2021-2022 Application Cycle

1 hour ago, MRAMBITION1488 said:

Hi everyone!

My name is James! I am from NC, but I love MEDEX's program so much I decided to apply! Best of luck to you all! I did have a question, where did you all find the supplemental application to fill out? I have been looking for it everywhere on their site and I can find it. Thanks!

They moved it on to CASPA this year. The questions in their tabs used to be on the website as a separate form. (Reapplication here 🙂)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MDalpias said:

They moved it on to CASPA this year. The questions in their tabs used to be on the website as a separate form. (Reapplication here 🙂)

I got an email earlier this year saying they would not have an additional supplemental app this cycle which is kinda nice for us! 🤗

also passed the initial screening! here we go guys 👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽

• Like 3

On 6/24/2021 at 5:39 PM, Stargirl22 said:

what's the different between the Prerequisites English vs composition English? 

I’m probably not much help. I used my college English class and another writing literature class for those prerequisites. If you sign up for an info sessions you could likely get clarification on it. 

On 6/24/2021 at 5:39 PM, Stargirl22 said:

what's the different between the Prerequisites English vs composition English? 

Last year I emailed the admissions team with this same question. I took two writing-heavy Literature courses in undergrad, and even submitted detailed syllibi, but they said since neither of them had "composition" in the title, I'd need to take an English Composition or Writing class specifically to meet that requirement. So I ended up taking a 100 level English Composition course at my community college last year which delayed my application til August 😞 ...still got rejected w/o interview lol BUT means I'm all set this year! Hope that helps 🙂 

First time applicant here, submitted to CASPA on June 29th, verified on July 1st. I haven't gotten anything from UW confirming that my application is moving forward. I have seen a few posts that it took up to two weeks to hear that. I am slightly concerned about one of my prerequisites not meeting the requirements. 

If your application is NOT moving forward, do you get an email from UW? So that you have time to quickly take another class or submit the syllabus to demonstrate that it meets prereqs?

thanks and good luck all! 

40 minutes ago, alvll said:

First time applicant here, submitted to CASPA on June 29th, verified on July 1st. I haven't gotten anything from UW confirming that my application is moving forward. I have seen a few posts that it took up to two weeks to hear that. I am slightly concerned about one of my prerequisites not meeting the requirements. 

If your application is NOT moving forward, do you get an email from UW? So that you have time to quickly take another class or submit the syllabus to demonstrate that it meets prereqs?

Hi,

It took roughly 1-2 weeks after verification for me to get the email from MEDEX stating that I fulfilled the requirements during both cycles. You will get an email from MEDEX within that timeframe to inform you!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alvll said:

It is my understanding that if your application is not accepted for faculty review, it will no longer be considered for the cycle and you’d have to re-apply next year. If there is a problem with a single prerequisite, they may reach out for the syllabus. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, medic1210 said:

Considering applying

cGPA/sGPA 2.4

Last 60 3.75 including Masters in Medical Science 

40k hours as paramedic

East coast resident 

hey! Sort of the same boat.

cGPA/2.78. sGPA/2.72

Finished a masters in physiology, last 60 is 3.84. (i know GRE is recommended, but not if you have a masters!)

16k PCE hours as a critical care and emergency room tech.

I'd say apply! The class profile last year for last 60 hours was an average GPA of 3.45! 

I just put my application in today 🙂

• Upvote 1

Hi! A little late in applying but I wanted to make sure I had a competitive amount of PCE hours first. I have been working on my personal narrative but now realize I am a little confused on what the formatting should be.  The instructions say "compose a persona narrative answering the questions below..." and then at the end states "remember to format the statements with a space between paragraphs."

Do you all interpret this as one essay that encompasses all the questions or answering each question separately in its own statement? 

Edited by Mmram

47 minutes ago, Mmram said:

Hi! A little late in applying but I wanted to make sure I had a competitive amount of PCE hours first. I have been working on my personal narrative but now realize I am a little confused on what the formatting should be.  The instructions say "compose a persona narrative answering the questions below..." and then at the end states "remember to format the statements with a space between paragraphs."

Do you all interpret this as one essay that encompasses all the questions or answering each question separately in its own statement? 

I answered each question separately. 

• Thanks 1

Considering applying here but not until August 7th when I finish my last 3 prereqs. Would it be worth it? Nervous since it's rolling 

cGPA/sGPA: 3.7/3.71

last 60 units 4.0

should be getting a 4.0 for this summer session

PCE: 4000+ as ob/gyn MA

HCE: 600+ as scribe for free homeless clinic

club president, biology mentor, and undergrad research assistant in ecology

have a sister who moved to seattle last year but otherwise no connection to washington

Letter of rec: supervisor from underserved clinic, MD, science professor

Shadowing: 40 virutaI PA, 0 PA in person, 70 MD 

• Like 1

On 7/7/2021 at 11:21 AM, alvll said:

Hi! One of my prereqs (stats) is in progress (I'm taking a self paced course right now that should be finished soon). My application was verified through CASPA shortly after submission on June 10th. I got an email on June 15th that I didn't meet their requirements because I didn't have a completed statistics course that meets their requirements. I emailed to clarify that I would still be eligible once my transcript is submitted- they said that I could update my application and contact them, which would put my application back in the pool as long as the course is completed and the application is re-verified by CASPA prior to the application deadline.

They said that the longer it takes the fewer interview spots will be left because of the rolling admissions. I had contacted them about my biostats class prior to applying and it didn't meet their requirements so I enrolled in a stats class through UNE whose syllabus they said meets their requirements. Hope that helps. Sorry its so wordy!

• Like 1

On 7/14/2021 at 10:24 AM, MeganSC said:

Considering applying here but not until August 7th when I finish my last 3 prereqs. Would it be worth it? Nervous since it's rolling 

cGPA/sGPA: 3.7/3.71

last 60 units 4.0

should be getting a 4.0 for this summer session

PCE: 4000+ as ob/gyn MA

HCE: 600+ as scribe for free homeless clinic

club president, biology mentor, and undergrad research assistant in ecology

have a sister who moved to seattle last year but otherwise no connection to washington

Letter of rec: supervisor from underserved clinic, MD, science professor

Shadowing: 40 virutaI PA, 0 PA in person, 70 MD 

I think that you should definitely apply, but I do understand your concerns! As a rolling admissions school, they are reviewing applications by July and inviting people to interviews in August. Interviews start in September and continue through January, so applying in August is "later" but not too late. 

One main thing from MEDEX is that they are looking for applicants that plan to serve in the WWAMI area and/or are dedicated to the underserved. Your scribe experience at the community clinic is great. One last thing is that their website states the average PCE of accepted students is  "a total of 6.5 years"   which would be like 13k PCE hours. They DO accept students with less hours, and students with a lot more hours hence the average. 

Good luck this application cycle at wherever you decide to apply! 

5 hours ago, Paigen1234 said:

Anyone hear anything yet? Applied 7/8 and received an email today saying my app is being passed on for further review. Just curious how long it should take to review if anyone’s got word yet!

Haven't heard anything...I was verified on 5/31 and received confirmation I meet all requirements/am moving forward in the process like 2 weeks after that. It's been radio silence since! The waiting is the hardest part! Hang in there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rachels91 said:

Haven't heard anything...I was verified on 5/31 and received confirmation I meet all requirements/am moving forward in the process like 2 weeks after that. It's been radio silence since! The waiting is the hardest part! Hang in there.

Same here! Was verified and met all requirements early June and now just hanging!