2021-2022 application cycle

37 minutes ago, PAinlovingmemoryofMom said:

For those of us wondering if it would help to earn a 2nd bachelors, I called CASPA to inquire. (To clarify, below explanation is not in reference to repeating a specific course that’s a separate discussion.)

I was told that no coursework/degree can be replaced, e.g. 2nd bachelors cannot replace the 1st. (Baccalaureate GPA category never changes. However several GPA categories can be improved, including post-bacc, cumulative undergrad, and overall. Of course science courses are reflected in these categories, if applicable). As I reread this thread I don’t believe anyone thought there was an option to rewrite history.

Back to the question posed to CASPA “Can earning a 2nd bachelors help me get into PA school?’’  Short answer: ‘It depends.’

Since everyone’s situation is different I’ll use mine as an example. With multiple post-secondary degrees & several post-bacc courses, I have accumulated a total of 266 credits! Realistically I will need more than a 2nd bachelors to move the needle from my overall GPA of 3.21.  I’m guessing/hoping your situation is more optimistic than mine!

(Above is a mute point if UCD focuses only on baccalaureate GPA but felt it worth sharing in case it helps someone.)

Here is the response I got from UCD, for anyone wondering!

"Thank you for your continued interest in the PA program at the Betty Irene Moore School of Nursing. We require a minimum 3.0 bachelor's degree GPA for entry to our program. This GPA policy is enforced by the University of California Office of the President and is in effect for every graduate program within the UC System. Unfortunately, bachelor’s degree GPAs are set upon graduation and are unable to be improved. We are unable to guarantee a review to applicants who have not met each of our requirements for admission. At this time, the only way for an applicant to improve a bachelor’s degree GPA would be to obtain a second bachelor's degree.

Michelle

School of Nursing Admissions Team"

• Like 1

Guest PAinlovingmemoryofMom
8 minutes ago, alysd said:

Here is the response I got from UCD, for anyone wondering!

"Thank you for your continued interest in the PA program at the Betty Irene Moore School of Nursing. We require a minimum 3.0 bachelor's degree GPA for entry to our program. This GPA policy is enforced by the University of California Office of the President and is in effect for every graduate program within the UC System. Unfortunately, bachelor’s degree GPAs are set upon graduation and are unable to be improved. We are unable to guarantee a review to applicants who have not met each of our requirements for admission. At this time, the only way for an applicant to improve a bachelor’s degree GPA would be to obtain a second bachelor's degree.

Michelle

Super helpful thank you for sharing! I will follow their advice!

Hey Everyone,

UCD is one of my top schools which I am anxious to get interviews for so let's take a stab at this.

Baccalaureate GPA: 3.1

S GPA: 3.2

Post-Baccalaureate GPA: 3.8 (Took 70 units of Science Courses lol)

Pre-Req GPA: 3.8 

PCE: 10,692 (OR Technician, Physical Therapy Assistant, Physiotherapy Assistant, Medical Assistant, ER Tech)

HCE: 5,422 (UCI Department Of Family Medicine, Geriatrics and Gerontology, Valley Regional Home Health and Hospice, Glendale Memorial Hospital ICU)

Shadowing Physicians and PA's: 832

Volunteering: AHA (Co-Marketing Board), ICU at Glendale Memorial Hospital, Committee for Armenian Students in Public Schools (Academic and Advisory Board), Kiwanis International, Armenian Student Association

Leadership: President of the Junior State of America Foundation, Glendale City Council, Scholarship Board of Sigma Pi

Research: UCI Health Promotion Campaign Proposal (Director of Campaign Proposal and Research)

• Like 2

On 6/24/2021 at 7:30 AM, Patricia5827 said:

Just reading this too and noticed that too ugh. I didnt do so hot in undergrad then did post bac classes. What if I took physiology after I received my bacheror's?

If you took physiology after finishing undergrad, you can use it as a prereq still. The grade just won't be factored into your "baccalaureate" GPA since it's post bacc.

On 6/25/2021 at 9:55 AM, PAinlovingmemoryofMom said:

For those of us wondering if it would help to earn a 2nd bachelors, I called CASPA to inquire. (To clarify, below explanation is not in reference to repeating a specific course that’s a separate discussion.)

I was told that no coursework/degree can be replaced, e.g. 2nd bachelors cannot replace the 1st. (Baccalaureate GPA category never changes. However several GPA categories can be improved, including post-bacc, cumulative undergrad, and overall. Of course science courses are reflected in these categories, if applicable). As I reread this thread I don’t believe anyone thought there was an option to rewrite history.

Back to the question posed to CASPA “Can earning a 2nd bachelors help me get into PA school?’’  Short answer: ‘It depends.’

Since everyone’s situation is different I’ll use mine as an example. With multiple post-secondary degrees & several post-bacc courses, I have accumulated a total of 266 credits! Realistically I will need more than a 2nd bachelors to move the needle from my overall GPA of 3.21.  I’m guessing/hoping your situation is more optimistic than mine!

(Above is a mute point if UCD focuses only on baccalaureate GPA but felt it worth sharing in case it helps someone.)

This was more a program specific thing rather than a CASPA thing. 

But yes, you are right. I myself took plenty of postbacc courses as well to improve my overall and science GPAs so I could apply to other programs. I would encourage others to do the same for the purposes of other programs. 

But yes, Davis specifically focuses on "baccalaureate" GPA. I think the idea is with a second bachelor's, they will use the baccalaureate GPA from that second bachelor's instead of the first for admission consideration. 

7 hours ago, biopsyd said:

This was more a program specific thing rather than a CASPA thing. 

But yes, you are right. I myself took plenty of postbacc courses as well to improve my overall and science GPAs so I could apply to other programs. I would encourage others to do the same for the purposes of other programs. 

But yes, Davis specifically focuses on "baccalaureate" GPA. I think the idea is with a second bachelor's, they will use the baccalaureate GPA from that second bachelor's instead of the first for admission consideration. 

Thank you for clarifying further and addressing our ongoing concerns. You’ve helped tremendously!

I’m looking into options for ABSN (15 months) to earn a second bachelors & improve my application for admission consideration.

On 6/26/2021 at 8:31 PM, sanaz said:

it has been almost 15 days since I got verified by CASPA but havent received the confirmation email from UCDAVIS yet. is there any body with same experience?

I'm experiencing the same thing. They are one of the few places yet to send a confirmation email saying they received my app. 

7 hours ago, CCLStoPA said:

I'm experiencing the same thing. They are one of the few places yet to send a confirmation email saying they received my app. 

how many days ago you got verified? I even emailed

UCDAVIS 2 days ago, but havent heard anything yet 😞

Hi everyone! Just received an email that UC Davis has received my application!!!!

They note that "The school will email applicants a notification of their application status by November 30, 2021. There is no secondary application needed at this time⁠— a select group of applicants will be invited to complete the UC Davis Graduate Studies application in the fall. Due to the high volume of applications received, we ask that you kindly refrain from calling or emailing the school with inquiries about your application status."

Submitted 6/11, verified 6/16. Looking forward to getting to know you all over the next many months. I have already appreciated all the info shared thus far!

• Thanks 1

For those that were following along with my previous communications with UCD about bachelor's degree GPA, here is the follow-up response that I received. 

"Depending on the application cycle, your application may be considered, however, this is ultimately based on how competitive the application cycle is. Please note, our programs are quite competitive so there is a very little chance that your application will be considered due to your GPA, thus we are unable to guarantee a review to applicants who have not met each of our requirements for admission.

Hope this clarifies things. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Michelle

After all that, I actually decided to throw my hat in and apply anyway even if there's a .001% chance. It's just $55, what the heck, might as well. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alysd said:

For those that were following along with my previous communications with UCD about bachelor's degree GPA, here is the follow-up response that I received. 

"Depending on the application cycle, your application may be considered, however, this is ultimately based on how competitive the application cycle is. Please note, our programs are quite competitive so there is a very little chance that your application will be considered due to your GPA, thus we are unable to guarantee a review to applicants who have not met each of our requirements for admission.

Michelle

After all that, I actually decided to throw my hat in and apply anyway even if there's a .001% chance. It's just $55, what the heck, might as well. 

Thanks for sharing the additional info @alysd

I think it's smart that you're still applying to the UCD PA program. If I were you, I would do the same thing. For $55, its a no brainer. I really wish you the best of luck this cycle. If its meant to be, you'll get in 🙏

• Like 1

@alysd I definitely support your choice in taking the leap of faith. All you need it one chance to prove yourself, even if it is that .001%! I am not sure if that same lady is part of admissions committee, but I know if I had told someone that news and still saw they applied, I would think very highly of their commitment and drive!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, alysd said:

Michelle

Well done! So glad you decided to take that leap of faith it will pay off!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I have applied for this cycle at UC Davis. I have a question regarding application. I have submitted verified application through CASPA. Is that it? DO I need to do any secondary application or anything? Everyone here just sent the application through CASPA only? Do I need to send anything else directly to UC Davis? Please let me know. 

Hi @hardik_ps,

Congratulations on applying! To answer your question, there is only the CASPA application. In the confirmation email they mention that a secondary applications is not needed at this time. It took 4 days to receive this email from UC Davis following my submission, so youll be able to see that same email shortly!

10 minutes ago, hardik_ps said:

Hello everyone,

I have applied for this cycle at UC Davis. I have a question regarding application. I have submitted verified application through CASPA. Is that it? DO I need to do any secondary application or anything? Everyone here just sent the application through CASPA only? Do I need to send anything else directly to UC Davis? Please let me know. 

I just filled out the CASPA application. I haven't received any follow up request for a secondary application. Has anyone experienced anything different? 

- Jake

On 7/27/2021 at 4:02 PM, DEPA21 said:

I took anatomy and physiology 6 years ago, do you think this will ruin my chances of being even considered for the program?

I found this on their website, not sure if you may have already seen this.

"* It is desired that the human anatomy and human physiology prerequisite courses be completed within the past five years of the date of application. Competitive applicants should self-assess their strengths. If it has been a number of years since courses were completed, applicants may want to consider retaking them."

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MaddieQ said:

I found this on their website, not sure if you may have already seen this.

"* It is desired that the human anatomy and human physiology prerequisite courses be completed within the past five years of the date of application. Competitive applicants should self-assess their strengths. If it has been a number of years since courses were completed, applicants may want to consider retaking them."

Thanks Maddie and Jake! 

Yeah, I saw that too. I reached out to them, and they said I didn't have to take another course but it would be considered if I did, so I am just going to take Anatomy again. Never hurts to have a refresher! 

Good luck to everyone as the application period ends! 

• Like 2

On 7/30/2021 at 9:31 AM, hardik_ps said:

Hello everyone,

Hi, 

I'm a first year student. They only send out the secondary if you are selected to proceed in the process. You need to pass the interview phase before they send the secondary.

If you submitted your CASPA application, the next step is to wait for interview invitations to go out. If they need anything else from you, they should contact you about that. Hope this helps! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1