Hey everyone! 

I was recently accepted into a program for fall of 2020. BIOCHEM was not a prerequisite, but I have been currently retaking the class in case I had to re apply. My acceptance is conditional based on having an up to date physical and that is It (I already submitted the physical). My question is, is It worth finishing up this class strong? Or should I stop putting effort into the class and relax until my program starts? I’m not sure what to do & don’t want to waste time studying if I do not have to! Thanks !!

• 2 weeks later...

While there are principles of biochemistry inherent to the study of medicine, I feel that continuing your class will not benefit your studies during PA school. You need an understanding of the basic fundamentals of biochem to understand medicine, which you primarily obtain through other undergraduate science courses/prerequisites. You don't need to understand and shouldn't ever be tested on principles of amino acid synthesis or lipid catabolism during PA school. 

Having said that, most programs either start their didactic curriculum with an intense review of basic science (immunology, cell bio, physiology) and/or incorporate it throughout the didactic curriculum to varying levels of detail. Finishing your biochem course could help keep those basic science principles fresh in your mind. But overall I think you should relax and enjoy your time before starting school.