FP PAs: Do you call yourself a family practitioner?

I do not believe internist, geriatrician, family practitioner or any other term is protected by docs.   I had a Geri practice and I was a geriatrician.   I am now an internist.   

I do do introduce myself as a PA to every new patient.  Established patients is my first name.   My name and PA-C is embroidered on my work shirts.  I do not play a doc, but I do practice medicine.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

I introduce myself and state than I'm a non-NP provider.  THERE!  I went there and said it.  😛

I just tell them that I'm GMOTM and one of the PA's.  No one has ever asked in this setting what a PA is.  It's all about the $10 admin fee, i.e.- "I don't care what you call yourself as long as I can get what I know that I need."

14 hours ago, ventana said:

I do not believe internist, geriatrician, family practitioner or any other term is protected by docs.   I had a Geri practice and I was a geriatrician.   I am now an internist.   

I do do introduce myself as a PA to every new patient.  Established patients is my first name.   My name and PA-C is embroidered on my work shirts.  I do not play a doc, but I do practice medicine.  

Do the same thing. I wouldn’t say ologist unless I had an actual doctorate in the field, but -ist I believe isn’t protected or owned. Anesthetists do it, but oddly enough they are clamoring to be call nurse anesthesiologists now.

17 hours ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

I call myself a nocturnist.  Not sure if there is a nocturnologist?  Seriously, I introduce myself as firstname lastname, the night PA.  I do feel that as the provider - the only one in the hospital when I'm working, a first name only introduction isn't professional enough.

I think a nocturnologist might be someone that studies nocturnists.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Paula said:

Whenever someone calls themselves a nocturnist I get the vision of a possum hanging upside down in a tree asleep.  

Don't know why......

Don't want to speak for anyone necessarily, but I think this forum has needed a light-hearted comment like this lately.

But to give my response to the OP, I think it just depends on the specialty/environment and what connotation a word has developed. I work in psych but call myself neither a psychiatrist nor behaviorist, as those terms have strong associations linked to training which I do not have. 

But since I do work nights...

possum-tail-1280x720.jpg

Edited by pa-wannabe
Added the possum
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/5/2019 at 8:36 AM, ventana said:

If you didn't do a Internal Medicine residency, don't call yourself an internist. You're a PA that works for a internal medicine physician. You call yourself PA.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

53 minutes ago, cewil1980 said:

If you didn't do a Internal Medicine residency, don't call yourself an internist. You're a PA that works for a internal medicine physician. You call yourself PA.

can you provide legal basis that “Internist PA” is a protected term?

be aware, you’re already on troll watch for using a throw away “hideemail.net” for registration.

• Upvote 1