AANP lobbying for federal $ for provide NP residency

don’t know how far along or accurate info is, but an Acquaintance  was talking to me about post grad residencies and said  AANP was trying to get federal funding so hospitals would provide residencies to NP,. It is also mentioned on Reddit. Would  that  mean those slots will “only” be for NP? And will AAPA even think it may be important to have PA’s listed in the same funding?  

Guest HanSolo

Only thing I could find close to what you mention on the AANP website is here:

"Reauthorize and Provide Stable, Sufficient Funding for Nurse Education Programs.

NPs are essential to meeting the increased demand for health care, however, nurse education programs are facing extreme budget pressure as Congress wrestles with reducing the federal deficit. It is critical for Congress to reauthorize and provide sustained, stable funding to maintain nurse education programs. Funding must be sufficient to enable these programs to sustain current NP education and faculty preparation programs, support education of advanced practice nurses and fund clinical training programs."

I've never been on their page before. It's well done. I guess "clinical training programs" could = residency. Not sure why taxpayers have to fund this...

NP residency slots obtained by advocacy work by NPs for the advancement of NPs would indeed be only for NPs. NP groups don’t lobby for non-NP’s. They get their dues from NPs. PAs have their own advocacy organizations. My understanding is that NP residency spots would also not be for PTs, optometrists, or pharmacists. 
I bet the AAPA would indeed think it would be important to have PAs listed in the same funding request, but how would that be accomplished? Again, PAs are not NPs, so NP national organizations are.... not.... going.... to .... advocate.... for.... non-NPs. This should not be at all shocking or disheartening. Some folks seem to think that NPs and PAs are relatives of some kind, and possibly get a piece of the pie merely by association through this imaginary kinship. This is tribalism, baby.
Besides, PAs wouldn’t be comfortable attaching their profession to NPs since they are so incompetent. They would just bring you down.
I totally think it's a good move for NPs. It would bring up competency. I think they are starting to realize the average NP isn't making the mark. Kudos AANP.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• Administrator
7 hours ago, DLane said:

It’s really unnecessary to have the federal funding. I found out not all residencies are funded by CMS. The physician residency where I am isn’t.

At the same time, when one part of an industry gets government funding and another does not, the part that does tends to not have to work as hard to succeed.  I'm sure many non-healthcare examples, irrelevant and off-topic for this website, spring to mind.

On 7/21/2019 at 10:21 PM, rev ronin said:

At the same time, when one part of an industry gets government funding and another does not, the part that does tends to not have to work as hard to succeed.  I'm sure many non-healthcare examples, irrelevant and off-topic for this website, spring to mind.

Agreed. It takes a lot of work to keep the program up without federal support. It is a state institution though, so I suppose you could say it was somewhat government ran there just isn’t allocated dollars.

we definitely should try to get CMS funds, but my point is we could get started on this without it.

Edited by DLane

Hahaha, oh boy, there are some ruffled feathers in this thread.  

"Would  that  mean those slots will “only” be for NP? And will AAPA even think it may be important to have PA’s listed in the same funding?"

This would only be for NPs, yes.  NPs are never going to help along PAs (or any other profession for that matter).  Why would they?  PAs don't fill the coffers of the NP organizations.  In the grand scheme of things, with millions of nurses out there, PAs are a drop in the bucket on the national stage.  NP lobbying groups do not need PAs, and if they don't even contribute $$$ what good would it be? 

I know a lot of people on this forum think PA education is just so drastically better than NP, but when it comes down to it - it really all evens out rather quickly.  You can chalk this movement up to NP incompetence all you want (even though physicians seem to think they themselves need residencies...), but the fact is, this is another example of NPs going after what they want and PAs sitting with a huge chip on their shoulders.  "NPs need this because they're terrible... but PAs should get this too!!"  I mean, come on.  Try to make sense.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

I'm just wondering why the criticism here on the PA forum is met by more RNs,NPs on the thread but when the student doctor network ctiticizes RNs/NPs its like a ghost town. Just saying.

On a side note, I love the nurses and NPs but alot of us do think there are deficiencies and concerned the PA field is going that way. Online schooling for an example and lack of experience prior to PA school.

If there is criticism on SDN in the clinician section, you do see pushback. There are quite a few threads with some considerable defenses. One in particular taking place today. Many folks aren’t up for the struggle there, and leave because the place is far more toxic. I think there are far fewer folks milling around there anymore because of that toxicity, though. To the credit of most folks here, you are a dignified bunch. 
Point taken. PAs are usually great like that. Lol.

20 hours ago, Lightspeed said:

It’s really not sinking in for a lot of folks here, but plenty do seem to get it. It’s critical that the paradigm changes in a couple ways for your profession to expand. The victim mindset is never going to move your profession along, and neither is the attitude that PAs should have things handed to them by virtue of being better than NPs.

I have been screaming this here literally for years....

Think on how important full independent practice is, and how NPs have that as their reality in almost 25 states. There’s a long way for them to go, but they have freedom in half the states where they have nothing to impede their practice. Those states are done and conquered, and NPs keep moving ahead in the territory that is left, while PAs are pushing for OTP so that they can have their employers decide their scope of practice.

TRUE TRUE AND COMPLETELY TRUE.

Yay team. Next year California will turn independent for NPs. That should scare every PA and pre PA in the nation into playing hardball. Not hardball against NPs, but against the chains of being dependent providers to physicians...........And then the largest state in the US will have NPs opening practices while PAs get to let their bosses decide what they get to do while being chained to those practices, which is essentially the same as what happens currently, just at a broader level. 

I posted a thread a month ago here SPECIFICALLY sounding the alarm about California....I believe 100% it is the final bell toll.

20 hours ago, Lightspeed said:

On 7/24/2019 at 2:38 PM, Marinejiujitsu said:

I'm just wondering why the criticism here on the PA forum is met by more RNs,NPs on the thread but when the student doctor network ctiticizes RNs/NPs its like a ghost town. Just saying.

Because SDN is a cesspool of ignorance.  It's disgusting sewage.  Each specialty forum hates every other specialty, they all hate PAs and NPs, patients are stupid, every poster thinks every other poster is stupid.  It's a nightmare.

And I'll echo the above that you can say your education and training is superior all day long until you are blue in the face, but the difference between PA and NP is negligible when comparing the difference between Physician and NP/PA.  It doesn't matter.  NPs are still gaining independence.  Again, NP vs PA evens out pretty quickly.  I'd even venture to say, with the exception of surgery in the OR, and narrow subspecialty practice, it evens out between us and physicians as well.    

Edited by Kaepora
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Kaepora said:

Because SDN is a cesspool of ignorance.  It's disgusting sewage.  Each specialty forum hates every other specialty, they all hate PAs and NPs, patients are stupid, every poster thinks every other poster is stupid.  It's a nightmare.

And I'll echo the above that you can say your education and training is superior all day long until you are blue in the face, but the difference between PA and NP is negligible when comparing the difference between Physician and NP/PA.  It doesn't matter.  NPs are still gaining independence.  Again, NP vs PA evens out pretty quickly.  I'd even venture to say, with the exception of surgery in the OR, and narrow subspecialty practice, it evens out between us and physicians as well.    

There is a phenomena there where any topic can devolve into PA/NP complaining.  Threads where the original post is nowhere near the topic of PA/NPs regularly find themself down that pathway.

It’s like an art form..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/24/2019 at 4:48 AM, PAekgdude said:

Also, this is for psych NP's and PA's:   I am first and foremost able to assess and rule out actual medical conditions - which is far more important than just thinking in terms of psych only box - before investigating their mental health issues.  specializing directly to something like psych specialty from the beginning like some NP's do without ever acquiring fundamental medical knowledge is not  good for patients.  

I mean you can't actually believe that psych NPs don't get trained in ruling out medical conditions? It seems like you're being willfully ignorant about psych NP education. I am fairly critical of NP education overall but you can't seriously believe that a typical PA will somehow be better prepared to practice in psych than a psych NP? Even the psych 'residencies' for PAs seem pretty thin in didactics, from what I've seen.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1