2021-2022 application cycle

42 minutes ago, TAIsbell said:

Thank you @Jake408 I wish you the best of luck too! My cGPA is 3.5 and sGPA is 3.4! My sGPA took into account courses that I retook to improve my grade, so I let each program know of this and to request if they could calculate my GPA excluding the repeated courses. 

Very strong application. Great job! Hopefully we'll get interviews here soon 🤞

- Jake

Hello Everyone! I'm Cintia! I submitted my app on May 17! I received an email from UCD on May 24th to confirm that they received my verified app.

This is my first application cycle, and I am so excited, anxious and a little nervous... Wishing everyone positive vibes and many interviews to come! 🙏 

Edited by ccrodriguez

49 minutes ago, ccrodriguez said:

Hello Everyone! I'm Cintia! I submitted my app on May 17! I received an email from UCD on May 24th to confirm that they received my verified app.

This is my first application cycle, and I am so excited, anxious and a little nervous... Wishing everyone positive vibes and many interviews to come! 🙏 

Thank you Cintia. I wish you all the best as well!

- Jake

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ccrodriguez said:

How are you all preparing for interviews?

I bought a book via Amazon to help me prepare, but I am also interested in hearing how you're all preparing. Thank you! 🙏

https://www.amazon.com/Physician-Assistant-School-Interview-Guide/dp/1732076006

That looks like a great book. I may have to read it as well. I typically practice answering common interview questions with the wifey.

- Jake

15 minutes ago, Jake408 said:

That looks like a great book. I may have to read it as well. I typically practice answering common interview questions with the wifey.

- Jake

Hi Jake, 

Awesome! Thank you for the tip! I've been practicing in the mirror, but I think it's also a good idea to practice with another person. 

-Cintia

• Like 1

Hi everyone, 

My application was recieved on May 10th, I applied super early. I know the deadline is August but I was wondering if they are doing rolling admissions. When will they reach out regarding interviews. Does anyone know what the class size is for 2022?

Q. Does your school operate on a rolling admissions cycle?
A: No, please make sure applications and all required materials are submitted by the deadline for consideration. 

Found this on their website @Aarti

Also, I am loving the community and support in this group. An amazing first impression on the possible class members!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Aarti said:

Hi everyone, 

My application was recieved on May 10th, I applied super early. I know the deadline is August but I was wondering if they are doing rolling admissions. When will they reach out regarding interviews. Does anyone know what the class size is for 2022?

Last year they started sending invitations in late September. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Aarti said:

Hi everyone, 

UC Davis does not do rolling admissions. They review applications after the deadline! 🙂 

Last year I waited and applied 2-3 weeks before the deadline (to obtain more PCE hours) and got an interview. 

The class size is 65 for PA students. However, this is the last year of their current NP program, so idk if they'll be filling these NP spots with more PA students for the next cohort. Usually both NP and PA students are in class together. 

• Like 1

On 6/14/2021 at 4:14 PM, biopsyd said:

Hi everyone,

I'm a 1st year student accepted this past cycle! I'll be popping in occasionally and see how I can help. 🙂 

I saw alot of posts about science GPA. Just a heads up, Davis looks at different GPAs compared to what other schools traditionally use. For science GPA, they do not use the overall science. They use prereq science GPA, which only includes your grades for Human Anatomy, Human Physiology, Chemistry, and Microbiology with labs! (CASPA doesn't calculate this fyi). 

Similarly, they look at your baccalaureate GPA and do not use the overall GPA. That said, if you repeated courses at your university and did "grade forgiveness," it will count for Davis only! (CASPA doesn't do grade forgiveness for their overall GPA calculations). 

Hope this helps. Good luck everyone! 

Hi @biopsyd, nice to see you again on the other end this time as a 1st year student!

My heart sank after reading this detail about overall vs baccalaureate GPA. This would be my third time applying to UCD, and I thought I had done a thorough job researching the program and reading everything on the website, but I think I never grasped that they continually say "bachelor's degree" GPA "at time of graduation" and to be anything unique, gien that most programs just consider your cumulative GPA to include anything you've taken that's not grad school. Do they really only consider your GPA prior to your bachelor's degree, and not anything post-bacc? If so, that means I should never have applied here 😞 I graduated with my BA over 10 years ago at a 2.68 GPA, then went back to school 5 years ago to work towards PA, with over 65 units of coursework since then @ 3.8 GPA which has resulted in an overall 3.1 and science 3.7. If I can't apply here simply because my GPA from over 10 years ago was below a 3.0 and there's nothing I can do about that now, that is a huge huge bummer. I emailed the program to clarify if this is correct. 

37 minutes ago, alysd said:

Hi @biopsyd, nice to see you again on the other end this time as a 1st year student!

My heart sank after reading this detail about overall vs baccalaureate GPA. This would be my third time applying to UCD, and I thought I had done a thorough job researching the program and reading everything on the website, but I think I never grasped that they continually say "bachelor's degree" GPA "at time of graduation" and to be anything unique, gien that most programs just consider your cumulative GPA to include anything you've taken that's not grad school. Do they really only consider your GPA prior to your bachelor's degree, and not anything post-bacc? If so, that means I should never have applied here 😞 I graduated with my BA over 10 years ago at a 2.68 GPA, then went back to school 5 years ago to work towards PA, with over 65 units of coursework since then @ 3.8 GPA which has resulted in an overall 3.1 and science 3.7. If I can't apply here simply because my GPA from over 10 years ago was below a 3.0 and there's nothing I can do about that now, that is a huge huge bummer. I emailed the program to clarify if this is correct. 

Hi @alysd, yes I remember you too! 😁

Unfortunately yes, they utilize the bachelor's GPA on your transcript, which is final upon graduation. Post-bacc courses aren't factored into this GPA. Plenty of other applicants have asked me about this as well. One was advised to complete a 2nd bachelor's degree. This is really the only way I'm afraid. But if they tell you something different when they reply to your email, please let me know! 

Amazing improvement on your GPA btw! 🙂 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, biopsyd said:

Hi @alysd, yes I remember you too! 😁

Unfortunately yes, they utilize the bachelor's GPA on your transcript, which is final upon graduation. Post-bacc courses aren't factored into this GPA. Plenty of other applicants have asked me about this as well. One was advised to complete a 2nd bachelor's degree. This is really the only way I'm afraid. But if they tell you something different when they reply to your email, please let me know! 

Amazing improvement on your GPA btw! 🙂 

Thanks for getting back to me and clarifying. That is a huge bummer! I'm pretty baffled that I somehow made it through 2 application cycles (with swift rejections that make much more sense now) without grasping this from their website. That is a bizarre stipulation to have, especially since a lot of folks like myself graduated with degrees some time ago and go back to school later to become a PA. 

Thanks for the kudos. It's definitely been a journey. I actually did really well in junior and senior year of undergrad - and have gotten mostly As during post-bacc coursework - but my GPA has always been dragged down by flunking out my freshman year (15 years ago, lol) due to a mental health crisis. I guess I will be focusing my efforts on other programs, sadly. Thanks for bringing this topic up. 

• Like 2

Hi @alysd 

I am sorry to hear about your situation. Every school is different. 3.7 science GPA is amazing, you should definitely try to apply to other schools, some schools only count last 60 or 90 credits and to me your GPA is very impressive. I hope something works out for you and it’s not late to apply to more programs. You can get into PA school with your GPA. Good luck! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alysd said:

Thanks for getting back to me and clarifying. That is a huge bummer! I'm pretty baffled that I somehow made it through 2 application cycles (with swift rejections that make much more sense now) without grasping this from their website. That is a bizarre stipulation to have, especially since a lot of folks like myself graduated with degrees some time ago and go back to school later to become a PA. 

Thanks for the kudos. It's definitely been a journey. I actually did really well in junior and senior year of undergrad - and have gotten mostly As during post-bacc coursework - but my GPA has always been dragged down by flunking out my freshman year (15 years ago, lol) due to a mental health crisis. I guess I will be focusing my efforts on other programs, sadly. Thanks for bringing this topic up. 

Yea, I am unsure why they use the bachelor's GPA. Definitely pros and cons to this. I do feel they are pretty generous with their science prereq GPA requirement as well. 

Honestly, it's crazy that those courses from freshman/sophomore year come back to haunt you for graduate school apps. I know looking back, I could've done better in Gen Chem. lol But I know there are programs out there that will look past this and notice your upward trend. Do not give up. I feel you are so close to an acceptance! 🙂 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, alysd said:

@alysd

I'm very sorry to hear about this whole situation. Please don't let this keep you down. UCD is just one of many great PA programs out there. We all have setbacks in life, but we shouldn't continue to let it drag us down. Your current cGPA and sGPA are very impressive. Like you, I'm very familiar with adversity. I'm almost 40 years old and I'm trying to start a second career as a PA. I spent almost 20 years of my life working in the fire service before suffering a line of duty injury which forced me to retire early. Every set back in life is an opportunity for a come back. When one door closes, another one opens. Keep your head up and stay positive my friend. You will surely get in to a great PA program somewhere. 🙏

- Jake

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BryMcfly said:

What is up everyone! Sent in my app, waiting for verification! Anybody applying this cycle that is a former medic or EMT? I am a former paramedic myself and just curious who all is out there. 

Hey @BryMcfly

Welcome to the forum and congratulation on submitting your app to UCD. I'm also a medic. Got my EMT back in 2004 and then my medic license in 2007. Been grinding it out as a first responder for quite some time before making a decision to pursue the PA route. Are you no longer working as a medic?

- Jake

I am not @Jake408. I worked for a while in San Diego (EMT/Medic/ER Tech) and was initially going the fire route but fell in love with medicine along the way. Plus, working on the box over several years really wears ya down (im sure you know that) haha. This will be my first year applying so I am curious to see how everything pans out. Im hopeful that our experience as first responders and our schooling will be a solid foundation for us to build from as we go through school. Good luck on the journey

26 minutes ago, sanaz said:

hello guys 🙂

I was verified last Monday by CASPA but I haven't received a confirmation email from UC DAVIS if they received my application yet. do you guys think I should still wait? or follow up with the school?

Did you check your spam/junk folder?

It took UCD only a few days to send me a confirmation e-mail after CASPA verified my application.

Is there anyone else still waiting for a confirmation e-mail from UCD?

- Jake