explain this to me....really?

As a medical professional, a human being, and a professor of global health this really offends me:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/us-opposition-to-breast-feeding-resolution-stuns-world-health-officials/ar-AAzJvKl?li=BBnbcA1

You should check out the documentary "Fed Up," this is kinda a non issue in comparison to what we've been living with for decades. 

I would assume that it is well known by now that special interests (lobbyists) have more impact on US law/public policy than scientific study, by orders upon orders of magnitude.

28 minutes ago, JMPA said:

its NYT, it is fake news

Don't be ridiculous.  Regardless of what Trump's twitter account says, NYT is the newspaper of record in the United States.  

And yea, it's crazy.  It's just further 'swampification' of Washington and the historic levels of corruption that runs rampant in this administration.

apparently this has been(at least intermittently) long standing US policy. Doesn't make it right regardless of which party is in power when it happens or who hired the delegation, etc.(and I have no idea who cast the vote, whose appointee they were, etc).

Result of a similar vote in 1981:

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1981/05/21/The-United-States-this-time-alone-again-rejected-today/6021359265600/

15 minutes ago, EMEDPA said:

Yeah, it’s a mixed bag though. I have a lot of families in pediatrics who are on WIC who want to breastfeed their children but can’t do it because of work issues (no time or place to pump at work, needing to go back to work right away, etc).  So I understand that formula should be available for those who need it, but so should help with lactation and resources for breastfeeding (we should also have guaranteed paid maternity and paternity leave and requirement that all places be friendly to breastfeeding mothers but that’s neither here nor there). 

From other, perhaps more centrist news articles, this article is inflammatory due to it's anti-Trump bias.

I think the issue is more that the US doesn't want the UN/WHO (mostly US funded) to pay for breast feeding EDUCATION in poor countries.  Could this be a nefarious plot by Nestle?  Sure.  Or it could be the Trump administration pushing back against unnecessary spending.

Nobody is against breastfeeding.

2 hours ago, lkth487 said:

Don't be ridiculous.  Regardless of what Trump's twitter account says, NYT is the newspaper of record in the United States.  

And yea, it's crazy.  It's just further 'swampification' of Washington and the historic levels of corruption that runs rampant in this administration.

Obviously still drinking the fake news kool aid. Who owns the news paper and what are their special interest. 

You’re right.  Everyone is lying except the Trumps twitter account and Fox and Friends.  People who were there are also lying.  It’s all a conspiracy.   All the countries are in on it.  I mean, I heard Sean Hannity has the real sources. 

15 hours ago, Boatswain2PA said:

From other, perhaps more centrist news articles, this article is inflammatory due to it's anti-Trump bias.

I think the issue is more that the US doesn't want the UN/WHO (mostly US funded) to pay for breast feeding EDUCATION in poor countries.  Could this be a nefarious plot by Nestle?  Sure.  Or it could be the Trump administration pushing back against unnecessary spending.

Nobody is against breastfeeding.

We're not against breastfeeding, but certainly against anything that affects business no matter what the cost.... read: global warming. 

19 hours ago, lkth487 said:

Also, can you link to these centrist sources?

I read a few things about it yesterday, but can't remember where I read it.  The gist of what I read yesterday was we were probably pushing back against the resolution because it's language against items "declared unsafe for children"...which is so vague that it could easily be used by just about any country to prevent trade.

I did read this today on Fox reporting on President Trump's response to the NYT article (which virtually every other left wing news publication repeated):  http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/07/09/trump-blasts-failing-ny-times-over-report-on-opposition-to-breastfeeding-measure.html

So now we have the left wing attack, and the right wing response.  Where's the truth?  Probably somewhere in the middle.

4 hours ago, d-wade said:

certainly against anything that affects business no matter what the cost.... read: global warming. 

Yeah, and Republicans are throwing Grandma off the cliff while ripping babies out of the arms of women chained in the kitchen, all while kicking over drums of toxic waste into our pristine waters.  

We all know that the USA must bow down to any UN or Globalist resolution or agenda. Even if a position was established  30+ years ago it's Trump's fault that America is a Racist, Xenophobic, Capitalist,Misogynist, serving up dirty air and water to kill babies all over the world!!

3 hours ago, Boatswain2PA said:

I read a few things about it yesterday, but can't remember where I read it.  The gist of what I read yesterday was we were probably pushing back against the resolution because it's language against items "declared unsafe for children"...which is so vague that it could easily be used by just about any country to prevent trade.

I did read this today on Fox reporting on President Trump's response to the NYT article (which virtually every other left wing news publication repeated):  http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/07/09/trump-blasts-failing-ny-times-over-report-on-opposition-to-breastfeeding-measure.html

So now we have the left wing attack, and the right wing response.  Where's the truth?  Probably somewhere in the middle.

Yeah, and Republicans are throwing Grandma off the cliff while ripping babies out of the arms of women chained in the kitchen, all while kicking over drums of toxic waste into our pristine waters.  

Fox News =/= NYT in veracity of reporting. Not by a long shot. You can't put the two on a fulcrum and act like they are equal counterbalances. 

And let's not lose sight of the OP. I have no problem with the US contributing funding to ANY education program that could help improve the lives of women and children in developing nations.

18 minutes ago, NCPAS said:

Fox News =/= NYT in veracity of reporting

I think one's opinion of that will depend on one's bias.  If you are a leftist, then the NYT is the standard of journalism and Faux news is completely biased gutter-journalism.  If you are an ultra-conservative, then the NYT is a horribly biased rag that uses its position to destroy Republicans, meanwhile Fox news is holding the banner of truth that may save journalism.

Those of us in the middle realize that NYT is far left, and Fox is far right, yet both publish news articles that range from good to terrible (I haven't seen terrific news from either of them in years).

Honestly?  If you quoted the Huffington Post as an example of a left wing organization to compare with Fox News, I may say that you had a point.  

Do you read the NY Times?  I ask that seriously.  I can link multiple excellent hard hitting journalist pieces just in recent times if you're truly interested.

13 minutes ago, lkth487 said:

Honestly?  Do you read the NY Times?  I can link multiple excellent hard hitting journalist pieces just in recent times if you're truly interested.

EDIT: I just deleted what I had posted because it was inflammatory and not productive. I want to keep this on the topic of providing resources to women and children who could benefit from them. No one is trying to demonize people who need formula. But it's ridiculous to suggest that we shouldn't be simultaneously making formula available while also making a concerted effort to promote the myriad health benefits of breastfeeding. 

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

I don't pretend I am an expert in political science, history, sociology, or economics; rather I defer to those who have dedicated their lives to the study of the subjects in question. This excludes politicians and news anchors. Perhaps because access to these people isn't served up on 24hr TV news, 30 second video rants, or 240 character tweets; it is a position not held by many (enough), it is discouraging nonetheless.

17 minutes ago, lkth487 said:

Honestly?  If you quoted the Huffington Post as an example of a left wing organization to compare with Fox News, I may say that you had a point.  

Do you read the NY Times?  I ask that seriously.  I can link multiple excellent hard hitting journalist pieces just in recent times if you're truly interested.

While, of course, this is all subjective to our own biases, I think HuffPo is analagous to Ben Shapiro on the right, with NYT and Fox between them.

Do I read the NYT?  The whole thing?  No.  I certainly read some article from them.  And upon further reflection, I do think the NYT has done some good, indepth reporting on some things recently.  However their political bias is certainly leftleaning and that certainly interferes with their political reporting.

17 hours ago, Boatswain2PA said:

While, of course, this is all subjective to our own biases, I think HuffPo is analagous to Ben Shapiro on the right, with NYT and Fox between them.

Do I read the NYT?  The whole thing?  No.  I certainly read some article from them.  And upon further reflection, I do think the NYT has done some good, indepth reporting on some things recently.  However their political bias is certainly leftleaning and that certainly interferes with their political reporting.

The NYT is liberal leaning, not far left; Huff Post, Vox, Salon etc would be a better example of a far left publication. Fox on the other hand is most definitely far right programming, especially these days as commentary makes up the bulk of their programming ala Sean Hannity, Jeanine Pirro, etc. Some of Fox's daytime programming i'd put on par with CNN/MSNBC, though it's taken a backseat to 'commentary'. Ironically, I'd consider Ben Shapiro more moderate on the conservative side of things despite his former Breitbart affiliation.

11 hours ago, ventana said:

sad when special interest takes over medical decision making....

The land of the free....The USA sucks now and I strongly think daily about moving out of this sh*t hole of a country. It is not just one administration, it is all of them. That is why I am a political atheist. 

Archived