2019-2020 Application Cycle

19 minutes ago, Thehopefulone said:

Did you get in last year? Was the A and P exam difficult? 

I did. It was just a general exam of medical and foundational science knowledge, nothing terrible. I don't think there's any way to study for it. Our professors have talked quite a bit about the admission process throughout our first couple semesters, but that exam remains a mystery! Rumor mill is that it just helps organize the groups they put us in, but I don't put much stock in when my classmates say, "well Doris said this when I was talking to her..." Haha. 

I was rejected by UVU and Utah; not even offered an interview.

If it helps anyone, here are my stats:

Direct patient hours ~1500 at time of submission

Addt'l healthcare hours ~5000 (mostly in pharmacy)

GPA 3.7, Science 3.5

No religious affiliation, married with kids, working full-time and full-time student for the last 4 years.

No volunteer hours

Good luck, guys.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2019 at 12:20 AM, hadia said:

can some one who got an interview share their stats please

6 year veteran, 2200 volunteer hours with Hospital Corpsmen, 25 PA shadowing hours under 3 different specialties, cGPA 3.7, sGPA 3.4, prerequisite courses completed and degree done this semester.

Edited by SDrake
  • Like 2

On 10/8/2019 at 10:20 PM, hadia said:

can some one who got an interview share their stats please

Over 20,000 hours of patient care mostly as a medic, a couple few thousand more hours of other healthcare experience, shadowed PAs in 5 or so specialties, have volunteered pretty consistently with the food bank, BBBS, and some other things, 3.4 overall, 3.6 science, just finished my bachelors this summer.

Edited by royalcuckoo

Interviewing at the U on the 14th of Nov

Over 8700 hours of patient care as a molecular biology and genetics technologist and donor floor technician 

500 hours volunteer experience as a patient tech and lab intern 

patient tech trainer 100 hours 

STEM math and science (students with and without disabilities) tutor for 5 years 

graduated summa cum laude 3.97 gpa in forensic toxicology 

prerequisite GPA: 3.7

overall 3.9 

50+ hours shadowing a PA in urgent care that I tech for 

most of my patient care hours are not hands on, but I do work closely with MDs, PA etc across multiple specialities 

I’ve been out of school for several years working in research, academia, and clinical diagnostics. despite  having a strong GPA I do have a skeleton or two hiding in my post bac transcripts. So having one or even two discrepancy grades isn’t going to shut you out! Good luck everyone! 

• Like 1

On 10/10/2019 at 8:56 AM, royalcuckoo said:

I’ll be there! I’m flying in from Portland on Friday and will probably head up to Zion for a hike. I leave early Sunday morning. 

On 10/9/2019 at 2:08 PM, briannamello said:

Received an interview offer for 11/16 at the St. George Campus! Anyone else?

I'll see you guys there! My fiancé and I will be driving up from Phoenix.

• Like 2

For the person who wanted stats for someone who got an interview: GPA 3.78 science GPA 3.88 (nothing below an A after freshman year), a few thousand hours of volunteering and PCE as an MA, EMT, Spanish interpreter, and speech therapy assistant (4,000 or so), Utah resident for 4 years now. Shadowed for 20 hours or so, but worked really closely with PAs. I honestly think the fact that all of my jobs were associated with underserved communities had a large impact on getting the interview. I worked in rural medicine and also heavily with the Latino community in salt lake. 

Also if any of you are out of state and need accomodations for November 21, I don't have much but I do have a couch for you to sleep on, food to eat, a dog to cuddle, and a car! Let me know if you need anything 🙂 this process is already expensive enough before having to pay for a hotel and rental car.

Edited by amandaaa22

On 10/15/2019 at 9:05 PM, mannneylucero said:

I received an interview on November 16th at the St. George campus! 🙂

On 10/14/2019 at 2:08 PM, Joyfeliz1 said:

I got an interview for Nov 16, st george campus

On 10/11/2019 at 12:49 PM, Willc said:

I'll see you guys there! My fiancé and I will be driving up from Phoenix.

On 10/10/2019 at 8:56 AM, royalcuckoo said:

I’ll be there! I’m flying in from Portland on Friday and will probably head up to Zion for a hike. I leave early Sunday morning. 

On 10/9/2019 at 2:08 PM, briannamello said:

Received an interview offer for 11/16 at the St. George Campus! Anyone else?

I will also be interviewing at the St. George campus on 11/16! I just received notification after being on their interview waitlist 🙂 I’ll be driving up from Vegas the day before, so let me know if any of you would like to meet up and get to know one another before the interview day!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, biancak said:

I will also be interviewing at the St. George campus on 11/16! I just received notification after being on their interview waitlist 🙂 I’ll be driving up from Vegas the day before, so let me know if any of you would like to meet up and get to know one another before the interview day!

I'm down to meet up the night before if we want to get a group of us together and like have dinner somewhere so we can have some friendly faces the next day?

• Like 1