2016-2017 Application Cycle -- UC Davis

Hello again!

I'm super excited to welcome the first two rounds of candidates this week!  Thank you for those of you who clicked the survey; it really helps me plan ahead for how much room we'll need for the meet and greets.  I've recruited a few of my classmates to help organize these things, so be sure to thank them if you get a chance.  Speaking of which:

Tuesday Sep 27th at 7pm.  La Fiesta Taqueria Midtown.  1105 Alhambra Blvd, Sacramento, CA 95816.  There is a small parking lot and otherwise ample street parking.  I'm told it's taco Tuesday so that's cool.  C'mon out, relax, eat, talk, etc...  Thank you to Kelsey for getting this one all set up.

Wednesday Sep 28th at 7pm.  New Helvetia Brewing Company.  1730 Broadway, Sacramento, CA 95818.  No parking lot but there are lots of side streets South of the place to park on.  While they don't serve food, there are three restaurants right next door and they welcome you to bring it on in or have them deliver it to ya.  Oh and they have pretzels.

Good luck to all, let me know if you have any questions!

--Phil

Thanks Phil and Kelsey! I will see you guys there on Tuesday. Coming right after work. 

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holy cow y'all! Congratulations to everyone who got an interview! I don't have any idea what it means if you have not received one yet, but I'll at least say don't give up!

So I've been in LA the past week for the Emergency Nurses' conference and didn't have wifi to log into the forum. As such I missed when y'all got your invitations. Additionally, I've got a bunch of PMs that I'll be responding to in just a little bit. Thank you to my classmates who have provided a ton of information regarding Candidate Day so I'll skip saying much about that.

Here's what I am working on for y'all:

1. The invitations seemed to have gone out super late and haven't offered much time for planning on your part or my part. So I'm working with my classmates to get the meet and greets together.

2. The plan right now is to have a (very) informal meet up the night before each interview at 7pm somewhere in Midtown Sacramento area. This will allow for those of you who might be getting into town a bit late to still make it. The goal of this is to meet other people in your interview group so you're not alone the next day as well as to ask any questions you may not want to ask the next day.

3. I understand coming from across the country, getting a hotel, renting a car and all that on a budget. We don't have any money either, but we do have cars and couches. If anyone needs a place to crash send me a message and I'll try to hook you up with someone's couch. It ain't much but last year I woke before the interview with a spider crawling on my arm. I didn't go back to sleep.

That's about all I gotta say. Please continue to ask all of us your questions about the interview, UC Davis, and Sacramento. We want this to be as easy for y'all as possible. You already have enough to worry about, right?

--Phil

Hi Phil. I think its incredibly awesome of you guys to be putting this together. Do you guys have the dates set? My interview in October 3. I'll be flying in October 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello again!

I'm super excited to welcome the first two rounds of candidates this week! Thank you for those of you who clicked the survey; it really helps me plan ahead for how much room we'll need for the meet and greets. I've recruited a few of my classmates to help organize these things, so be sure to thank them if you get a chance. Speaking of which:

Tuesday Sep 27th at 7pm. La Fiesta Taqueria Midtown. 1105 Alhambra Blvd, Sacramento, CA 95816. There is a small parking lot and otherwise ample street parking. I'm told it's taco Tuesday so that's cool. C'mon out, relax, eat, talk, etc... Thank you to Kelsey for getting this one all set up.

Wednesday Sep 28th at 7pm. New Helvetia Brewing Company. 1730 Broadway, Sacramento, CA 95818. No parking lot but there are lots of side streets South of the place to park on. While they don't serve food, there are three restaurants right next door and they welcome you to bring it on in or have them deliver it to ya. Oh and they have pretzels.

--Phil

Thanks for arranging this! I'm excited to meet everyone. Anyone driving who will be going the 28th? I'm flying in the 28th and planning on getting from the airport to my hotel via Uber. Would greatly appreciate a ride from my hotel to the Brewery! I'm staying at Hotel Med.

Thanks! :)

Hi Mel. I have the same interview date. I look forward to meeting everyone!

Hi Mel and Natalie,

I also have the same interview date- Oct 3rd and will be in Sacramento on Sunday Oct 2nd and staying at the Marriott by the campus if you'd like to meet up. I will definitely be going to the informal meeting that Phil is setting up too if you'd like to go together.

-Shannon

Hi Phil. I think its incredibly awesome of you guys to be putting this together. Do you guys have the dates set? My interview in October 3. I'll be flying in October 2.

Yup we will be having one on October 2nd, 3rd, and 4th all at 7pm.  I don't have the locations finalized for those yet but I promise to let everyone know here at least a couple days in advance.  They should be located in midtown, oak park, or east sac, all of which are within a couple miles of campus.

Hello again!

I'm super excited to welcome the first two rounds of candidates this week!  Thank you for those of you who clicked the survey; it really helps me plan ahead for how much room we'll need for the meet and greets.  I've recruited a few of my classmates to help organize these things, so be sure to thank them if you get a chance.  Speaking of which:

Tuesday Sep 27th at 7pm.  La Fiesta Taqueria Midtown.  1105 Alhambra Blvd, Sacramento, CA 95816.  There is a small parking lot and otherwise ample street parking.  I'm told it's taco Tuesday so that's cool.  C'mon out, relax, eat, talk, etc...  Thank you to Kelsey for getting this one all set up.

Wednesday Sep 28th at 7pm.  New Helvetia Brewing Company.  1730 Broadway, Sacramento, CA 95818.  No parking lot but there are lots of side streets South of the place to park on.  While they don't serve food, there are three restaurants right next door and they welcome you to bring it on in or have them deliver it to ya.  Oh and they have pretzels.

--Phil

I will be driving up on the 27th, hopefully I'll be there on time!

Hello everyone !

Im really excited to meet all of you who are interviewing on the 29th. I will be flying in from Florida arriving around 12:30pm and staying at the courtyard Marriott Midtown. There will be two beds in my room if anyone is in dire need of somewhere to stay.

I do not fly out until 7pm Thursday after the interviews if anyone wants to catch some football games ! Lol

Congrats all! I'm officially scheduled for Monday Oct. 3! Super excited!! I'll be flying down from Portland, OR and would love to meet up with any other interviewees the evening before to get some of the jitters out. Let me know if anyone is interested!

I was CASPA verified on June 26.

Abbie,

I too interview on October 3rd! I am thinking of attending the meet and greet with the first year students the night prior. Would you be able to attend? I think this will be a great opportunity for us candidates to mingle and alleviate some of the nerves. Let me know. Good luck to everyone.

Hi Mel. I have the same interview date. I look forward to meeting everyone!

Hi Mel and Natalie,

I am also scheduled for an October 3rd interview date. Looks like there are only a few of us (on the forum) attending Monday. I will most likely be attending the meet and greet the night prior, would love to meet you both! Good luck and see you soon :)

I had a great time meeting a bunch of you this evening; hopefully you were able to get something out of it and are more excited than nervous for tomorrow.  We'll be doing it again tomorrow evening 7pm at New Helvetia Brewing at 1730 Broadway in Sacramento.  Good luck to everyone having your "Visit Day" tomorrow morning, I'll see y'all at the Q&A session.

I had a great time meeting a bunch of you this evening; hopefully you were able to get something out of it and are more excited than nervous for tomorrow. We'll be doing it again tomorrow evening 7pm at New Helvetia Brewing at 1730 Broadway in Sacramento. Good luck to everyone having your "Visit Day" tomorrow morning, I'll see y'all at the Q&A session.

Hello! Do u know if basically all interview invites have been sent out? Thank you!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

I had a great time meeting a bunch of you this evening; hopefully you were able to get something out of it and are more excited than nervous for tomorrow. We'll be doing it again tomorrow evening 7pm at New Helvetia Brewing at 1730 Broadway in Sacramento. Good luck to everyone having your "Visit Day" tomorrow morning, I'll see y'all at the Q&A session.

Sounds like a great time!

How long did it go for last night? My flight gets in around 6:30 tonight and I'm wondering if I show up a little late that it will be ok.

Thanks!

Hi guys, 

can you please inform me where we will be meeting october 4th, my flight lands at 6:30  but will try my best to make it. 

Also can you guys please provide me with more details on the interview day. Other than the 2 minute speech how will we be evaluated. Is it based on the group activities. Lastly, can you please give me an example of the what the activities are like. 

Thank you so much for any help you can provide. 

Look forward to meeting everyone :D

Sounds like a great time!

How long did it go for last night? My flight gets in around 6:30 tonight and I'm wondering if I show up a little late that it will be ok.

Thanks!

I think we ended up around 8-9p. Anyone coming come on out back, grab food next door, grab a beer. I'm Bald guy in a bright green shirt. Very hard to miss.

Another fun evening, I had a great time talking with so many of you.  I'm sorry if I didn't get a chance to say hi to everyone, but I hope you had a chance to talk to a current student as well as some of the other applicants.  Good luck tomorrow!

For those of you coming next week, we will have three more meet ups:

Sunday Oct 2nd (for the Oct 3rd Candidate Day) 6:00 pm at Garden to Grill, 2315 K St Sacramento CA 95816.  Street parking. There is a large space in the back to take care of us, order at the counter.  Yes, it's vegetarian.  That's what you get when a vegan is in charge.  Everyone be sure to order something to support the local business taking care of us and say thank you to current PA student Cathy for making it happen.

Monday Oct 3rd (for the Oct 4th Candidate Day) 7:00pm at Lowbrau 1050 20th St, Sacramento, CA 95811.  Street parking.  There should be an area set aside for us, order at the bar.  A wide variety of foods and drinks.  Again, please order something to support local businesses supporting us supporting you.  Thank current PA student Ally for making it happen.

Tuesday Oct 4th I'll have the location and time for you hopefully tomorrow.

--Phil

For those of you that I spoke with, it was awesome meeting you all. I hope I was able to answer your questions well enough. Based on my initial impression, you all seem to have pretty great heads on your shoulders and I think you'll all make awesome clinicians.

Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Goodnight and goodluck tomorrow.

PS. I will probably swing by tomorrow around 12:30 to scavenge your leftover complementary breakfast food, so don't judge me for being a bagel vulture.

-Jason

Archived