Pre-PA and prerequisites

I am a current Sophomore Biology major, and plan on attending PA school after graduation. All of the PA schools I am interested in require about the same prerequisites. I am currently taking Organic Chemistry I, and am wondering if it is necessary for me to take Organic II. None of the schools I am interested in require beyond Organic I, but will it make me look more competitive to take Organic II? I really don't like the class, and currently have a B, so would it be worth it to take Organic II and risk a B/B-? Or would I (and my GPA) be better off without it? Also, taking Organic II would allow me to take biochemistry, which is also not required. 

Definitely take Biochem and since Orgo II is a prereq for that (as you said), then take that as well. I say this because many programs are beginning to require biochemistry as a requirement for their PA program. Some others would give you an extra positive mark for taking Biochem. There may be other departments in your school that offers Biochemistry. Just be careful in taking a biochemistry course under the Nursing department as I've heard of some programs not accepting those.

Like what others have already said, just because the programs you're interested in does not require it, doesn't mean they will not in the future. You may also decide to broaden your choices down the road and you wouldn't want to be limited in that just because of a course or two.

Good luck!

I would say skip orgo II and still take biochemistry if you want. Orgo II is nice but not necessary for biochem. If you don't take it now you can always take it elsewhere later (online if you have to). 

No PA ever uses anything they learned from orgo II in practice, but it might help you understand the back of your shampoo bottle a little better....

Take any pre-requisite class even remotely on your radar; so yes, take Orgo 2 and then biochem. You don't want to encounter what I did, where your top choices changed their requirements 2 months after you graduate and then you find yourself going back and kicking yourself for a semester for not having done it already. This game is getting more competitive each year and all these schools seem to be changing what they want constantly, so be proactive and bite the bullet! Plus, biochem is pretty cool-- by far my favorite class in undergrad!

Archived