Trying to talk sense about any vaccines on their member forum is... Not pleasant.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Administrator
On 1/9/2022 at 2:49 PM, ventana said:

Strange.  You would think the people running these plans would realize financial benefits of vaccines.  I recently had 3 patients spend 2 weeks in ICU.   How much does 2 weeks in ICU cost???

It's about group virtue signalling, not about medical sense. There are a number of medical professionals I've seen who try to talk sense in one such ministry forum, who are generally treated in decidedly un-Christ-like ways by the remainder of the participants, while any post about anything will inevitably draw "helpful" comments about essential oils.

• 9 months later...
On 1/5/2022 at 4:55 PM, Boatswain2PA said:

Another great option is to fully fund an investment HSA.  Can use this for out of pocket (but NOT premiums), or just pay out of pocket and use the HSA as another pretax investment tool.

You have to have a HDHP to qualify for an HSA, which I do through my wife’s COBRA.  Interestingly, I can still fund my prior HSA account due to my being on HER HDHP and we fund the “joint” HSA for her.

• Upvote 1