So I finally got a job at my dream hospital!! I am currently working there as a Patient Care Technician/ PCT. However, I will be leaving for PA school next year. I really want to return to this hospital and work as a PA! The problem is that getting a job at my hospital is super competitive. Is there a way for me to ensure/ increase my chances of getting a PA job in this facility in the future?

(Also, what do you guys think of requesting a absense of leave instead of quitting? Can I be able to come back to the hospital to pursue a higher position?)

Thanks in advance!

The best way to get any job is networking. So, talk to people while you are there, building relationships, people who would be in the position to ask for you or pull for your hiring. Keep them updated on your progress. Set up an elective rotation at your hospital during the clinical year, then you might beat out experienced PAs for the same position.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

There are several factors:

1. Often, the physicians, PA's, and NP's that work at a hospital are not hospital employees but rather employees of a physician group.
  2. Even if the providers in some areas, possibly hospitalists or anesthesia, are hospital employees, it's unlikely that you could be "promoted" from being a tech to a provider.  It most likely would be an entirely separate hiring process.
  3. You will learn and change a lot during PA school.  You could easily be exposed to an area of medicine or a practice location that's different from what you currently know and decide to pursue that.

Given all of this, my recommendation is to not focus too much on going back to this facility.  Build yourself a good reputation as reliable and hard worker who learns quickly.  Let folks know you're going to PA school and may be interested in coming back.  Try to get some but not all of your rotations at this facility.  The impressions you make are what will help you get a job - at this facility or in some other setting.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Ensure? No. Increase. Yes. Felt the same way when I left for PA school. They will give you some leeway for being a previous employee, however you will still face stiff competition being a new grad. Also at the time you graduate, a position may not open up there for another 3-6 months or more. That’ll be your largest hurdle. Then, when said job opens, it may not be anything close to what you’re interested in. As others said, set your rotation up there. The leave of absence idea is not possible.

Edited by ANESMCR
  • Like 1