New forum idea?

New forum idea: NP forum?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should we add a separate subforum solely for complaints about nurse practitioners?

• No, I want to see that all mixed in with PA topics
    • Yes, please move it somewhere specific

This poll is closed to new votes

12 minutes ago, LadyNichiavelli said:

Yikes, I think having a subforum dedicated solely to trash-talking NPs would look bad on our end.

I think it would be revealing if there were a way to compile all the comments mentioning NPs.  A large portion of people's comments on here pertain to NPs in one way or another.  I get that putting down NPs makes people feel better briefly, but ultimately it doesn't look good on this forum.

3 minutes ago, Kaepora said:

I think it would be revealing if there were a way to compile all the comments mentioning NPs.  A large portion of people's comments on here pertain to NPs in one way or another.  I get that putting down NPs makes people feel better briefly, but ultimately it doesn't look good on this forum.

Yes it matters. All these unprepared new NP's are driving PA opprtunities and salaries down. My former urgent job hired two new NP's for 40 dollars per hour and wanted us PA's to take a pay cut. Moreover, their online NP training did not prepare them to treat anything. We taught them  to treat URI's and UTI's. The physician owner here had enough and delegated all midlevels including PA's to taking vitals, doing urine dips, drawing blood ourselves and only seeing simple complaints. Before these NP's came onboard, we saw all types of patients; we were open to consult witht he physician when we wanted to.

So many new ill-prepared  NP's are saturating the marked and are so damn excited to find any job that they are willing to work for 35 to 40 bucks per hour which is  ridiculous... anyways, I left my previous job to go to one that pays at least double that. Overaturation of provider market by NPs is bad news for prospective pAs that have to compete for bottom of barrel paying jobs.

I'm still waiting on a locked PA verified section that will be closed to anyone who does not have a NCCPA verification letter. Again I volunteer myself moderate and vet this section if it's a matter of work for why we don't have it now. 

Students can have another locked section after submitting a picture of their ID badge so they can speak openly without having to worry about their program director seeing. Also others can know that if someone is airing dirty garbage about a school they can be assured they were verified and not a troll.

Can we also have a donated member level? I'll pay to remove these ads.

9 minutes ago, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

I'm still waiting on a locked PA verified section that will be closed to anyone who does not have a NCCPA verification letter. Again I volunteer myself moderate and vet this section if it's a matter of work for why we don't have it now. 

Students can have another locked section after submitting a picture of their ID badge so they can speak openly without having to worry about their program director seeing. Also others can know that if someone is airing dirty garbage about a school they can be assured they were verified and not a troll.

Seconded.  I'd go for a locked verified pa section.

18 minutes ago, OTP4PA said:

Yes it matters. All these unprepared new NP's are driving PA opprtunities and salaries down. My former urgent job hired two new NP's for 40 dollars per hour and wanted us PA's to take a pay cut. Moreover, their online NP training did not prepare them to treat anything. We taught them  to treat URI's and UTI's. The physician owner here had enough and delegated all midlevels including PA's to taking vitals, doing urine dips, drawing blood ourselves and only seeing simple complaints. Before these NP's came onboard, we saw all types of patients; we were open to consult witht he physician when we wanted to.

See, it's the complete opposite in my area. Most NPs have RN experience while most PAs do not. The PA programs around here have 5 year PA programs that are ruining the job market. So the NPs expect a certain salary increase, but the new grad PAs will take anything. One system here is over run with new grad PAs clamoring for $60,000 a year. That is less than a nurse. But these PAs are taking it. No NP is going to take less than what we made as a nurse. 

6 minutes ago, Kaepora said:

See, it's the complete opposite in my area. Most NPs have RN experience while most PAs do not. The PA programs around here have 5 year PA programs that are ruining the job market. So the NPs expect a certain salary increase, but the new grad PAs will take anything. One system here is over run with new grad PAs clamoring for $60,000 a year. That is less than a nurse. But these PAs are taking it. No NP is going to take less than what we made as a nurse. 

Statiscally, there are way more new NPs produced than PAs each year... oh and half of these new NPs did online for profit school programs... you must be from Pennsylvania which is a crappy place to be a PA

15 minutes ago, OTP4PA said:

Statiscally, there are way more new NPs produced than PAs each year... oh and half of these new NPs did online for profit school programs... you must be from Pennsylvania which is a crappy place to be a PA

It's unfortunately a smart strategy employed by the powers that be in NP leadership. Power in numbers has served nurses well so far. These nurses are not typical working, clinical NPs and they aren't working to serve these NPs. They are politically driven and the ends justify the means for them. And for what it's worth, I know you feel jilted bu NPs, but coming to a public forum to express your frustrations does nothing to advance the PA profession. It just makes you look bitter. So the idea of an entire section dedicated to someone like OTP4PA posting trash about NPs isn't good. 

22 minutes ago, Kaepora said:

It's unfortunately a smart strategy employed by the powers that be in NP leadership. Power in numbers has served nurses well so far. These nurses are not typical working, clinical NPs and they aren't working to serve these NPs. They are politically driven and the ends justify the means for them. And for what it's worth, I know you feel jilted bu NPs, but coming to a public forum to express your frustrations does nothing to advance the PA profession. It just makes you look bitter. So the idea of an entire section dedicated to someone like OTP4PA posting trash about NPs isn't good. 

It's tongue in cheek. And if it did happen it would be nice to have a single place to ignore.

14 minutes ago, sas5814 said:

I agree with the verified PA idea. I'm trying to remember what site required an NPI to become a member but it isn't the worst idea in the world.

I'd also pay a nominal fee annually to avoid ads though my ad blocker kills most of them.

I think NPI is dicey because it's actually pretty easy to find someones, but NCCPA will send a verification letter for free by email. 

2 hours ago, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

clinician1.com requires folks to be a verified pa/np or pa/np student, so that is an option for another place to check on sometimes. you can use an ad blocker like ghostery for free to get rid of many of the ads. I support you being a moderator should we need another. that is up to Banuchi and Rev at this point.

Caught this thread from an NP forum.  Short background, I had 25 years experience as an RN, went back to school for NP, it was pretty easy.  It seemed to me that the school was really trying to push me through.  Thankfully my extensive broad experience as an RN help acclimate to NP.  But, my first couple of years was a little rocky to be sure.  Currently I work in a managed care setting with several PA's who do seem to be a little uncomfortable around NP's.  I'm the life of the party kind of guy so they get along with me very well.  

That being said, there are so many things wrong with the system it's hard to say where to start.  For me the job of a provider is so easy, I wish I would have been mature enough earlier in life to just get an MD.  My feeling is that MD's (I know A Lot) are well aware of the cash cow they have given there profession, and they are rabid to protect it.  With the push for more providers, having less restrictions, to provide increase access to care, it makes sense to have PA/NP become independent to MD; as we see in many states already with NP's.  

Is there any possibility for PA's to have the same independence?  How, considering it's the rabid medical boards protecting their cash cow, and they license PA's.  I wish there was a way that PA's could become independent at the rate NP's are.  The PA's I work with are just awesome providers.  

I've precepted several NP students and can't believe the lack of basic medical knowledge.  It's hard to believe that we (NP) can start working as a provider straight out of school.  I was scared to death but luckily didn't have any problems.  

The reality is NP's are here to stay, we should find a way to get along.  I don't know any NP's who don't like PA's, so to trash talk each profession just doesn't look good as others have said.  Taking care of people is such an awesome responsibility, we need to take it seriously and lift each other up, not tear down.   Everyone stay well, and encourage someone today.  

Mike- welcome to the forum. We have a few regular NP contributors here who bring an important viewpoint to our discussions. Trust me that there are both RN and NP PA haters out there, I have unfortunately worked with many and was forced out of a job(along with several other PAs) when the RNs conspired against all the PAs in the dept by refusing any PA order without md realtime cosignature so that the dept would hire a bunch of their new grad np friends. PAs and NPs should support each other, but at the same time I think it is ok to point out flaws in both educational systems. If you look at the Yale online PA subforum here you will see many of us fighting against the model of online PA education as we believe it dilutes the educational experience. On the issue of independence, I don't think any PA or NP is ready for solo coverage right out of school. I would be in favor of mandatory internships for both or a requirement of X years OJT in one specialty before independent practice.

Archived