How Much $$$ Do You Make? (Informal Poll)

How Much Do You Make Per Year?  

257 members have voted

1. 1. How Much Do You Make Per Year?

• $80-90k
    • $91-100k
    • $101-110k
    • $111-120k
    • $121-130k
    • $131-140k
    • $141-150k
    • > $151k

56 minutes ago, sas5814 said:

My base salary based on 40hr/week is 154k. I get 1.5x for OT which is usually a few hours a week on a routine week and can be 12 to 14 during peak times like now. 240 hours PTO and the usual insurances. 5 days CME. I work in UC.

Is this a rural clinic? Private/commercial practice i'm assuming? Crazy.

On 1/21/2018 at 10:15 AM, printer2100 said:

Would love to see the range expanded downward a bit. I think there are a lot of new grads stepping in to medicine in the high 70s. While I think this poll/board is skewed towards a relatively active, successful, affluent crowd and cost of living does make a difference, it definitely makes me step back and re-assess my own salary. Loan repayment options are done and they still want to pay me in the lowest paid group above to do the FP and urgent care combo for a community health population (i.e. complex population). 

I agree. What are we doing wrong...

I have great benefits and work an academic calendar but I dont feel that even comes close to making up for the difference. You think you're making a decent salary until everyone on the PA forums chimes in with their PCP salaries.

• Upvote 1

Working 160 hours a month with my bonuses for productivity, plus some administrative side work, I make about 180K a year. This is in the ER. I have been out two years.

I did undergrad there. would love to live there, but am limited by # and quality of local jobs and housing costs...

North bay is cheaper than the rest of the bay area and the pay is actually comparable to the more metropolitan areas (SF and Oakland etc). San Jose/South Bay area pays very well but COL is ridiculous.  I live in the east bay right on the shore of San Pablo Bay overlooking Marin and Mt Tamalpais. Crime is somewhat low and COL is more in line with my income.  

Scary facts though in SF 110k household income per year qualifies you for low cost housing. In Oakland it's 105k. My area is 95k. In Northbay it's around 65-75k IIRC.

We've thought about leaving the state actually for Texas or AZ but my wife and I are Bay Area natives and do love living here so we're staying put.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Active Army captain, so my pay is non negotiable, but even though im 3.5 years out of school Im an old crusty soldier with 20+ for pay. In TX I was making about $118 K. Moving to Washington state next month where ill be at about $131 K. If I make Major this year I’ll be at about $141 K. Next year I will have the option to sign on for 4years with a $20 K per year bonus so at least $161 K per year for 4 years unless they move me again. Our housing allowance adjusts with local COL. Significant tax advantage as well as housing and food allowance is tax free (about $23 K this year). I think its time to retire though, ive earned about $45 K per year to sit on my back porch in my underwear ?

• Upvote 5

This is a pretty helpful thread. I got into Samuel Merritt and Oregon Health & Science University. Trying to see which area would be beneficial to live after graduating. I am currently living in East Bay. Definitely the COL is extremely high and the only place I would ultimately want to live is near Walnut Creek and those that are from here know what the cost of a house there is. They are both great program IMO so it is a tough decision to make. 

Side note: I am using Chapter 31 Vocational Rehab program from the VA, so will graduate from the PA with zero debt. This would definitely help with starting a life afterwards. 

• Upvote 3

5.5 years out, making 135k a year seeing people with colds.  No suturing, abdominal pain, or anything too complex.  We are a walk-in.  Nothing urgent.  Location: Middle of new york state.  Toward the bottom.  I was just kidding about the sharks with laser beams.  If you want to know more about my place, PM me and I'll give you the skinny.  Hint:  my last day is in two months.

I go back to my prior post to this thread being relevant only if you take into consideration COL.  My situation with a local gov't agency pays be a tad over $100K but I have a 37 hr. work week, no call, weekends, holidays, a built in vacation week in July (all employees), and I don't have to do the wake up at 3 a.m. and call the ER charge nurse and ask if I remembered to do XYZ?  I have a brick home, 2200 sq. ft., single story 4/2/2 that is owned outright.  Now, move my home to a water view region and along either coast or the gulf, and I bet we're close to 7 figures for it (or so would say my realtor that you know as HGTV House Hunters).  It has a value at online realtor sites for about $310K.  I also don't have a state income tax but I pay it anyway through property tax rates which might as well be a state income tax (>$5K this past year).  I'm guessing on the state income tax since I've never lived in a state where there was one.

Another way to look at this would be to consider home values for those who own as a multiple of income.  In my situation with my wife who is a college prof (translation, doesn't make much at the local CC) our home value is about double our income.  Now, if the "smiling A" from the Pacific NW builds their second campus here in N. Texas as some are speculating, then property values will take off even more, especially based on where they locate the structure.  My suburb hosts several major corps and we're built out for the most part.

I must be in a state of depressed salaries. Certainly one where PAs are underutilized. It’s one of those “sexy” mountain states.  2.5 years out of school, trauma and acute care surgery in an academic center. 3/12s, no nights/weekends/holidays, just a glorified secretary (I write notes and discharge summaries). $95k/yr. 

4 hours ago, Joelseff said:

RN pay in California is more than what I make.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

RNs around my neck of the woods make about $18/hr starting out (new grads), my wife had 4 years of nursing experience with a BSN and was making $20.50/hr (2017). Once again, don't assume we all make the same amount of money, COL is a HUGE factor. @Grinder993, how much is a newer home, 3 beds, 3 baths, 2,000sq/ft, city lot (0.25 or less acre)?  

20 hours ago, weezianna said:

Guess I am a failure - 20 years experience and working for the VA at $113K in IM.  TIme to make a break.

I disagree. Federal employment give benefits that most other do not: specifically pension plus TSP match (401K) plus a very generous PTO espescially as a provider with the VA.  Also supposed to be a 40 hour week with overtime. Also pretty stable employer (recent govt shutdown not withstanding ?). Not to mention tenured federal employees are very hard to fire as long as you dont lose your ability to do your job (i.e. certification). Im looking very hard at working for DoD or VA after I retire from the Army for above stated reasons despite knowing I could likely get paid more elsewhere.

Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery here as well as part-time Urgent Care and ER

Base salary CV Surg is in the 130's working 25-45 hours a week depending on how busy we get.  No extra pay for OT or call.  Decent benefits and a pension with hospital as well as qualifying for loan repayment with 5 years of employment

Cover CV Surgery call at 2 other facilities...1099 for payment, vein harvesting/1st assist fee of 350/case.

Part-time UC and ER combined extra 25k/year with 1-2 shifts per month either 24 or 16 hour shifts.  No benefits.

I work my rear off now so I don't have to later.  My wife and kiddos suffer sometimes in not seeing me, but each year I'm slow down some (at least that's what I tell myself).

Located right north of Texas and south of Kansas....if you're geographically inclined :)

2 hours ago, ArmyPA said:

I disagree. Federal employment give benefits that most other do not: specifically pension plus TSP match (401K) plus a very generous PTO espescially as a provider with the VA.  Also supposed to be a 40 hour week with overtime. Also pretty stable employer (recent govt shutdown not withstanding ?). Not to mention tenured federal employees are very hard to fire as long as you dont lose your ability to do your job (i.e. certification). Im looking very hard at working for DoD or VA after I retire from the Army for above stated reasons despite knowing I could likely get paid more elsewhere.

My comment was SOLELY in the vein of the question - How much money do you make?   BTW I work 60 hours a week and DO NOT GET ANY OVERTIME, nor do any of the providers..   The PTO is indeed better than the outside, and this helps you tolerate an autocratic management., although as a military provider you're used to that. Thank you..

• Upvote 2

On 1/27/2018 at 7:53 AM, weezianna said:

Guess I am a failure - 20 years experience and working for the VA at $113K in IM.  TIme to make a break.

great bennies and retirement though, yes? I make really good money as a 1099 employee, but have to fund all my own stuff aside from malpractice.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, camoman1234 said:

RNs around my neck of the woods make about $18/hr starting out (new grads), my wife had 4 years of nursing experience with a BSN and was making $20.50/hr (2017). Once again, don't assume we all make the same amount of money, COL is a HUGE factor. @Grinder993, how much is a newer home, 3 beds, 3 baths, 2,000sq/ft, city lot (0.25 or less acre)?  

ER techs make $25/hr in the pacific NW with a high school diploma + cna or emt basic.

• Upvote 1