2016-2017 application cycle

Congrats, that's awesome! If you don't mind, would you share your stats? I'm also a first time, re-applicant! As in, I applied last cycle to UF, and then again this cycle, if that's what you meant, too. Thanks! 

Overall science GPA on the low end, last 30 credits of science >3.7 GPA, >2000 HCE hours, strong extracurriculars, and I have a master of public health degree. You can PM me if you have more questions! I did apply for the first time last cycle with low expectations. Since then, I did a lot more in respect to taking more science classes and taking on large scale community health projects to have a much stronger application the second time around. Good luck this cycle!!!! Hope you can get in :)

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

first time re-applicant? this is your second time applying? how did your first time applying go?

This is my second time applying. The first time like I said a little earlier, I applied when I was overall an average to below average applicant. I did get one interview in one of the reach schools I applied to, which ended in a rejection. In the meantime, I worked on the weaker aspects of my application and this time around I felt a lot more confident when I submitted the CASPA app. Last cycle, I submitted and got verified in late July/Mid-August whereas this cycle I made sure to submit it within a week of the CASPA app opening. 

Congrats to all getting your interview calls! I hope you find the experience as enjoyable as I did.

I was recently in G'Ville and stayed at a great little hotel near the Health Science Center that I wanted to share. I have no relationship with them, its just that finding a quality, clean, and not sketchy place nearby can be tough (READ reviews on Trip Advisor before booking!).

I stayed at the Home2 Suites by Hilton. Its a new place, really friendly service, very close to the HSC, and right across from a pretty decent Mexican place called La Tienda.

All the best to everyone interviewing and waiting for the call! It's a long waiting game, but well worth it!

Heck, I'm still waiting to feel like I know what I'm doing when I'm practicing this medicine thing. Don't worry, I felt prepared, just learning every single day I'm at the zoo... I mean, in the ED :D

Does earlier interview date coorelate to higher acceptance chance than a later one?

Not necessarily. UF does not fill the class until all the interview dates have passed (December), in other words, if there are 20 people interviewing, there will be at least 20 open spots in the class (no rolling admission).

That being said, the earlier one interviews, the more you are "looked at" by the committee, so that does bode in one's favor. However, every class has people from the last interview date, so there really isn't a good correlation, nor would I say that the later groups have a lesser chance.

Unfortunately, this means there is more waiting in the future for many of you. Sorry. Only a very select few get calls immediately after the interviews. The great majority hear much later on in the year as they approach the final interview dates (less spots need to be held open), with a bunch of calls going out in December as the class is put together. Then the wait list game begins, with those calls going out as late as May/June.

All the best!

Archived