Age discrimination

I fear after years of proudly promoting our profession we are victims of our own success , with a plethora of new mostly young graduates being matriculated every year . In the past I have been excited for these fine young people . Now I find myself after nearly 40 years as a PA having been laid off due to corporate restructuring and unable to secure a position despite my aggressive year long search with impeccable recommendations . I have had many potential employers simply not have the courtesy to respond , and have received rejection letters stating that they hired in my specialty a more qualified candidate . After 40 years there simply couldn’t be a “more qualified “ candidate in the country , and my salary requests have been remarkably modest . I urge my fellow PAs’ to be aware that this may be in their future , any others out there had this experience? 

• Administrator
33 minutes ago, Lhyatt said:

I fear after years of proudly promoting our profession we are victims of our own success , with a plethora of new mostly young graduates being matriculated every year . In the past I have been excited for these fine young people . Now I find myself after nearly 40 years as a PA having been laid off due to corporate restructuring and unable to secure a position despite my aggressive year long search with impeccable recommendations . I have had many potential employers simply not have the courtesy to respond , and have received rejection letters stating that they hired in my specialty a more qualified candidate . After 40 years there simply couldn’t be a “more qualified “ candidate in the country , and my salary requests have been remarkably modest . I urge my fellow PAs’ to be aware that this may be in their future , any others out there had this experience? 

I'm so sorry to hear this has happened.  Coming from the tech industry, my experience of age discrimination has been quite the opposite--that as a 40s year old seeing patients for the first time, my age was a positive factor in receiving respect I didn't really deserve.

Now, "more qualified" can mean a lot of different things to HR than it might mean to us.  Do you have at least a master's?  If not, the new grad with an MS or MPAS is more qualified than you are, in HR speak.  Given that you started 40 years ago, you may have nothing more than a certificate.

I'd be interested to hear more specifics--specialty, geographic location, etc.--so we might be able to recommend additional things to try.  Have you looked at Locums work?

• Like 1

I echo the Rev as far as my experience. I was 60 on my first day as a PA.

There is no way for me to know if this is is relevant to your situation, but jobs without much chance of advancement often have issues like those you've come across.  The examples that come right to mind are school teachers who don't want to become principals and engineers who want to stay engineers, rather than become managers. They have found their niche and want to stay there: nothing wrong with that.

But each year, shiny new grads show up and, other than the initial transient needed for them to become competent at their new jobs, they may be viewed as more or less "pin-for-pin compatible" with the employees who are already there. They may be thought of as being more "trainable" (or "moldable" maybe), and may be had for less money than an older, experienced employee .

The only successful way of that that I've seen is for each person to maintain and grow their competence.  Learning to do new things so that the older employee has a broad range of skills that are relevant to the situation. When it comes time to market yourself, those are good things to tout, rather than leave the interviewer (or resume reader) with the thought that "this old guy has lived the same year 40 times."

You are who you are but maybe this gives you some ideas how you can sell yourself in new ways. Best wishes.

Are you sure it is not profession rather than age issue? I know of  experienced PAs struggling, late 30’, so young.. Many positions are being posted in the 60 mile area, and they are/have been applying to all but 2 specialties within past 5 months. Either have received no replies or have received notification of they are looking for NP. Some Postings have even said will accept NP no experience. Another was surgical, the hospital hired a FNP with no surgical experience that they are training and requiring first assist certification within a year.  surgical PA with nearly 5 yrs experience was not considered. Yes jobs are out there and increasing in number, just not always open for PA in an NP independent state. It’s not that older PAs have helped younger take their jobs, it’s that older, not necessarily you, did not allow the profession to advance, holding on to archaic thinking. I keep hearing it’s getting better, but is it really? It’s not fair that you can’t find a job, but what about the younger group who are stuck with debt and  realizing it may take a year or more to find a job.. Or mid career  who aren’t even close to retirement, no age discrimination, plenty of experience, but wrong degree. 

3 hours ago, rev ronin said:

I'm so sorry to hear this has happened.  Coming from the tech industry, my experience of age discrimination has been quite the opposite--that as a 40s year old seeing patients for the first time, my age was a positive factor in receiving respect I didn't really deserve.

Now, "more qualified" can mean a lot of different things to HR than it might mean to us.  Do you have at least a master's?  If not, the new grad with an MS or MPAS is more qualified than you are, in HR speak.  Given that you started 40 years ago, you may have nothing more than a certificate.

I'd be interested to hear more specifics--specialty, geographic location, etc.--so we might be able to recommend additional things to try.  Have you looked at Locums work?

Well you are on the right in regards to HR speak in that I have a bachelors degree which was the highest degree granted at that time anywhere , however the course requirements to sit for the exam remain the same despite the degree conferred .  But you are on track that that doesn’t translate in HR speak , yet 40 years experience should be worth something .You are also correct that my gray hair the last 15-20 years did garnish me with increased trust and respect . The majority of my experience is in surgery ,both General  and Cardiothoracic , with some moonlighting in ER/ short term care . I have/am also seeking locums preferably within 10 hour/500 Mile drive of eastern Tennessee. I suspect although this old soldier will never die but “ just fade away “ however . Thank you for your response 😊

1 hour ago, UGoLong said:

I echo the Rev as far as my experience. I was 60 on my first day as a PA.

There is no way for me to know if this is is relevant to your situation, but jobs without much chance of advancement often have issues like those you've come across.  The examples that come right to mind are school teachers who don't want to become principals and engineers who want to stay engineers, rather than become managers. They have found their niche and want to stay there: nothing wrong with that.

But each year, shiny new grads show up and, other than the initial transient needed for them to become competent at their new jobs, they may be viewed as more or less "pin-for-pin compatible" with the employees who are already there. They may be thought of as being more "trainable" (or "moldable" maybe), and may be had for less money than an older, experienced employee .

The only successful way of that that I've seen is for each person to maintain and grow their competence.  Learning to do new things so that the older employee has a broad range of skills that are relevant to the situation. When it comes time to market yourself, those are good things to tout, rather than leave the interviewer (or resume reader) with the thought that "this old guy has lived the same year 40 times."

You are who you are but maybe this gives you some ideas how you can sell yourself in new ways. Best wishes.

Thank you !

2 hours ago, Lhyatt said:

Well you are on the right in regards to HR speak in that I have a bachelors degree which was the highest degree granted at that time anywhere , however the course requirements to sit for the exam remain the same despite the degree conferred .  But you are on track that that doesn’t translate in HR speak , yet 40 years experience should be worth something .You are also correct that my gray hair the last 15-20 years did garnish me with increased trust and respect . The majority of my experience is in surgery ,both General  and Cardiothoracic , with some moonlighting in ER/ short term care . I have/am also seeking locums preferably within 10 hour/500 Mile drive of eastern Tennessee. I suspect although this old soldier will never die but “ just fade away “ however . Thank you for your response 😊

Hiring for CTS in Washington! Come on over! 🙂 (Up?)

• Upvote 1

It hasn't happened to me but it is on my mind. I'm in a job I plan on doing for 5 years to round out my federal retirement and then I'm going to go PRN or occasional somewhere. By them I'll be 66-67. I wonder if that will work against me in a market full of pliable youngsters.

1 hour ago, sas5814 said:

It hasn't happened to me but it is on my mind. I'm in a job I plan on doing for 5 years to round out my federal retirement and then I'm going to go PRN or occasional somewhere. By them I'll be 66-67. I wonder if that will work against me in a market full of pliable youngsters.

I am 66 now , thank you for responding .