Best paying PCE jobs with no certification or short time to get certified?

Hi there,

I (27y/o) am making a career change from business to become a PA. I'm currently looking at possible positions for PCE. The only thing is that I'm currently making good money and I know I'll need to take a pay cut from where I'm at for these PCE jobs but I still need to be able to pay my bills. I can't quit my job to devote time to getting a cert that will take 1-2 years as I'm single and provide for myself. What kind of PCE jobs are out there that don't require a lot of time to get certified or require no certification at all that will pay well?

Thanks in advanced.

On 10/30/2020 at 7:39 AM, Dlee9 said:

Hi there,

I (27y/o) am making a career change from business to become a PA. I'm currently looking at possible positions for PCE. The only thing is that I'm currently making good money and I know I'll need to take a pay cut from where I'm at for these PCE jobs but I still need to be able to pay my bills. I can't quit my job to devote time to getting a cert that will take 1-2 years as I'm single and provide for myself. What kind of PCE jobs are out there that don't require a lot of time to get certified or require no certification at all that will pay well?

Thanks in advanced.

Behavioral therapist doesn't require any certs. Sometimes they like to see a Psych degree / experience but that's not usually required. And it pays decently well compared to other PCE. It ranges, but places around me are paying around $18/hr.

CNA does not pay as well, but cert can take very little time (some courses are as short as 2 weeks)  and there are tons of job openings in most cases. Plus, CNA has the perk of almost universally being considered PCE. 

Physical therapy aide also does not pay a lot, but does not require any certs.

Some medical assistant positions do not require a certification and are willing to train on the job. I think these jobs would vary in pay, but most of the ones that don't require a cert seem to pay just slightly above minimum wage.

Unfortunately, I would say that a lot of entry level PCE jobs don't pay very well. So you might need to work at your current job for the money and take on a part-time PCE job to gain some hours.

• Upvote 1

Im in the same boat, and have a full time job while working a part time job as an ER tech to help pay bills but also get my PCE hours. 

I actually know a lot of people who have been opthamology techs, but only some schools accept that as PCE.

I was a scribe in the past, and if you're a scribe for a private clinic sometimes the pay is okay. No licensure is required, but scribe is also kind of considered low-middle tier PCE for most schools.

There may also be some clinics who look to hire MAs without licenses, and provide on the job training, but that may only be a few if even any clinics near you.