2016-2017 Application cycle

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems to me that UPAP has more interest in accepting individuals with military background rather than having an equal amount of diversity in their school. Whether this diversity pertains to i individuals from various work background, culture, experience, color, and/or age.

It seems to me that UPAP has more interest in accepting individuals with military background rather than having an equal amount of diversity in their school. Whether this diversity pertains to i individuals from various work background, culture, experience, color, and/or age.

What would make you think that? Was there something in the application/interview process which portrays those ideals/preferences? Not trying to minimize your thoughts, just looking for some insight.

Currently in my class we have a massive amount of diversity and backgrounds, varying from an interpreter to dietitians, nurses, and a foreign medical doctor. We have a grand total of 3 people including myself with a military background, and none of us have a military only medical experience background.

It seems to me that UPAP has more interest in accepting individuals with military background rather than having an equal amount of diversity in their school. Whether this diversity pertains to i individuals from various work background, culture, experience, color, and/or age.That's 

That's an odd assessment. There are only like 3 people with a military background in our class and we have a lot of diversity and people from all sorts of backgrounds. The forum thread this year was quite a bit of military discussion but that certainly doesn't give you the whole picture. 

I think following about u of u

During my group interview sessions I asked them a question ( one of the faculty is pa school founding member at other program ) I assume as she is a top notch she will give me an insight of PANCE rate. I asked them, since you are the founding member of pa school and you are significantly working towards the improving the profession at educational point of view, can you please tell me what you ( I mean U of U )have done to increase the PANCE rate at U of U, what steps you have taken to improve it and where did you fail ? ( I have asked this question because it is a great school but their PANCE rate is barely match up with national average ).

Both member looked some what stressed ( one of them turn red )and ended up giving me a very generic answer like we continuously evaluate the our syllabus, take student opinion in account but none of them explicitly explained what they have tried to improve the PANCE rate. At last, one faculty said We don't care for the PANCE rate, we strive to develop a good PA. Well that's right, but at the end of the course PA needs to pass the board in order to practice.

Well I was the interviewee, so I didn't say anything and smiled. I have also seen that how he scored me in yellow sheet of paper.

Don't ask your interviewer any question that they cannot answer or turn red :-)

Secondly,

During our group interview, faculty didn't said anything beside initial question,we talked for 45 minutes, however, we found out with other group that their faculty were engaged with them throughout interview. Well nothing I can change but I would like to let other candidate know about my experience.

P.S. I have a 3 acceptance from other universities before my interview at u of u and I am currently interviewing at other schools just know how is the program and whether I like it or not.

Didn't get in. BUT, honestly the candidates I interviewed with were AMAZING individuals and I am so happy for them! Bummed, but it just means I'm applying again next year! It truly is an amazing program and I can only imagine it came down to fine details in selecting their candidates.

Congrats to everyone that made it! You deserve it!

To those of us who didn't, we can't be discouraged! If this is the program we truly want, we try again. It just means we have an opportunity to really shine...again!

I think following about u of u

During my group interview sessions I asked them a question ( one of the faculty is pa school founding member at other program ) I assume as she is a top notch she will give me an insight of PANCE rate. I asked them, since you are the founding member of pa school and you are significantly working towards the improving the profession at educational point of view, can you please tell me what you ( I mean U of U )have done to increase the PANCE rate at U of U, what steps you have taken to improve it and where did you fail ? ( I have asked this question because it is a great school but their PANCE rate is barely match up with national average ).

Both member looked some what stressed ( one of them turn red )and ended up giving me a very generic answer like we continuously evaluate the our syllabus, take student opinion in account but none of them explicitly explained what they have tried to improve the PANCE rate. At last, one faculty said We don't care for the PANCE rate, we strive to develop a good PA. Well that's right, but at the end of the course PA needs to pass the board in order to practice.

Well I was the interviewee, so I didn't say anything and smiled. I have also seen that how he scored me in yellow sheet of paper.

Don't ask your interviewer any question that they cannot answer or turn red :-)

Secondly,

During our group interview, faculty didn't said anything beside initial question,we talked for 45 minutes, however, we found out with other group that their faculty were engaged with them throughout interview. Well nothing I can change but I would like to let other candidate know about my experience.

P.S. I have a 3 acceptance from other universities before my interview at u of u and I am currently interviewing at other schools just know how is the program and whether I like it or not.

Yes I had a similar experience during the interview. Additionally, our group interview consisted of interaction from the candidates while the two interviewers did not say much to us. I felt kind of weird because they did not interact with us at all, and finally asked asked a question that was near impossible for either of us candidates to answer. Finally I would like to point out that the current students have answered about diversity; although, I did not see much people of different color during the interview process and neither during the social probably 5%. I have interviewed at different schools and I've met many great candidates with various background and experiences.

Pance rate is an important factor for me also as you mentioned to become a PA you will need to pass the boards not only be a good PA but a knowledge one.

Any good luck to the everyone waiting to hear.

This is odd. UPAP was the only program I interviewed at (U of Charleston, Midwestern, and Duke) that actually had a diverse population of interviewees. 

For anyone who is interested in the demographics of our class they are posted online. As you can see only 23 percent of applicants to our program were of diverse ethnic backgrounds. However, 33% percent of our accepted class is from a diverse ethnicity. You can also see from the work experience and degrees we are all different. Anecdotal evidence about what you think you saw at the interview doesn't tell you anything. You also can't look at people and make assumptions about ethnicity.

http://medicine.utah.edu/dfpm/physician-assistant-studies/program/pdfs/demographics2016.pdf

Hey I would like to say hi to my fellow classmates of class 48!!! My name is David and I had another user name on the forum of drummer1 but can't seem to get into that profile due to technical difficulties. Also would like to congratulate other applicants who interviewed and got into other programs!!! I really don't understand some statements above but respect you thoughts.. I was thinking about 95% of 45 huummm that's really not bad for a standardized test .. I know personally over the last 15 years of my health care experience and the three different certifications and one license no one has ever asked what my score was..

To the reapplicants in this thread,

I plan on reapplying to UPAP next year and I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions or tips on what they did to bolster their application. My grades are fine and I plan on continuing my volunteer work and engaging with the community. Is there anything else I can do to really seal the deal the next round?

Thanks in advance!

Hi rcmdc,

I took a couple more classes...I would recommend Genetics if you haven't taken that one yet. I tried to cease every opportunity to shadow more PA's and gradially gained more healthcare experience. Try and work more with the underserved populations if you can. Reanalyze your interview and see if there is anything that you could do better. I would practice your interview skills in front of a mirror or practice with friends/family...dress up and conduct it like it is an actual interview.

Or you could of rocked everything. I am sure that it is very very hard to choose between some students. Apply next year, show them that you are committed to being a PA.

Best of luck.

Hi rcmdc,

I took a couple more classes...I would recommend Genetics if you haven't taken that one yet. I tried to cease every opportunity to shadow more PA's and gradially gained more healthcare experience. Try and work more with the underserved populations if you can. Reanalyze your interview and see if there is anything that you could do better. I would practice your interview skills in front of a mirror or practice with friends/family...dress up and conduct it like it is an actual interview.

Or you could of rocked everything. I am sure that it is very very hard to choose between some students. Apply next year, show them that you are committed to being a PA.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely look into adding Genetics to my science courses. I can always improve on my interview skills so I'll definitely be doing that as well! Hope to see you next year!

Hi RC MDC I think the most important thing to think about when applying would be to really focus on interview skills I myself was a re-applicant. I believe that you know classes could be good healthcare experience is always good but the reality is you've already done something that was right in order to get an interview in the first place . With such a large applicant pool the most important thing going in there is being able to sell yourself and really show why you want to go to that particular program. You have to be able to give answers to questions that they don't already know about you they're looking for the stuff that's not in the black-and-white looking for the stuff that shows why you want to be a PA and why the University of Utah. I want to encourage everyone that's thinking about reapplying to do it . It can be discouraging but I say look at it as it's a two-part interview you've already done the first part now you just have to wait to do the second part and it shows your dedication and determination of why you want to be a PA never give up on your dreams because it'll happen it's not a matter of if but when .

Hi RC MDC I think the most important thing to think about when applying would be to really focus on interview skills I myself was a re-applicant. I believe that you know classes could be good healthcare experience is always good but the reality is you've already done something that was right in order to get an interview in the first place . With such a large applicant pool the most important thing going in there is being able to sell yourself and really show why you want to go to that particular program. You have to be able to give answers to questions that they don't already know about you they're looking for the stuff that's not in the black-and-white looking for the stuff that shows why you want to be a PA and why the University of Utah. I want to encourage everyone that's thinking about reapplying to do it . It can be discouraging but I say look at it as it's a two-part interview you've already done the first part now you just have to wait to do the second part and it shows your dedication and determination of why you want to be a PA never give up on your dreams because it'll happen it's not a matter of if but when .

Thank you for the advice! When I revisit my interview day, I know there were things I could've said better. I know people here were super prepared. I'm wondering if 5 mock interviews prior to the actual interview was too much, I'm afraid I might have come off rehearsed. It just goes back to your point of improving upon my interview skills. Hope to see y'all next year!

Thank you for the advice! When I revisit my interview day, I know there were things I could've said better. I know people here were super prepared. I'm wondering if 5 mock interviews prior to the actual interview was too much, I'm afraid I might have come off rehearsed. It just goes back to your point of improving upon my interview skills. Hope to see y'all next year!

It's possible , but it would be better to be over-prepared than not prepared at all. I know for me the first year I really prepared for the Exam and worked on my answers to questions they might ask. This time I only really worked on my interview skills by just practicing telling people about PA school the program and what pa's do in the health care model. It might seem strange but the first two times I applied to the program I didn't share with my co-workers my plans or goals as far as pa school. I started thinking this time around that for me this was an untapped resource. I say if the opportunity to do education about the profession happens ,then do it. The only other the tips I have would be two think about this list . 1. Three reasons that are specific to why the u. 2. Have three things that make you stand out are separate you from your peers! 3. Have three questions to ask your interviews that are as specific as possible. 4. also have some thought of some skills you could bring to your classmates. Have some examples of how you could do this. ex. if you say support and encouragement than have examples ready to show how you would do that.

• 1 month later...

Archived