Jump to content

Does my current Clinical Research Role counts as PCE


Recommended Posts

Hello all, I graduated about 2 years ago with a BS in Human Biology with an average gpa of 3.4 and a science gpa of ~3.3. I am planning on working on this gpa at my local community college to make myself more competitive. I currently have about 150 hours of volunteer work at my local ED (mostly restocking, and patient transport). I’m looking to expand into other volunteer opportunities as well. I've left a lot of specifics out of course but just wanted to provide some background before getting into what I’ve been spending the last two years doing. 
 

After graduating, I got a job as a Clinical Research Associate at a well regarded Cancer Research Hospital. This role involves a lot patient interaction as I am one of the primary consenters for the study at one of the clinics. I go over the entire protocol with the patient, outline risks and benefits, and facilitate the consenting process if the patient agrees to move forward. I work along side multidisciplinary oncology teams on a daily basis. The services we offer as a part of the study could be extremely beneficial for some patients, so doctors regularly refer patients to our study. I am also, however, allowed to approach patients in my own purview. This would involve me screening the patients chart for eligibility. I’d say 85% of the role involves patient interaction, whether physically or facilitating consenting. The other 15% involves administrative work. I do not take vital signs, draw blood, or really come in any physical contact with the patient. I’ve been working here for about a year and half. The experience I’ve gained has been amazing and has further engrained my desire to become a PA. I’m just afraid that this won’t count as PCE. Can I please get some clarification? I now have around 3000 hours of experience working here. 

Edited by wolfxmirage
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More