Doing Something Other Than Medicine

My other ideas that require capital I don't have:

1. a roller skating rink. cost $350 to get the national guide on building one and about 2-3 million ground up

2. hardware store - my neighborhood needs one. Franchise $725K

3. diner/bakery- gluten free since I have celiac and good baked goods are hard to find. My dad was quick to remind me that 50% of restaurants fail. Thanks for the support, Pop. Upstra likely close to one million to get going and arrange for one year plus my town makes business ownership painful.

4. Lottery ticket

Needless to say, I will be headed back to work at the VA Monday.....

I have a lot of similar feelings.  "Make the customer happy".  Sometimes hard to do. I'm not going to practice medicine the way patients want. I'm going to practice evidence based medicine. Patients are in charge of the care they receive, but are not in charge of me. I present options of treatment and they can choose if they want to do it or not.  A lot of patients see us as where they go get what they think they need not where they go to find out what is wrong and how to treat it.  How many pt's admit they understand their smoking contributes to their cough and recurrent URI sx and quit when suggested?  

Had a pt's mother get mad when doing ortho.  Her son had his 4th fracture from racing dirt bikes. I politely suggested trying another activity since he has been hurt so many times. She smugly told me how she encouraged him to do what he enjoyed and how she supported his choices if it made him happy.  I asked mom if her son was on the rifle team at school and he kept shooting himself would she continue to let him do it because she supported his choices if it made him happy? Needless to say she did not like my comparison.

This post was abt doing something other than medicine. I'm thinking about opening a BBQ restaurant. Found a town with 60,000 people and there is only 1 place that serves crappy BBQ. I have been smoking BBQ, chicken, and ribs for years and have developed my own sauce, all of which has been described as good enough to sell. The town is in the upper mid west and we are from the rural south. I believe a guy with a thick southern accent selling authentic southern BBQ, baked beans, tater salad,  slaw, and banana pudding can make a killing.  The novelty of a little rustic restaurant and folks that talk like Andy Griffith will bring customers in for 6 months and after that they will come back to get the food.  I am planning a move to work at the local hospital as a PA with my wife (she manages an assisted living facility now) managing the BBQ place until it gets established and then we will do it together full time if it is as successful as I expect it will be. My 5 yr plan if successful is to sell the BBQ place and retire. 

About every 2-3 months I go through a phase where I absolutely hate medicine and want out more than anything in the world. It lasts about a week. I come home in an awful mood, vent to my poor wife for an hour, rack my brains exploring alternative pathways for a new career and come to the same dead ends I always do. Then I get over the hump and go back to being neutral about my job.

I've learned it can all be be boiled down to burnout, and to a lesser extend attitude. A bad attitude can run anyone's job outlook,, but you can have the best attitude in the world and still lose the war of attrition that is the daily grind in medicine. I'm a firm believer this profession was not meant to be done on a full-time basis. 

Part time work would seem to be the answer, but then I have the issue of making ends meet on a part-time salary.

For me the roadblocks to leaving are 1) student debt, 2) unwillingness to go back to school and acquire more debt, and 3) I have no other marketable skills; not skills that would pay me an appreciable living anyway.

So the solution for now is to save, not have kids, and hang on for PSLF in 8 years.

That's the other possibility, but not sure.  His previous postings may indicate otherwise.
We just bought 80 acres of land, spent past 2 weeks clearing fence lines so we can run cattle in the spring.

Now we gotta do some hinges about the damn deer!
I would love to help you with those deer. You know how to find me if you are serious.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2017 at 10:41 AM, eighthnote24 said:

My life is a LOT better since moving into academia full time....just saying....

Of course those few days each month I still have to do some clinic time suck about 10 times more than they ever did....but overall....

How big of a salary cut did you experience? I have given it serious thought, but the thought of making so much less a year is daunting. 

On 11/13/2017 at 8:41 AM, eighthnote24 said:

My life is a LOT better since moving into academia full time....just saying....

just like with anything there are good and bad academic positions. some are 3 days/week with great benefits, etc. Others are M-F all day and require you to be present many weekends for admissions committees. I have looked at faculty positions that would be a 50% salary cut for more hrs than I do now and have been offered positions with much more free time than I have now at only a 33% salary cut(this for an associate program director position). when it comes down to it, I just like practicing high acuity, low volume emergency medicine too much. If I was stuck doing fast track I would likely have gone into academics years ago, despite the salary cut.

20 hours ago, eighthnote24 said:

I actually did not get a pay cut at all.  I do realize this is not typically the case, however.  My benefits are much better than any clinical job I've had.

Did you have experience in academia?  From what I read, you must have additional academic teaching experience to break into it.

MOST entry level positions require an MS and 2 yrs clinical experience. If you want to be a program director or Dean today you pretty much need a doctorate and/or teaching experience. I was offered an associate program director position without experience teaching PAs in a classroom setting, although I have taught paramedics, acls, and phtls before and was a tutor for ekg and pharm while in PA school. I've also been a clinical preceptor for PA/NP/MD/DO students and residents for > 20 years. most pa faculty positions are posted here on the PAEA site(gotta say, the ones @ the new program at CSU Monterey bay are tempting):

http://jobs.paeaonline.org/job-category/faculty/

Archived