lets talk flu

Guess I am in the minority.   I treat with Tamiflu unless otherwise contraindicated.

1st of all most pt's in Urgent Care expect the script, and if they don't get it......Bad review.  Something that can not happen.  Our corporate overlords will then have "the talk..." with the provider.  Secondly, goodness help you if you see someone within 48 hours of the flu, don't give them Tamiflu and they end up with pneumonia/organ failure and die.  

Right Wrong or something in between...you will lose that lawsuit.

Before everyone goes nuts about right is right and wrong is wrong......I agree, but medicine is littered with these stupid compromises we make every day.  I just don't think this is the issue to fall on your sword over.  Now antibiotics for URI's.....sure.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, Cideous said:

Guess I am in the minority.   I treat with Tamiflu unless otherwise contraindicated.

1st of all most pt's in Urgent Care expect the script, and if they don't get it......Bad review.  Something that can not happen.  Our corporate overlords will then have "the talk..." with the provider.  Secondly, goodness help you if you see someone within 48 hours of the flu, don't give them Tamiflu and they end up with pneumonia/organ failure and die.  

Before everyone goes nuts about right is right and wrong is wrong......I agree, but medicine is littered with these stupid compromises we make every day.  I just don't think this is the issue to fall on your sword over.  Now antibiotics for URI's.....sure.

I follow the same suit. I'll often print the prescription and staple it to their check out. I'll give the spiel of "I printed a prescription for Tamiflu in case you need it. If it were me or a loved one, I wouldn't advise you take it. It'll decrease your symptoms by about 10 hours on average, but with a host of potential side effects". If people fill it after they leave, so be it.

1 hour ago, Cideous said:

Flu is getting scary this year, and media has been going crazy about it. Lots of previously healthy young people (not just babies and the old) getting secondary PNA, then sepsis, then dead. Just google "flu 2018".

Historically I never give Tamiflu unless they demand it, but now in light of all this I'm giving it for all but the mildest cases. Risk:benefit.

Bad year so far. Had a handful of Flu A+ patients end up on ECMO last month, and we rarely refer patients for ECMO. This past week we have been having steadily more patients testing +.

Critically ill, waiting on the viral panel= I start tamiflu. No question about it. Even if >2-3days. 

On 1/18/2018 at 1:30 PM, PA-SGuy said:

How much does Tamiflu run patients? quick search online said $80-$130. At that price, I don't expect many ppl would actually fill it.

It's generic now (since end of 2016). It was $10 when I filled it couple weeks ago. No longer Tier 2. You can print Good Rx coupon for people without insurance , it will be around $50-60

Last time I checked Up-to-date , they recommend treating at risk patients even outside of 48h window and even if rapid flu test is negative  (if sx consistent with flu)

In healthy patients , I dont treat if sx greater than 48h. If under 48h, I discuss risk vs benefits and let them decide.

Our ID peeps say flu swab only 30-70% percent sensitive this year. So remember.. negative test does not rule it out

Bad season in my neck of the woods. I have about 5-10 positive tests a day. Lots of pt without fever and minor sx testing positive  (our triage nurses test pretty much every body lol). No biggie for the young healthy pts, but scary that these people with minor sx are walking around thinking they just have a cold and spreading to at risk pts. We have a lot of flu admissions this year...elderly especially. Full hospitals ,  lots of ER boarders,  long ED  wait times... ?

The heading for this topic reminds me of this:

Yo, I don't think we should talk about this
(Come on, why not?)
People might misunderstand what we're tryin' to say, you know?
(No, but that's a part of life)
Come on
Let's talk about you and me
Let's talk about all the good things
And the bad things that may be
Let's talk about flu
Let's talk about flu
Let's talk about flu
Let's talk about flu

Let's talk about flu for now
To the people at home or in the crowd
It keeps coming up anyhow
Don't decoy, avoid, or make void the topic
Cause that ain't gonna stop it
Now we talk about flu on the radio and video shows
Many will know, anything goes
Let's tell it like it is, and how it could be
How it was, and of course, how it should be
Those who think it's dirty have a choice
Pick up the needle, press pause, or turn the radio off
Will that stop us, Pep? I doubt it
All right then, come on, Spin...

As a policy, we've stopped doing rapid flu tests for patients being discharged.  If they are admitted, we swab for the flu- if it ends up being negative (which as as lot of you pointed out, is occurring frequently), then it automatically reflexes to the NAT test for confirmation.

For discharge, I'm under no pressure to either prescribe or not prescribe tamiflu.  I **always** have that talk with patients regarding cost, potential side effects, and how little it affects duration of illness- but if they're high risk, I still give it to them because as others have pointed out, potential secondary issues such as sepsis or bacterial pneumonia could be devastating

11 minutes ago, True Anomaly said:

As a policy, we've stopped doing rapid flu tests for patients being discharged.  If they are admitted, we swab for the flu- if it ends up being negative (which as as lot of you pointed out, is occurring frequently), then it automatically reflexes to the NAT test for confirmation.

For discharge, I'm under no pressure to either prescribe or not prescribe tamiflu.  I **always** have that talk with patients regarding cost, potential side effects, and how little it affects duration of illness- but if they're high risk, I still give it to them because as others have pointed out, potential secondary issues such as sepsis or bacterial pneumonia could be devastating

Potential secondary issue to add:  The attorney letter in the daily mail wanting to discuss why it wasn't prescribed?  The legal emblem on the envelope says MMQ and Assoc. (Monday morning quarterback).

• 2 weeks later...

I almost never prescribe Tamiflu for all the reasons mentioned above.  For the pt's I admit from the ED, the hospitalists are wanting Tamiflu, no matter the duration of s/s, so I do.  I did find out that there is an IV version of Tamiflu, peramivir.  I ordered it once on a patient too ill for orals.  Turns out we don't have it in my hospital's pharmacy - it had to come from the mother ship.

1 hour ago, ventana said:

First confirmed case in my facility. Secure 200 population. Adults 

No fevers but aches and felt ill

+ flu B

treated per our protocol

tamiflu (waste imho but in protocol) and isolation. 

ugh 

sorry off op topic

RHC clinic, town of 600, solo private practice, I have had ~40 + flu A or B with most of those linked to another virus such as coronavirus, human metapneumovirus, parainfluenza, and adenovirus all in 2 weeks :( I have been wearing a mask ALL day long! :)

11 hours ago, lkth487 said:

Have had lots of cases this year in peds: in clinic, floor and ICU. Only one instance where we gave tamiflu.  I've been seeing some myocarditis too, with significantly depressed heart function.

What is your threshold on Tamiflu in peds? I would like to hear your guidelines, expertise and your thoughts on psychiatric symptoms due to Tamiflu. 

That's easy - I don't use it.  I've used it only a handful of times in super critically ill peds patients but overall, it's such a stupid drug.  

Like for intubated kids, people talk about IV version, but there's no benefit:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/25115871/

For the oral version, the only times I've used it was in confirmed cases of pediatric influenza where the sx began less than 72 hours ago AND the child was high risk (not just by age as the CDC defines it but due to other factors such as, premature lungs, a genetic immunodeficiency or a baby with HIV for example).  

I personally don't find the data compelling enough to justify the use of the medication vs the side effects. 

Archived