Nurse Alert

Anyone have suggestions

Having trouble getting my nurse when I need her. She always seems to be busy getting vitals or doing something else where it's not appropriate to  interrupt her (and then I end up doing the nursing task -- inefficient).  Anyone have a good system to let the nurse know you need them? Our work stations are not very close together. I'm darn near strapping a walkie-talkie on her.. 

If it's just you and a nurse, perhaps a door flag system; maybe a place on the counter where you put patients chart who need x y or z.  Put a tracking sheet to tell the nurse the next step; ua, then back to me.  Put a shelf thing on the door where you can put the tracking sheet.  For the hipaa lawyers out there, you can turn it face down, fold it in half.

• Administrator

One clinic where I work has a series of chimes and other noisemakers--wind chimes to let the MAs know a patient is ready for rooming, a desk bell to let them know a patient is ready for discharge.  Small office, the noise carries reasonably well.

We do use portable radios for certain nursing staff to communicate (e.g. triage talking to charge). We also have all hospital staff using a HIPAA compliant smartphone app called Mobile Heartbeat that allows us to text each other and receive group notifications for things like trauma alerts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, SCPA said:

Anyone have suggestions

Having trouble getting my nurse when I need her. She always seems to be busy getting vitals or doing something else where it's not appropriate to  interrupt her (and then I end up doing the nursing task -- inefficient).  Anyone have a good system to let the nurse know you need them? Our work stations are not very close together. I'm darn near strapping a walkie-talkie on her.. 

I hope it is not because they think of you as just mere ASSISTANT. We really need this name change

One clinic had a light outside the room - red - means - Provider in room needs someone not emergently.

I really like the shortwave 2 way walkie talkie things.

Had not thought of chimes but a doorbell type thing might be ok.

I have used a flag system with a wipe off board on the door - again, no HIPAA stuff, but I would write - "EKG and home", EKG and hold, neb tx with PF before and after, tdap and home or whatever. But, if the nurse is not walking by frequently - that is a moot point.

Let us know what works.

We use vocera too but my MA and I are old school and we use post its. I put a post it on her monitor that says "EKG RM1" or "Labs RM2" etc. We are pretty efficient too. My CP and his MA use the Vocera a lot but the MA gets peeved when she is in the middle of something and the Vocera goes off with the doc barking orders. I like my system better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

58 minutes ago, Joelseff said:

We use vocera too but my MA and I are old school and we use post its. I put a post it on her monitor that says "EKG RM1" or "Labs RM2" etc. We are pretty efficient too. My CP and his MA use the Vocera a lot but the MA gets peeved when she is in the middle of something and the Vocera goes off with the doc barking orders. I like my system better.

I use my "DND" button a lot f I'm busy with something - a message is left.  I'll answer if I'm expecting a call back from a page or something, otherwise, unless it's a code, I hit the button or "Just Say No" to the call.

SK

I use my "DND" button a lot f I'm busy with something - a message is left.  I'll answer if I'm expecting a call back from a page or something, otherwise, unless it's a code, I hit the button or "Just Say No" to the call.
SK
We have it setup where the provider and the MA have it in 2 way walkie talkie mode so we can reach each other instantly. It works for some of the teams but my MA and I have our own system.

Archived