Ask a PA Admissions Director

paadmissions,

Thank you so much for answering all our questions! I submitted my supplemental app to a school on oct. 12 and have seen from that schools forum that people receive an email that their application is complete, usually around 3-4 weeks after submission. I have yet to receive that email. Do you think I should call/email the program to make sure their aren't any problems or just wait it out a little longer? I don't want to seem pushy. Thanks so much for your time!

@cota2pa Thank you for your questions!  I would follow up with the program by calling or emailing. Usually if that happens for our applicants our email gets lost in cyberspace so it's important you're not missing anything. Hope this helps!

paadmissions,

Thank you so much for answering all our questions! I submitted my supplemental app to a school on oct. 12 and have seen from that schools forum that people receive an email that their application is complete, usually around 3-4 weeks after submission. I have yet to receive that email. Do you think I should call/email the program to make sure their aren't any problems or just wait it out a little longer? I don't want to seem pushy. Thanks so much for your time!

I have a question for you about letters of reference.  I have moved a lot recently, and don't have doctors/ PAs that know me well.  I know I need 1 LOR from a dr/pa, but would it be better to get the other LORs from other lower level providers who know me better (the CQI and education person at my EMS agency I knew very well, but both are just paramedics)? 

@fakingpatience Thank you for your question. I would recommend you double checking the requirements for the LORs at the programs you're applying to. Some programs may have very strict requirements about who they want to see write a letter. If you see the phrase "letters must be from," rather than "letters should be from.." more than likely that means you have to have one from who they have specified.  I would also recommend you being a little more proactive about getting to the know the MDs/PAs who you're working with so you can rely on them if need be. If the programs are so strict about who writes the letters it may be ok to use the paramedics as a reference. Hope this helps. 

I have a question for you about letters of reference.  I have moved a lot recently, and don't have doctors/ PAs that know me well.  I know I need 1 LOR from a dr/pa, but would it be better to get the other LORs from other lower level providers who know me better (the CQI and education person at my EMS agency I knew very well, but both are just paramedics)? 

Hi again! Thank you with your help on my last question! I have one more if you don't mind:) I just got called for an interview on Tuesday the 3rd because a spot opened up. I am so excited, but also in a bit of a bind. I don't yet have a suit and have hard dimensions to fit( 5'2" and a size 12) so I will need even a petite department suit altered and am concerned with the holidays that I might not be able to get it done in time. Would a business type dress with a business jacket over it be seen as professional enough or does it always have to be a complete suit? Thanks again for your time!

I took your advice to wait out last cycle's information sessions while I was pregnant and having trouble walking.  I am back to normal now and the information session information for the 2014 cycle at my preferred local program is due to be posted in the coming week/month. Faculty contact information is listed on the PA program web site, so I wrote the program director to confirm whether prospective students were welcome so far in advance of their application cycle and ask whether I ought to be asking for input regarding my plan through another venue.  I received a note that faculty do not communicate directly with students, but I am welcome to come to this year's information sessions as I'd planned.

My question is: should I acknowledge receipt of the message with an apology or should I let the matter drop and proceed with reserving a spot in the information sessions without acknowledging the director's feedback?

I apologize for the trivial question, but I want to make sure I haven't made and don't make myself offensive to the local program I'd most prefer to attend in 2017.

Thanks!

@epangerl Thank you for your questions. I personally don't have problems with prospective students attending an information session in advance of when they're applying. However, if you're 5 years out from applying and if you have limited mobility you may want to wait until maybe next year to attend. Next year would be far enough in advance for you to see if there are things you can do now and that may take the remaining amount of time to complete (or at least help you space things out). Admission processes and/or requirements can change some in 5 years, but I think highly of those who are at my sessions to get a feel for what programs are looking for and what they need to do to plan things out. It never hurts to attend another one maybe a year out from applying just to make sure nothing's changed and that you're on track to meet requirements. I hope this helps!

Dear Paadmissions,
Thank you for answering a great variety of questions on this thread.
I'm already 35 years old, graduated early with a BS in a non-medical science from a top 10 university, dropped out of a MS program 10+ years ago (chose to relocate to better monitor elderly parents), 15 years of laboratory experience (academia, industrial, and forensic), and have several research publications. I have the minimum GPA for the local PA program, a very interesting resume, am in contact with the local PA chapter for shadowing opportunities, and plan to get EMT-B certification and HCE experience and take prerequisites before even applying. The local program does not require the GRE, but I plan to re-take it (1998 results were good enough for grad school) to offset the GPA.

My question is: How soon is too early to show up to information sessions at one's chosen program? It will be at least five years before I believe I can complete the prerequisites, let alone be competitive as an applicant. I was considering attending an information session to get a road map of what to do and introduce myself as a future applicant, but would it be better to wait in order to make a more positive impression? I'm in the 3rd trimester of pregancy with my third child, and have obviously limited mobility.

Thanks for your support.

@cota2pa Congrats! I think a business dress and jacket are acceptable attire for an interview. Of course, make sure nothing is revealing and that it is the appropriate length. Also, wear shoes you can walk in :) Best wishes!

Hi again! Thank you with your help on my last question! I have one more if you don't mind:) I just got called for an interview on Tuesday the 3rd because a spot opened up. I am so excited, but also in a bit of a bind. I don't yet have a suit and have hard dimensions to fit( 5'2" and a size 12) so I will need even a petite department suit altered and am concerned with the holidays that I might not be able to get it done in time. Would a business type dress with a business jacket over it be seen as professional enough or does it always have to be a complete suit? Thanks again for your time!

@epangerl Thanks for your question.  I don't think an apology email is warranted in this situation. I would proceed with signing up for the information session and encourage you to communicate with the admissions staff (if that's who they use as their first line of contact). I think I can speak for many programs, most of the time faculty members just forward me the email to answer. Hope this helps and best wishes!

I took your advice to wait out last cycle's information sessions while I was pregnant and having trouble walking.  I am back to normal now and the information session information for the 2014 cycle at my preferred local program is due to be posted in the coming week/month. Faculty contact information is listed on the PA program web site, so I wrote the program director to confirm whether prospective students were welcome so far in advance of their application cycle and ask whether I ought to be asking for input regarding my plan through another venue.  I received a note that faculty do not communicate directly with students, but I am welcome to come to this year's information sessions as I'd planned.

My question is: should I acknowledge receipt of the message with an apology or should I let the matter drop and proceed with reserving a spot in the information sessions without acknowledging the director's feedback?

I apologize for the trivial question, but I want to make sure I haven't made and don't make myself offensive to the local program I'd most prefer to attend in 2017.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

What is your policy on retaking classes after undergrad? Is is okay to just retake classes at a state university rather than go for a masters? I go to an ivy league school and as a senior I don't have time to retake classes during undergrad...if I take classes at a state school will it reflect poorly on me? It seems like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Thank you for your time!

@themickk Thank you for your question. I don't see it as a bad thing to retake classes at a state university as long as you're not having to retake a lot of courses. I f you have a lot of courses to retake I would encourage you to attempt to take some at your current school.  I am a fan of making sure your performance in the perquisites is strong before jumping into a master's program (if that is a route you want to consider prior to going to PA school).  We weigh the prerequisite GPA the heaviest out of all the GPAs and if you're in a master's or post-bacc program that does not allow you take courses that are relevant to coursework requirements it defeats the purpose of going through one of those programs. Yes, an accelerated post-bacc program and master's program demonstrates your ability to handle upper level, sometimes graduate level coursework, but will not replace or substitute requirements (at least for our program).  Be selective about where you take your courses and do your best to take as many courses at one time as it will only better prepare you for the rigors of any program. Hope this helps!

What is your policy on retaking classes after undergrad? Is is okay to just retake classes at a state university rather than go for a masters? I go to an ivy league school and as a senior I don't have time to retake classes during undergrad...if I take classes at a state school will it reflect poorly on me? It seems like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Thank you for your time!

Dear PaAdmissions,

Thank you for your wonderful Q&A. It really helped me out when I first began researching PAs. Now that I have fully decided to go for this route, I had a couple questions for you.

1. My HCE seems to be all over the place. I have 800 hours as a National Suicide Prevention Line Counselor (volunteer), Hospice at 300 hours (volunteer), Personal Care Aide/Home Health Aide at 600 hours (uncertified but paid), EMT at 200 hours (certified but volunteer) and now as a Medical Assistant in an Ophthalmologist's office (I take history and dilate patients). I have been told my time at NSPL does not count. So I was wondering if I was going in the right direction for my HCE. I find my work at the ophthalmologist's office amazing but is it good hce in the eyes of PA schools? Or are they looking for applicants with a broader range of experience? This has been worrying me to the point I am loosing sleep, believe it or not. I know the goal of the PA school is to look for as much patient care as possible and I am hoping that ophthalmology will fill that requirement.

2. My gpa is currently at about a 3.29 overall and a 3.09 in science (graduated as a Physics major which I do regret because of my low gpa). Many of the schools I am interested in seem to have an average gpa of 3.5. Am I out of the running? I was hoping they would see my major and consider me that way. I did well in the prerequs (nothing lower than a B). I also did ok in my GRE (Verbal 160: 84%, Quantitative 157: 69%, Analytical 5.5: 97%).  

I apologize for the long explanations and questions. I do appreciate any insight I could get from you. Thank you for your time and happy holidays!

@wrongc1405 Thank you for your questions and I'm happy to hear the thread has been helpful in confirming your decision to apply to PA school.  In regards to your questions:

1- You do have a broad range of hours, but I think your ophthalmology hours will count for most programs. I would encourage you to check out program websites just to be sure. If that type of position is not listed on a page about clinical experience or on a class profile, it does not hurt to contact the programs that interest you to make sure you're on the right track. I'm also pretty sure that your NSPL hours will not count for direct patient experience, but I would list it on your application as something you have been involved with.

2- Your overall GPA looks solid to me, and in my opinion, your prerequisite GPA needs to be within a range of 3.3-3.6 if your science GPA is lower. For our program, the science and prerequisite GPA are looked at differently. I can't say that is true with all programs. If you want me to look over transcripts you may email them to me at jmish@methodist.edu and I can look over them to offer a more thorough evaluation. I have no issues with your GRE score, so that's one less thing to worry about. 

Hope this helps!

Dear PaAdmissions,

Thank you for your wonderful Q&A. It really helped me out when I first began researching PAs. Now that I have fully decided to go for this route, I had a couple questions for you.

1. My HCE seems to be all over the place. I have 800 hours as a National Suicide Prevention Line Counselor (volunteer), Hospice at 300 hours (volunteer), Personal Care Aide/Home Health Aide at 600 hours (uncertified but paid), EMT at 200 hours (certified but volunteer) and now as a Medical Assistant in an Ophthalmologist's office (I take history and dilate patients). I have been told my time at NSPL does not count. So I was wondering if I was going in the right direction for my HCE. I find my work at the ophthalmologist's office amazing but is it good hce in the eyes of PA schools? Or are they looking for applicants with a broader range of experience? This has been worrying me to the point I am loosing sleep, believe it or not. I know the goal of the PA school is to look for as much patient care as possible and I am hoping that ophthalmology will fill that requirement.

2. My gpa is currently at about a 3.29 overall and a 3.09 in science (graduated as a Physics major which I do regret because of my low gpa). Many of the schools I am interested in seem to have an average gpa of 3.5. Am I out of the running? I was hoping they would see my major and consider me that way. I did well in the prerequs (nothing lower than a B). I also did ok in my GRE (Verbal 160: 84%, Quantitative 157: 69%, Analytical 5.5: 97%).  

I apologize for the long explanations and questions. I do appreciate any insight I could get from you. Thank you for your time and happy holidays!

I know that I have an uphill battle for acceptance into PA school. Here is my current situation. 

I was immature and unfocused during my undergraduate career, as represented in my abysmal GPA. 

Science GPA: 2.3

Non-Science GPA: 3.4   (all calculated by CASPA standards)

Cumulative GPA: 2.7

I look time off after graduation to understand why I didn't perform at a higher level and to find direction for the future.

I then spent 2 years serving in the Peace Corps. 

When I returned I enrolled in Undergraduate classes at Temple University as a continuing studies student. 

All science classes: 3.87 GPA, 30 credit hours so far. Classes include, Biochemistry I and II, Genetics, Anatomy, Histology, Research in Biochemistry, Endocrinology, Behavioral Genetics and Stem Cell Biology. With General Microbiology and Biochemistry Research planned in the spring. 

I took my greatest weakness in undergrad, biochemistry, and turned it into my greatest strength.  I am an official tutor and TA for Biochemistry II and will hopefully have biochemical research published in the spring. 

I also received an EMT-b certification. (1500 patient contact hours)

Home Heath Aide certification (500 patient contact hours)

PA and MD/DO shadowing at Temple University hospital (30 Hours)

With the classes at Temple, my overall science GPA is only at  a 2.7 

Should I plan on getting a 1 year special masters in Biomedical Sciences or do I have any chance of PA admissions for the 2014-15 cycle? 

I greatly appreciate any advice and guidance. 

Hi paadmissions. Thanks for all your help an insight! I would like to know what you think my chances of getting into PA school are. Here is my general information.

My overall GPA is a 3.4

Science GPA is a 3.2

I am an EMT since 2011 with experience as volunteer ems, paid EMT position in critical care/inter facility transports. I also ran the infirmary in an overnight summer camp with teenaged campers (400+). I also volunteered in the ICU in a hospital last year for ~ 6 months. I also work as a medical assistant in a pediatric office part time for over a year. I also am a CPR/Lifeguarding instructor (if that helps).

This is my HCE in a nutshell and I understand that without seeing all the rest of my info, you cannot give me a 100% clear response, but just curious what your take is. My only concern is my gpa. Should I be concerned ? Or my HCE outweighs that?

Once again, thanks!

@jesseadamg Thanks for your question! I do have to commend your post bacc work because you've taken quality classes, performed well and taken them at a reputable institution. I would encourage you to review the requirements for the programs your interested in to make sure you don't need to take or retake any additional prerequisite requirements. For example, double check that Organic Chemistry I and maybe II, Medical Terminology, psychology, etc. aren't outstanding and if you have taken them in the past, should you retake them? I am a fan of biomedical post bacc programs, but I caution applicants about enrolling in them if the majority of the courses are not relevant to counting for prerequisites. For example, an applicant may go through that program, perform well, and demonstrate his or her capability of doing well in upperlevel courses, but still have a low prerequisite GPA. I don't come across too many programs that allow substitutions for coursework, at least we don't, so you can show mastery of coursework in one area, but not show the academic potential in the required courses, which are required for a reason.  From the grad panels I've served on, I usually get the same feedback from other programs about that topic, so I'm fairly confident in that advice. Your HCE checks out to be solid and if the GRE is required make sure to be within a competitive range so it balances out your application. I hope this helps and best wishes!

I know that I have an uphill battle for acceptance into PA school. Here is my current situation. 

I was immature and unfocused during my undergraduate career, as represented in my abysmal GPA. 

Science GPA: 2.3

Non-Science GPA: 3.4   (all calculated by CASPA standards)

Cumulative GPA: 2.7

I look time off after graduation to understand why I didn't perform at a higher level and to find direction for the future.

I then spent 2 years serving in the Peace Corps. 

When I returned I enrolled in Undergraduate classes at Temple University as a continuing studies student. 

All science classes: 3.87 GPA, 30 credit hours so far. Classes include, Biochemistry I and II, Genetics, Anatomy, Histology, Research in Biochemistry, Endocrinology, Behavioral Genetics and Stem Cell Biology. With General Microbiology and Biochemistry Research planned in the spring. 

I took my greatest weakness in undergrad, biochemistry, and turned it into my greatest strength.  I am an official tutor and TA for Biochemistry II and will hopefully have biochemical research published in the spring. 

I also received an EMT-b certification. (1500 patient contact hours)

Home Heath Aide certification (500 patient contact hours)

PA and MD/DO shadowing at Temple University hospital (30 Hours)

With the classes at Temple, my overall science GPA is only at  a 2.7 

Should I plan on getting a 1 year special masters in Biomedical Sciences or do I have any chance of PA admissions for the 2014-15 cycle? 

I greatly appreciate any advice and guidance. 

@yiroels Thank you for your question! I'm assuming with your science GPA at a 3.2, that more than likely your prerequisite GPA is fairly close to that mark. If that's the case, I'm guess it's probably meeting and in some cases exceeding the numbers for some programs. That said, based on the applicant pool I've seen this year, you probably need to be in a range, with your prerequisites, of 3.4-3.6 to have more options. If the programs you're applying to require the GRE, that will be another factor evaluated I'm sure. Your HCE seems to be solid so no improvements are recommended in that category. I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions. 

Hi paadmissions. Thanks for all your help an insight! I would like to know what you think my chances of getting into PA school are. Here is my general information.

My overall GPA is a 3.4
Science GPA is a 3.2
I am an EMT since 2011 with experience as volunteer ems, paid EMT position in critical care/inter facility transports. I also ran the infirmary in an overnight summer camp with teenaged campers (400+). I also volunteered in the ICU in a hospital last year for ~ 6 months. I also work as a medical assistant in a pediatric office part time for over a year. I also am a CPR/Lifeguarding instructor (if that helps).

This is my HCE in a nutshell and I understand that without seeing all the rest of my info, you cannot give me a 100% clear response, but just curious what your take is. My only concern is my gpa. Should I be concerned ? Or my HCE outweighs that?

Once again, thanks!

I'm wondering if there are PA programs that offer application to waive pre-requisite courses due to health care experience?  I graduated from college 2004 so I'm hitting that 10 year mark and it seems as though I would have to go back and take ALL of my pre-requisite courses again.  I received at BS in dietetics and have been working as a Registered Dietitian in hospitals and clinics for the past 10 years. Please tell me there is hope for someone wanting to go back to school but doesn't have the most availability to work full time and take all the prerequisites again.

thank you

@annbrd Thank you for your questions. I'm almost 99% sure that most, if not all, programs require the coursework to be taken and HCE will not substitute for coursework. It's best to follow up with the programs that interest you, but I'm confident you will have to take or retake the coursework required. Hope this helps!

I'm wondering if there are PA programs that offer application to waive pre-requisite courses due to health care experience?  I graduated from college 2004 so I'm hitting that 10 year mark and it seems as though I would have to go back and take ALL of my pre-requisite courses again.  I received at BS in dietetics and have been working as a Registered Dietitian in hospitals and clinics for the past 10 years. Please tell me there is hope for someone wanting to go back to school but doesn't have the most availability to work full time and take all the prerequisites again.

thank you

Hello There-

I want to apply for PA programs next year in 2015. This is one of the prerequisites requirement of a program that i am interested in-

Pre-requisite Science Courses
8 semester hours of Human Anatomy and Physiology
4 semester hours of Inorganic Chemistry
4 semester hours of Organic Chemistry
3 semester hours of Biochemistry
3 semester hours of  Microbiology

How long does it take to complete this requirement if I join as a full time student? Is it possible to do it in 1 year, so i am ready for next year application?I am planning to join a city college here near my place. Also wanted to know how competitive are PA programs for a Foreign graduate and how competitive will it be in coming years.

Thank you and Best

Ray

Hello PAAdmissions Director,

I am in the process of getting my application ready for PA school and would like your input as to how competitive I will be. My stats are as follows:

Major: Biomedical Sciences

Undergrad GPA: 3.27

Undergrad science GPA: 3.17

GRE: 300 combined, 154V 146Q 3.5AW

HCE/Direct pt care: PT Aide at inpatient rehab dept in hospital ~ 500 hrs

Shadowing: ER (MD and PAs) ~ 51 hrs, Ortho Surgery (MD and PA) ~ 10 hrs

What do you think I need to improve on? Thanks so much for your advice. I really appreciate it.

PaAdmissions,

I have an opportunity to work as a medical assistant at a plastic surgeons office. Currently, I have about 1000 hours working as a phlebotomist.  I was just wondering if working as a medical assistant for a plastic surgeon would be considered quality health care experience or if I should look for more work in the phlebotomy field.  Thanks!

@imgpa Thank you for your question. Typically, these prerequisites would take at least an entire year to complete the coursework due to the sequencing of how these particular courses are offered at the university  level. For example, inorganic chemistry I and II are a prerequisite for organic chemistry, organic chemistry I and possibly II are required for Biochemistry. It doesn't hurt to request a meeting with an academic advisor at the school you're planning to attend to determine the timeline for completion. Or you can read their academic catalogue to review the information.  I would check with the programs you're applying to to see if there is a deadline of when the coursework has to be completed if you make application to their program with outstanding coursework. I would be sure of the deadlines before you apply so you're not wasting your time and money applying if you're not able to meet the deadline. In regards to the foreign graduate question, every program has different policies for foreign graduates and some programs do not accept foreign graduates. A lot of programs, including ours, require all prerequisites to be taken in the US regardless if they've been taken in another country or to have a certain number of hours completed in the US. If you adhere to the policies you should have a chance for admission as much as any other applicant would. I hope this helps!

Hello There-

I want to apply for PA programs next year in 2015. This is one of the prerequisites requirement of a program that i am interested in-

Pre-requisite Science Courses
8 semester hours of Human Anatomy and Physiology
4 semester hours of Inorganic Chemistry
4 semester hours of Organic Chemistry
3 semester hours of Biochemistry
3 semester hours of  Microbiology

How long does it take to complete this requirement if I join as a full time student? Is it possible to do it in 1 year, so i am ready for next year application?I am planning to join a city college here near my place. Also wanted to know how competitive are PA programs for a Foreign graduate and how competitive will it be in coming years.

Thank you and Best

Ray