2016-2017 Application Cycle -- UC Davis

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys! Any current students have advice for content we should include in the supplemental app essays? Particularly the one about specialization/research is throwing me off. Should we talk about what future specialty we would want to practice in? Thanks much and good luck to everyone who is applying!

I don't think you need to do that part. just follow the instructions they sent out

I am a second year student in clinical rotations with UC Davis.  Every program faces challenges and we all have our individual frustrations with this program however the plus' outweigh my frustrations.  The students that have been complaining have only been here for one quarter hardly enough time to make a fair assessment of our program.  We are PA students learning advanced medicine.  This isn't undergrad anymore and this isn't just grad school.  It's PA school and it's a different kind of beast.  At some point students will have to learn that a lot of their education is on them and take responsibility for it.  The school guides us with lectures kind of outlining what we need to know.  It is up to us on how we fill in the rest and how we do it is our choice.  There are plenty of resources here that can help any student succeed.  Faculty, 2nd-year students, student run clinics, talks/seminars outside of class hours, med students, your own cohort...it is what you make it.  A student needs  to be proactive in their learning and not expect the school to spoon fee it to them.  For every one student that complains I can find you two that say the opposite.  Our school is going through some changes and I have only seen improvement since I've been here.  The staff work tirelessly behind the scenes to accommodate student needs. We have one of the best clinical rotation faculties in the whole UC system.  I can tell you that as a 2nd-year the school has adequately prepared me for my clinical rotations.  You can go to any program and find people who will complain.  I am a student going out of my way to tell you the opposite.  Our program is a good program it's currently going through a lot of change, expanding, and of course there are bumps in the road.  However I truly believe that this program will be one of the top in the nation. 

Thanks for addressing my concerns, and that definitely makes me feel more optimistic :) It is encouraging to see students that are enthusiastic about the program. At this point, I will still be submitting my supplemental application and ignore the strange drama that has come about. Good luck to all of you!

Are all of the faculty listed here: http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/nursing/ourteam/faculty/faculty_index.html part of both the NP and PA program? I just want to get a sense of who I would most likely be working with as as a potential student in the PA program---any current UCD students able to answer? 

Yes that looks like an updated list of our current faculty.  It even has our newest faculty Rick Norwood so I trust it is the most up to date.

Hello everyone. 

I am writing the essays for the secondary application and I was wondering if UCD requires the purpose statement to be a completely new paper or if it can be the same as our CASPA statement. I vaguely remember them saying it could be the same during the interview, but I don't know if I just made that up either. 

Thanks

Hello everyone. 

I am writing the essays for the secondary application and I was wondering if UCD requires the purpose statement to be a completely new paper or if it can be the same as our CASPA statement. I vaguely remember them saying it could be the same during the interview, but I don't know if I just made that up either. 

Thanks

It may be tough but I recommend writing new papers that cover another aspect of you as an applicant. The whole purpose of the supplement application (in my opinion) is an opportunity to tell them more about ourselves so that they can get a better perspective of who we are and what type of background we have. To me, it was a great opportunity to mention things that I was not able to in my previous statement that I wrote for CASPA.

On the instructions they attached to the secondary invite, it says:

"2. At this time, you are not required to upload transcripts or letters of recommendation, as this will be done internally using documents previously provided in CASPA or NCAS. Official transcripts submitted through CAPSA and NCAS must include verification that your bachelor's degree was awarded.

Applicants admitted to the program are required to send official transcripts from each institution attended. If admitted, you will be provided with instructions for mailing official transcripts directly to the Office of Graduate Studies."

Additionally, it says it again at the bottom:

"Enter all college or university-level institutions listed in your CASPA or NCAS application. Please disregard the follow-up with instructions to upload transcripts, as this will be completed internally by the School of Nursing."

Hi guys, I'm still working on the supplement and was hoping to get some advice from current students and applicants:

1. For the “statement of purpose essay,” it instructs you to highlight your “academic preparation and motivation” but the questions also says you can talk about employment. So, are you supposed to focus on academic material here OR both academic and work experience??

2. Is it more appropriate to refer to the program as “UC Davis PA Program” or “Betty Irene Moore School of Nursing PA program?” I thought using the latter took up a lot of character, but I also don’t want to risk sounding inappropriate….so idk. Thoughts?

Thank you! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Hi guys, I'm still working on the supplement and was hoping to get some advice from current students and applicants:

• For the “statement of purpose essay,” it instructs you to highlight your “academic preparation and motivation” but the questions also says you can talk about employment. So, are you supposed to focus on academic material here OR both academic and work experience??

• Is it more appropriate to refer to the program as “UC Davis PA Program” or “Betty Irene Moore School of Nursing PA program?” I thought using the latter took up a lot of character, but I also don’t want to risk sounding inappropriate….so idk. Thoughts?

Thank you! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

I kind of just used them interchangeably.. or as the prompts used them.

Btw sick handle! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived