2021-2022 application cycle

34 minutes ago, Jake408 said:

Did you check your spam/junk folder?

It took UCD only a few days to send me a confirmation e-mail after CASPA verified my application.

Is there anyone else still waiting for a confirmation e-mail from UCD?

- Jake

dudnt find anything n the spam either 😞

1 hour ago, sanaz said:

hello guys 🙂

I was verified last Monday by CASPA but I haven't received a confirmation email from UC DAVIS if they received my application yet. do you guys think I should still wait? or follow up with the school?

It took them 10 days to send my confirmation. For any school, I would probably wait a full 2 weeks or 10 business days before following up. I learned this early on because I also got anxious and contacted every school that didn't confirm my apps. It will come! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, slsorange said:

It took them 10 days to send my confirmation. For any school, I would probably wait a full 2 weeks or 10 business days before following up. I learned this early on because I also got anxious and contacted every school that didn't confirm my apps. It will come! 

Thats some great advice, thank you for sharing @slsorange

- Jake

• Like 1

4 hours ago, slsorange said:

it makes sense. thank you so much for the advise.

Guest PAinlovingmemoryofMom
4 hours ago, nuclearpineapple said:

Would people be comfortable posting their stats in this thread? I can start 😅

Overall: 3.57

Science: 3.43

B.A. in Biochemistry

PCE: ~4,000 as scribe/MA

Volunteer: ~100 hours

Overall: 3.21*

Science: 3.84

A.A. in Pharmacy Technology

B.S. in Information Sciences

M.S. in Biostatistics

PCE: 2,293 as a CNA

HCE: 7,920 working in R&D (with publications) + Pharm Tech

Volunteer: 250 for HIV Clinic + Nursing home

*Low undergrad GPA is attributed to declining health of family member for whom I supported. Most schools provide an opportunity to explain on the supplemental application.

3 hours ago, sanaz said:

Hi guys, 

on Caspa which overall GPA are we looking? there is overall and overall non-science which is listed at the end which one we are looking for the school?

Overall 🙂

But bear in mind that Davis also looks at prerequisite GPA. 

Also - to anyone who’s feeling self-conscious about comparing their stats to others’, please remember that all kinds of people get into PA school. It’s about so much more than just numbers. 💜💜

• Like 3

On 6/18/2021 at 3:09 PM, alysd said:

Hi @biopsyd, nice to see you again on the other end this time as a 1st year student!

My heart sank after reading this detail about overall vs baccalaureate GPA. This would be my third time applying to UCD, and I thought I had done a thorough job researching the program and reading everything on the website, but I think I never grasped that they continually say "bachelor's degree" GPA "at time of graduation" and to be anything unique, gien that most programs just consider your cumulative GPA to include anything you've taken that's not grad school. Do they really only consider your GPA prior to your bachelor's degree, and not anything post-bacc? If so, that means I should never have applied here 😞 I graduated with my BA over 10 years ago at a 2.68 GPA, then went back to school 5 years ago to work towards PA, with over 65 units of coursework since then @ 3.8 GPA which has resulted in an overall 3.1 and science 3.7. If I can't apply here simply because my GPA from over 10 years ago was below a 3.0 and there's nothing I can do about that now, that is a huge huge bummer. I emailed the program to clarify if this is correct. 

Just reading this too and noticed that too ugh. I didnt do so hot in undergrad then did post bac classes. What if I took physiology after I received my bacheror's?

3 hours ago, Patricia5827 said:

Just reading this too and noticed that too ugh. I didnt do so hot in undergrad then did post bac classes. What if I took physiology after I received my bacheror's?

From my understanding, UCD is very strict with how GPA's are calculated. Its very much different from how the majority of programs calculated GPA's. They use baccalaureate GPA & prerequisites science GPA which is very different. I know a few other people here comment on how to get around a low baccalaureate GPA, but outside of earning another BA/BS, I don't think there's much you can do. But of course, I would reach out to UCD to confirm all of this. I hope this helps 🙏

- Jake

Edited by Jake408

Overall: 3.55- downward trend

UCD Prereq: 3.59

Overall Science: 3.07 😞

B.S. Biology

PCE: 2400 

HCE: 2100 (ongoing at Mayo Clinic)

Volunteer: 1040 hrs (880 Volunteer leadership)

Shadow: 40 hours (PA)

LOR: 2 PA, 1 supervisor, 1 MD/Professor

I feel like my stats are really low - particularly my overall science. I failed OChem twice and Biochem once. However, my LORs are really strong. I also started a nonprofit donating masks to underserved. I feel like the applicant that just needs a chance to prove myself! 

7 minutes ago, MaddieQ said:

B.S. Biology

I feel like my stats are really low - particularly my overall science. I failed OChem twice and Biochem once. However, my LORs are really strong. I also started a nonprofit donating masks to underserved. I feel like the applicant that just needs a chance to prove myself! 

I don't think your stats are low. You have many positive attributes which makes you stand out. Like @alysd stated, its more than just GPA scores. Keep the faith @MaddieQ

- Jake

19 minutes ago, MaddieQ said:

B.S. Biology

You’re amazing!! Started a nonprofit donating masks to underserved communities! Your passion aligns beautifully with UCD’s mission. At 51yrs old I haven’t lost hope just hang in there & enjoy the journey. Recently I organized & delivered donations with excess supplies from ancillary kits provided to the vaccination clinic where I worked. During the peak of the pandemic, I donated & delivered groceries to help feed the Sisters who run the nursing home where I volunteer. As you’ve discovered there’s always an opportunity to serve others. It’s just a matter of taking the initiative!

1 minute ago, PAinlovingmemoryofMom said:

You’re amazing!! Started a nonprofit donating masks to underserved communities! Your passion aligns beautifully with UCD’s mission. At 51yrs old I haven’t lost hope just hang in there & enjoy the journey. Recently I organized & delivered donations with excess supplies from ancillary kits provided to the vaccination clinic where I worked. During the peak of the pandemic, I donated & delivered groceries to help feed the Sisters who run the nursing home where I volunteer. As you’ve discovered there’s always an opportunity to serve others. It’s just a matter of taking the initiative!

@MaddieQ & @PAinlovingmemoryofMom, you are both amazing people!

UCD would be luckily to have you both in their program 🙏

- Jake

@PAinlovingmemoryofMom & @Jake408 

Thank you guys!! This group has been incredible for the support and encouragement. You both have amazing backgrounds. It is my hope that this signifies that the entire goals and missions of UCD  brings similar individuals! 

@PAinlovingmemoryofMom: the drive you have to continue to pursue your dreams will surely sign through to wherever you are meant to be. I admire you!! I think the pandemic either helped or hindered a lot of our personal growth! Way to make the best of unfavorable times! 

@Jake408: I think your experience will definitely make you stick out. If I don't get in this cycle, I would love to pick you brain about your personal growth and development. Very strong background! 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, MaddieQ said:

@PAinlovingmemoryofMom & @Jake408 

Thank you guys!! This group has been incredible for the support and encouragement. You both have amazing backgrounds. It is my hope that this signifies that the entire goals and missions of UCD  brings similar individuals! 

@PAinlovingmemoryofMom: the drive you have to continue to pursue your dreams will surely sign through to wherever you are meant to be. I admire you!! I think the pandemic either helped or hindered a lot of our personal growth! Way to make the best of unfavorable times! 

@Jake408: I think your experience will definitely make you stick out. If I don't get in this cycle, I would love to pick you brain about your personal growth and development. Very strong background! 

@MaddieQ,

Thank you for your kind words. I hope we both get in this cycle. Either way, I'd be more than happy to pass down any of my knowledge or personal experiences with you. 🙏

- Jake

I gotta say guys, this specific thread is so encouraging! I love the vibe 🙂

Overall: 3.82

Overall Science: 3.94

Degree: BSN

PCE: 2072- 800 as a patient care tech and 1200 as NICU nurse 

HCE: 600- student nurse preceptorship

Shadow: 33 hours 

It is so interesting to see the diversity of this group! I feel like so many of you would bring something really special to the table.

• Like 2

Bachelor's GPA : 3.38

Overall Science: 3.07

Prereq Science: 3.72

PCE: 1500-2000 hours as a medical scribe in the ED and in an allergist/immunologist office

HCE: 1200 hours as a direct care aide for individuals with intellectual disabilities

Volunteer: 300 hours ( events and sports related)

Shadowing: 72 hours ( shadowing MD's in India)

Leadership: 600 ( water polo coach and aquatics program manager)

I also had a hard time in the beginning of my undergrad but that does not define US!! Good luck everyone!!

Edited by sarahrod
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, sarahrod said:

Overall : 3.25

Overall Science: 3.07

Prereq Science: 3.5

PCE: 1500-2000 hours as a medical scribe in the ED and in an allergist/immunologist office

HCE: 1200 hours as a direct care aide for individuals with intellectual disabilities

Volunteer: 300 hours ( events and sports related)

Shadowing: 72 hours ( shadowing MD's in India)

Leadership: 600 ( water polo coach and aquatics program manager)

I also had a hard time in the beginning of my undergrad but that does not define US!! Good luck everyone!!

For those of us wondering if it would help to earn a 2nd bachelors, I called CASPA to inquire. (To clarify, below explanation is not in reference to repeating a specific course that’s a separate discussion.)

I was told that no coursework/degree can be replaced, e.g. 2nd bachelors cannot replace the 1st. (Baccalaureate GPA category never changes. However several GPA categories can be improved, including post-bacc, cumulative undergrad, and overall. Of course science courses are reflected in these categories, if applicable). As I reread this thread I don’t believe anyone thought there was an option to rewrite history.

Back to the question posed to CASPA “Can earning a 2nd bachelors help me get into PA school?’’  Short answer: ‘It depends.’

Since everyone’s situation is different I’ll use mine as an example. With multiple post-secondary degrees & several post-bacc courses, I have accumulated a total of 266 credits! Realistically I will need more than a 2nd bachelors to move the needle from my overall GPA of 3.21.  I’m guessing/hoping your situation is more optimistic than mine!

(Above is a mute point if UCD focuses only on baccalaureate GPA but felt it worth sharing in case it helps someone.)