New forum idea?

New forum idea: NP forum?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should we add a separate subforum solely for complaints about nurse practitioners?

• No, I want to see that all mixed in with PA topics
    • Yes, please move it somewhere specific

This poll is closed to new votes

• Administrator

So, this has been educational, and the takeaways I get are not too surprising:

1) There's more of a sentiment that forum participants want the NP-bashing OUT of the PA sections than there is one that there should, in fact, be such a forum in the first place.  As expected, most of the real PAs whom we know to have been participating here for years are not interested in bashing other professions, only in promoting our own.

2) There's more of an interest in a verified-PA-only section for the above reasons.

Thanks for all your feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

The NP situation is absolute crap. They are flooding the market and their training is so minimal. There are many nurses in my ER getting their FNP online (!!!) while somehow managing to work full time during the week. HOW? I will never forget when a new grad NP started with our group and she prescribed macrobid for a dog bite instead of Augmentin or doxy and when I asked why she said “Well, it seems like everyone around here uses Macrobid for everything.” SMH. I had another one argue with me last week that he wants to work in the ER with us as he’s finishing his FNP and I had to politely tell him we were hiring only PAs at this time... he flipped his lid and told me that he can diagnose people just by looking at them. Then later told me “looks like the patient broke their humerus” when pointing to the wrist...

Yes and I've had a PA (who was practicing in inpatient psychiatry) ask me what the criteria for schizoaffective disorder is(!) and what Wellbutrin is used for(!!). Anecdotes are next to useless and I think most of us have worked with good and bad physicians, PAs, and NPs.

18 hours ago, ERCat said:

I will never forget when a new grad NP started with our group and she prescribed Bactrim for a dog bite instead of Augmentin or doxy...

Bactrim isn't totally innappropriate for an animal bite... I'm not sure why you chose this anecdote to prove incompetence.  Sure, amox-clav is the first line, textbook recommendation, but, bactrim has good activity against aerobes and also has mrsa coverage so it's perfectly acceptable in this scenario (plus clinda or flagyl).  

As for your other "example" - first of all, he just sounds uber cocky and, as he's only a student, he has a rude awakening in store. Second of all, he's just a student.  I precept PA students from 3 local programs and MDs from 1 local program, and sometimes I am shocked by the silly things they say, but you have to remember they are just students.  They're learning.  Cut them some slack.  

ALLLLLL of us have negative anecdotes for every other type of provider.  I have *plenty* for PAs.  In fact, most of mine are probably about physicians.  But every profession is represented, haha.  Personally, I don't think this kind of attitude helps anyone.  

Kaepora - to be honest it was a different antibiotic (Macrobid) but I changed it in the post as to help with my anonymity in case the NP uses this forum.  I don’t typically even use Bactrim for dog bites, haven’t had to yet, but if it’s a second line treatment my post doesn’t make sense... will edit the post the clarify. My main point was not the antibiotic choice as much as it was the fact that this provider had so little knowledge that she thought “any old antibiotic will do” instead of realizing all antibiotics provide coverage only against a range of organisms and thus she should have looked it up rather than pick one out of the wheel of fortune.

Archived