The NEW normal....Jesh.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On that note, what are some things a prior PA can do aside from just doing something entirely different? Teach? What else?

In regards to teaching. Can a PA with a masters degree teach classes at a community college? Classes like A&P? Biology?

Corpsman89,

With a master's degree, you can definitely teach at a community college. Most of the PA programs will accept instructors and faculty with MS degrees as well.

I would like to hear from our Canadian colleagues on the single payer system and life for them.

Single payer systems DO work in the world but the mindset has to change and with our political system full of clowns - that is not likely.

The 1%ers cannot possibly understand how the majority of Americans live or struggle.

Germany's system is actually quite good.

The 1%ers don't use the single payer system. They have the money to go to the capitalist system which is better.

I'm creating back up plans as we speak, my friend.

Why leave medicine after a single lawsuit though? A majority of suits are settled before ever going to trial, covered by malpractice or state funds. They'll never see a dime of your income. And rarely will there ever be any impact on your license.

With such a high probability of being named in a suit (and you may be named with 30 other people and 3 hospitals; because you saw the patient once for a follow-up, but you're not the primary target), why would one drive you out of the field altogether? Just curious.

I think the stats are a 99% likelihood of being named at least once if you practice for 30 years.

PACDan

I agree with your likely statistics.

I have been named in one case much as you describe - they cited everyone including those who clean the hospital room......

It hasn't driven me from practice but made me sour and crankier.

The US is a litigious society with no tort reform or common sense.

People just get peeved and sue - stupid but normal for our society.

I am not gone yet and will be cleared in this case or the whole stupid thing will be dismissed but it has caused me anxiety, sleeplessness and a fair share of bitterness. I admit that I have looked at alternatives such as owning  my own business that has ZERO to do with medicine.

It can make you gun shy and tainted.

Getting sued is not nearly as likely as you think:

Does a history of lawsuit make future malpractice claims more likely?

Studdert DM, et al. Prevalence and Characteristics of Physicians Prone to Malpractice Claims. N Engl J Med. 2016 Jan 28;374(4):354-62. PMID: 26816012

This study evaluated the distribution of paid malpractice claims among physicians nationwide and tried to identify physician characteristics associated with incurring multiple paid claims.

Study design:

The authors used the National Practitioner Data Bank to look for all payments from MDs and DOs from 2005-2014. Claims paid by those older than 65 were excluded.

Statistical analyses were used to determine characteristics of physicians at high risk for multiple claims and to quantify the risk level over time.

Study results:

50% of the claims were in four specialties: internal medicine, general surgery, general/family practice, and obstetrics/gynecology. Each of these specialities accounted for between 11 and 15% of all claims.

Neurosurgeons had the highest rate of recurrence, or multiple suits.

There were approximately 64,000 claims paid against 54,000 doctors in the study analysis.

Given that 54,000 doctors had claims against them in this 10 year study period (and considering that there are 900,000 physicians in the US) this equates to 6% of all physicians paying a claim in 10 years.

Approximately 1% of physicians had more than 2 claims, and these physicians accounted for 32% of all paid claims.

0.2% of physicians had more than 3 paid claims, accounting for 12% of all the money that was paid out.

Surprisingly, physicians between the ages of 45 and 54 were more likely to be sued.

Only 3% of claims were paid to satisfy the courts, proving that most claims are settled before the case goes to court.

The median payment for all cases was $204,000.

Physicians were more likely to have a second claim in the year or two following a prior claim.

The bottom line: A small number of physicians with distinctive characteristics accounted for a disproportionately large number of paid malpractice claims.

They'll never see a dime of your income. And rarely will there ever be any impact on your license.

This statement is simply not true.  Every year you fill out a license renewal report and every year you must explain if and why you were sued.

Every job application forever will make you explain that lawsuit and not just explain it, but forward all relevant decisions, information and outcomes.....FOR THE REST OF YOUR CARRER.  If you are still in the middle of the lawsuit (and these things take YEARS to be over with), good luck getting a job.  I have had more then one employer, and virtually every locum breath a sigh of relief when I tell them I am clean (knocks on hard wood).  Several have told me straight out that they do NOT hire anyone with ANY history of suits.  Not because they don't want to, but because their malpractice carrier would raise their rates on them.  That's a fact, and everyone here who has interviewed for a job will tell you.  It might not be the first question the employer asks you, but it will be one of the first few questions asked.

They can have a devastating impact on providers emotionally, vocationally, and financially.  There are literally retreat camps for providers that meet simply to help you get over the psychological trauma of a bad malpractice lawsuit.  So please don't downplay the hell they put the provider through as anyone who has had to endure one can attest.

Getting sued is not nearly as likely as you think:

Does a history of lawsuit make future malpractice claims more likely?

Studdert DM, et al. Prevalence and Characteristics of Physicians Prone to Malpractice Claims. N Engl J Med. 2016 Jan 28;374(4):354-62. PMID: 26816012

This study evaluated the distribution of paid malpractice claims among physicians nationwide and tried to identify physician characteristics associated with incurring multiple paid claims.

Study design:

The authors used the National Practitioner Data Bank to look for all payments from MDs and DOs from 2005-2014. Claims paid by those older than 65 were excluded.

Statistical analyses were used to determine characteristics of physicians at high risk for multiple claims and to quantify the risk level over time.

Study results:

50% of the claims were in four specialties: internal medicine, general surgery, general/family practice, and obstetrics/gynecology. Each of these specialities accounted for between 11 and 15% of all claims.

Neurosurgeons had the highest rate of recurrence, or multiple suits.

There were approximately 64,000 claims paid against 54,000 doctors in the study analysis.

Given that 54,000 doctors had claims against them in this 10 year study period (and considering that there are 900,000 physicians in the US) this equates to 6% of all physicians paying a claim in 10 years.

Approximately 1% of physicians had more than 2 claims, and these physicians accounted for 32% of all paid claims.

0.2% of physicians had more than 3 paid claims, accounting for 12% of all the money that was paid out.

Surprisingly, physicians between the ages of 45 and 54 were more likely to be sued.

Only 3% of claims were paid to satisfy the courts, proving that most claims are settled before the case goes to court.

The median payment for all cases was $204,000.

Physicians were more likely to have a second claim in the year or two following a prior claim.

The bottom line: A small number of physicians with distinctive characteristics accounted for a disproportionately large number of paid malpractice claims.

Is this study true though?

I find it hard to believe that physicians in family/internal medicine are sued more than ER physicians. Not based on what I've seen and heard elsewhere, and read in multiple studies.

Furthermore, I've met people that were sued for pretty much no reason. As an internal medicine PA, this is obviously concerning to me.....and way more of a concern than an idiot administrator or an NP that doesn't know their place.

This statement is simply not true.  Every year you fill out a license renewal report and every year you must explain if and why you were sued.

Every job application forever will make you explain that lawsuit and not just explain it, but forward all relevant decisions, information and outcomes.....FOR THE REST OF YOUR CARRER.  If you are still in the middle of the lawsuit (and these things take YEARS to be over with), good luck getting a job.  I have had more then one employer, and virtually every locum breath a sigh of relief when I tell them I am clean (knocks on hard wood).  Several have told me straight out that they do NOT hire anyone with ANY history of suits.  Not because they don't want to, but because their malpractice carrier would raise their rates on them.  That's a fact, and everyone here who has interviewed for a job will tell you.  It might not be the first question the employer asks you, but it will be one of the first few questions asked.

They can have a devastating impact on providers emotionally, vocationally, and financially.  There are literally retreat camps for providers that meet simply to help you get over the psychological trauma of a bad malpractice lawsuit.  So please don't downplay the hell they put the provider through as anyone who has had to endure one can attest.

Exactly.

That's why if and when I get sued, I will settle as fast as possible and then leave medicine forever.

What I think is truly terrible is that it is very difficult to successfully counter sue in these cases. Obviously, if some POS lawyer (which is all of them) and ill-intentioned patient frivolously sue a provider, they should not only pay that provider's legal expenses, but should be forced to pay money to that provider for the damage this will cause to their career.

Obviously, our backwards legal system will not allow such a thing at this point....and it will be a huge undertaking to change these kinds of things. But it is one of my long-term goals.

This is the rationale behind tort reform. In Texas, cash awards are limited per party and as far as individuals go it really isn't worth the time of the attorney to pursue it unless there are deep pockets (institutions) and gross negligence. In the majority of filings I think it's a matter of the attorney to limit their costs and to see what they can get from a settlement perspective in those that even do get filed. My "name the chart" case was pre-reform and I was dropped post deposition. I only had to mention it on license renewal I think for 3-5 years as I recall. I don't recall any employer ever asking about it, or filings in general.

• 3 weeks later...

I somehow missed this reply. Every study I've seen on the subject points to what I gave. I have no reason to reject this study based on power, sources, and/or methods. Do you see a flaw, other than it doesn't reflect anecdote? If you have others to contribute, I would love to see them. Some of way things phrased in this post may seem like I'm going on an offensive, but know it is not. Just asking direct questions. I can definitely be swayed with new evidence.

Is this study true though?

I find it hard to believe that physicians in family/internal medicine are sued more than ER physicians. Not based on what I've seen and heard elsewhere, and read in multiple studies.

Furthermore, I've met people that were sued for pretty much no reason. As an internal medicine PA, this is obviously concerning to me.....and way more of a concern than an idiot administrator or an NP that doesn't know their place.

Archived