Independent contractor

• Administrator
4 hours ago, OrthoPACNE said:

I am currently an employed Ortho surgery PA, wondering if anyone has experience setting up an LLC as an independent contractor?  I want to start my own business as a PA but would love suggestions for how to go about it! 

Haven't done one to hire myself out.  I didn't need a business entity to do 1099 work, but now that I've got my own clinic, being a PLLC seems to have been the easiest way to approach things.

Getting an EIN, group NPI, business license etc. wasn't that hard. You gotta do things in the right order--I had to have both articles of incorporation and a business license before I could open a business credit union account--that was the first time I'd heard about that.

Thanks for the feedback, is there a way to look up state specific laws for PA’s as independent contractors?  I have tried several internet searches but there are no straightforward answers to this question. My business would provide service to Nebraska and/or South Dakota, so I want to know if this is legal to do in one or both of these states before setting up an entity

• Administrator
On 12/5/2021 at 2:42 AM, OrthoPACNE said:

Thanks for the feedback, is there a way to look up state specific laws for PA’s as independent contractors?  I have tried several internet searches but there are no straightforward answers to this question. My business would provide service to Nebraska and/or South Dakota, so I want to know if this is legal to do in one or both of these states before setting up an entity

My best advice would be to reach out to those state organizations, I've got no clue, sorry.

There is VERY rarely any need, or benefit, to setting up an LLC if you are just doing independent contract work.  All you have to do work, get paid by a check, withhold and pay taxes quarterly, and then file taxes appropriately at end of the year. 

If your "company" is more geared toward sending OTHER providers (ie: being a locums company that subcontracts out), then an LLC could be beneficial because the contracts would be with the LLC and not your personally, so any breach of contract suits would be against your LLC and not you.

Perhaps giving us a better vision of what you want to do could help us help you more.

Edited by Boatswain2PA

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2021 at 2:07 PM, Boatswain2PA said:

There is VERY rarely any need, or benefit, to setting up an LLC if you are just doing independent contract work.  All you have to do work, get paid by a check, withhold and pay taxes quarterly, and then file taxes appropriately at end of the year. 

If your "company" is more geared toward sending OTHER providers (ie: being a locums company that subcontracts out), then an LLC could be beneficial because the contracts would be with the LLC and not your personally, so any breach of contract suits would be against your LLC and not you.

Perhaps giving us a better vision of what you want to do could help us help you more.

agreed

if you are working for others, with out a physical plant to maintain.

If you have an "office" LLC (PLLC) makes sense

Just make sure that you can get workers comp for either avenue...

bummer to get HIV from a needle stick (or broken nose or any other result of violence) that you don't have comp to fall back onto....