Good luck to everyone applying this cycle. Ill keep updating as things get verified or contact is made. 

CASPA Submitted 05/14/2016

Verified on 5/18

• Upvote 3

I got my supplemental link today. I'm going to go through last years thread but does anyone know if they send the supplemental to everyone or is it a good sign? 

I also received the supplemental link today! 

According to UPAP's website: 

There is no fee for the Supplemental Application, and it will be available only to those applicants whose CASPA applications have been verified. The supplemental application and will available on Wednesday, June 1, 2016. Candidates whose CASPA applications have been verified will receive the link via e-mail within a few days of being verified by CASPA. Both applications are required in order for your application to be eligible for evaluation.

I have an old coworker who is a second year right now so if you guys have any questions I can get an inside answer. He said that Interviews aren't extended until the beginning of October for mid November. 

Diggy, what is your profile pic? It's been giving me the heebie jeebies for months. 

• Upvote 1

Diggy, what is your profile pic? It's been giving me the heebie jeebies for months. 

LOL!

It's modern day Chucky. Friendly and innocent by day, insane psychopath by night, aka me.

Anyway enough about my childhood traumas. 

I just completed the supplemental application. Now for months of waiting.

good luck again everybody. 

I got my supplemental link today. I'm going to go through last years thread but does anyone know if they send the supplemental to everyone or is it a good sign? 

As was noted by Diggy, everyone who has their application verified by CASPA and meets the program requirements gets the link to the supplemental application. 

Source: Current first year at UPAP

• Upvote 1

As was noted by Diggy, everyone who has their application verified by CASPA and meets the program requirements gets the link to the supplemental application. 

Source: Current first year at UPAP

How do you like the program so far? I'm from out of state.

How do you like the program so far? I'm from out of state.

We are a 4 weeks in now and it is phenomenal. We have I think 15 people from out of state right now in our year and they all love it. The staff and instructors place a huge emphasis on every student graduating. They do not overbook the program expecting a certain percentage of failure/dropouts. 

• Upvote 2

While I am currently a MEDEX student, I did my undergrad/nursing school at UofU and cannot say enough great things about the school and hospital! Definitely a great place to apply, so good luck to everyone & feel free to message me with any questions about the area.

• Upvote 1

Submitted my CASPA application on 5/29 and got my supplemental application on 6/3. Just sent that in today, so now it is just a waiting game to see who are the chosen few to get an interview. October seems so far away!

• Upvote 1

Good to see some fellow HMs represent this cycle.. Let me know if you are interested in coming back in the Navy and getting paid that E-6 pay while in school. Good luck to all!

Caleb_jo. Man o man I wish I could do the HSCP scholarship! Unfortunetely I dont qualify because I have >30% compensation from the VA. BUT! I do qualify for voc rehab, so it looks like things may work out in the end! If I am picked for an interview at U of U, I will def. contact you regarding interview process and the schools view of veterans! 

• Upvote 1

Good to see some fellow HMs represent this cycle.. Let me know if you are interested in coming back in the Navy and getting paid that E-6 pay while in school. Good luck to all!

Availing the HSCP is part of the plan if I got accepted and Post 9/11 would not cover most of the bill. For now the focus is getting an interview and hopefully get accepted to the program.  If you would not mind, if I get an interview, if I can contact you to get some pointers for the interview process. Good everyone especially to my fellow HMs! Hoorah

• Upvote 1

Oh just great, I was feeling outgunned already and now I have to compete with Vets?!?! But seriously thank you both for your service and sacrifice. Hope we get to meet at interviews. 

• Upvote 1

I can't do HSCP either, hoping VocRehab will pay :) I'm standing by to find out (already been a month)

Myself and one other in my class (1st year) are both on Voc Rehab. 100% covered + monthly stipend. Great program, use it for sure if you can! They required us to have an acceptance letter before confirming they would pay for the school. Once I had it I was confirmed within the week.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By viveksivaraman
      Hey PA Forum, I am Pre-PA and I wanted advice to where my feelings in the application process stand. I went through my undergrad with not much of a direction, graduating with a BS in Biochemistry but a 2.86 GPA. I worked for 2 years as a "scientist" but I was really just running samples through a machine (medical device) and it did not allow any sort of interesting work. I worked as part of the lab at the Boston Marathon, analyzing runner blood samples in the device, and it was the first time I was exposed to the medical field. This allowed me to appreciate their work, and also, for the first time, feel I could make a difference with my efforts. I capitalized on this excitement, and looked into nursing and PA, and decided PA. I got an EMT certification, and gave CPR to a patient in a trauma room at the nearby hospital as part of the certification. I was so excited, and then I got a job as a CNA in a teaching hospital on a heart failure floor. Everything was coming along. I was also taking pre-reqs this whole time, I completed A&P I,II, Genetics, Biochemistry, all either A or B+. As I worked at the hospital, I mainly bathed patients, and provided care in daily living, working under nurses. But the attitude of the nurses really got to me. Some would bully the technicians in a way, it was never intentional but I could not stand them. All the technicians and nurses were gossipy women and I, more of an introverted male, just felt nothing in common with them, and everything I did was judged. Nurses, and techs and female patients would occasionally hit on me, and it just felt uncomfortable. It became so frustrating for me that these shifts became almost me vs them, in my head. But I kept pushing on, I kept searching for jobs in the ER, because that seemed so exciting to me. I shadowed a resident in the ER, and loved every minute of it. I really enjoyed it because it was exciting; very different than anything I had seen; the machinery of the body was in a life threatening situation, and it was very rewarding to fix it. I also really loved all things space, and always was researching things about space. However I wasn't able to get a position in the ER, and I just felt like the oddball out all the time; and the feminine and social aspect of medicine was driving me nuts. I felt like everywhere in healthcare was this; and had this veneer or being the savior for patients, I just felt I was beating up the wrong tree for my own goals. I decided I wanted to try something in engineering due to my love of space. So after 9 months of being a tech, and shadowing 5 PAs (only enjoyed the ER shadowing) I moved to Houston, with my sister (couldn't go home, father is an alcoholic and made life at home toxic). I decided to try everything I enjoyed to figure out if this field was for me. I started taking engineering classes, a geology class, and started to learn programming, and am volunteering in a lab where I help a professor research bacteria on the Space Station. I have been stressed out, figuring out if this career is for me. I went to healthcare career fair, and interviewed for an ER Tech job, to try it out again, and am hoping it is less daunting on me. I also am thinking about pursuing biomedical engineering, as it may combine my interests, but I am nervous, because it seems a bit antisocial. I was wondering if I could get some advice about my situation, and if I have it all wrong about actually being a PA. Thanks!
    • By viveksivaraman
      Hey PA Forum, I am Pre-PA, please don't kick me out, as I wanted to know from PAs what they think about the field, and where my feelings in the application process stand. I went through my undergrad with not much of a direction, graduating with a BS in Biochemistry but a 2.86 GPA. I worked for 2 years as a "scientist" but I was really just running samples through a machine (medical device) and it did not allow any sort of interesting work. I worked as part of the lab at the Boston Marathon, analyzing runner blood samples in the device, and it was the first time I was exposed to the medical field. This allowed me to appreciate their work, and also, for the first time, feel I could make a difference with my efforts. I capitalized on this excitement, and looked into nursing and PA, and decided PA. I got an EMT certification, and gave CPR to a patient in a trauma room at the nearby hospital as part of the certification. I was so excited, and then I got a job as a CNA in a teaching hospital on a heart failure floor. Everything was coming along. I was also taking pre-reqs this whole time, I completed A&P I,II, Genetics, Biochemistry, all either A or B+. As I worked at the hospital, I mainly bathed patients, and provided care in daily living, working under nurses. But the attitude of the nurses really got to me. Some would bully the technicians in a way, it was never intentional but I could not stand them. All the technicians and nurses were gossipy women and I, more of an introverted male, just felt nothing in common with them, and everything I did was judged. Nurses, and techs and female patients would occasionally hit on me, and it just felt uncomfortable. It became so frustrating for me that these shifts became almost me vs them, in my head. But I kept pushing on, I kept searching for jobs in the ER, because that seemed so exciting to me. I shadowed a resident in the ER, and loved every minute of it. I really enjoyed it because it was exciting; very different than anything I had seen; the machinery of the body was in a life threatening situation, and it was very rewarding to fix it. I also really loved all things space, and always was researching things about space. However I wasn't able to get a position in the ER, and I just felt like the oddball out all the time; and the feminine and social aspect of medicine was driving me nuts. I felt like everywhere in healthcare was this; and had this veneer or being the savior for patients, I just felt I was beating up the wrong tree for my own goals. I shadowed 5 PAs, and enjoyed the ER experience the most. I decided I wanted to try something in engineering due to my love of space. So after 9 months of being a tech, I moved to Houston, with my sister (couldn't go home, father is an alcoholic and made life at home toxic). I decided to try everything I enjoyed to figure out if this field was for me. I started taking engineering classes, a geology class, and started to learn programming, and am volunteering in a lab where I help a professor research bacteria on the Space Station. I have been stressed out, figuring out if this career is for me. I went to healthcare career fair, and interviewed for an ER Tech job, to try it out again, and am hoping it is less daunting on me. I also am thinking about pursuing biomedical engineering, as it may combine my interests, but I am nervous, because it seems a bit antisocial. I was wondering if I could get some advice about my situation, and if I have it all wrong about actually being a PA. Thanks!
    • By OutdoorPA
      Can anyone recommend a good lawyer in Washington State that is familiar with laws regarding PA owned/operated medical practices?  Considering starting my own practice, and while I've done a lot of my own research, I will ultimately require professional legal advice.
    • By cgrapids
      I'd like to thank you all in advance for your thoughtful comments.  I have been reading this forum, and I decided it was time for me to make a profile and ask for your honest advice:

I am an occupational therapist (very fresh grad), I am in my 30s, and I am happy practicing as an OT for the next 2-3 years to get experience under my belt.  I have observed PAs working with patients during my clinicals and at work, and I am drawn to the work they do, especially conditions and diagnosis.  

I have a 3.7 in my OT program, and in my last 60 of undergraduate my GPA was around a 3.8.  My GPA prior to the last 60 was ABYSMAL, but I went back to school buckled down, and I think my record shows that.  When I bucked down I was a very committed student; I have great references from my OT program, and I hope I can also have good references from my employers if I decide to go for a PA degree. 

I am a little disappointed in myself that I got a lot of B's in classes which don't matter enough for an OT (General Bio, Biochemistry).  My grades fall along these lines:

1. Non science prereqs:  English 101 Comp 101, 102 - A, All psychology courses A's
      2. Gross Anatomy: A, Anatomy and Physiology I and II, Biochemistry B's in both.  Microbiology A
      3. Research Methods, and Statistics A's.  I still need to take inorganic chemistry, and two physiology courses.  

I am considering applying to Wayne State University, and Cuyahoga Community College's program (I'm a cuyahoga county resident born and raised). 

I am unmarried without kids and I have a high degree of flexibility to go anywhere in the country.  I plan on working as an OT for a few years, because I think that work will buttress my application.  I may end up retaking A&P, and Biochem if I need to.  

Do any of you know schools which only consider the last 60 credit hours of your undergraduate record?  I know that my graduate degree in OT will not "count" in GPA calculations for nearly all programs. 

• By runforhotdogs
      I always thought a MBA degree was worth more than a PhD. One may be useful in running a business while the other basically is an ego bump. I already have a masters but it's pretty much useless although it's useful if you want to move up in administration. I am looking for the cheapest and easiest route to a MBA program. Places like University of Phoenix are too expensive. So, just wondering if anyone here actually completed their MBA.

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More