2016-2017 Application Cycle -- UC Davis

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone know if the supplemental application essay's from last year were timed or not?

During the Candidate Visit Day, we were told that the supplemental applications will be sent out to selected applicants in early November and will be due by early December.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a current PA student at UC Davis.  Don't come here for the program.  If you come it's because there's good weather and class only 4 days a week.  It's good for a family life but that's it.  Good PAs come out of UCD but that's not because the program helped.  It's because they used to be a good school and they have a massive publicity campaign that attracts good students that make good PAs regardless of the program.  When 21 people out of 83 fail a test so the program decides to include the take-home pre-test in the score so it looks like only 5 people failed, there's serious problem with the teaching.  I'm pretty sure that's not even legal.  Don't come because you expect a cutting edge program that lets you use lots of technology because they don't.  The class size is too big for the resources.  The lectures are disjointed and disorganized and nothing is ever the programs fault.  If you complain it's brushed off as "this is grad school and it's just hard," but that's a serious cop out in this case.  Grad school is hard.  Been there, done that.  This doesn't apply to me or numerous other students here now. This program started failing when it left the school of medicine for the school of nursing.  We're the guinea pigs and it's only likely to get worse.  I should have gone to Northeastern.  My friends should have gone to Yale, or Rutgers, or numerous other programs that were their options.  We all bought into the lies the publicity told.  The old program that deserved the reputation is dead.

I'm a current PA student at UC Davis.  Don't come here for the program.  If you come it's because there's good weather and class only 4 days a week.  It's good for a family life but that's it.  Good PAs come out of UCD but that's not because the program helped.  It's because they used to be a good school and they have a massive publicity campaign that attracts good students that make good PAs regardless of the program.  When 21 people out of 83 fail a test so the program decides to include the take-home pre-test in the score so it looks like only 5 people failed, there's serious problem with the teaching.  I'm pretty sure that's not even legal.  Don't come because you expect a cutting edge program that lets you use lots of technology because they don't.  The class size is too big for the resources.  The lectures are disjointed and disorganized and nothing is ever the programs fault.  If you complain it's brushed off as "this is grad school and it's just hard," but that's a serious cop out in this case.  Grad school is hard.  Been there, done that.  This doesn't apply to me or numerous other students here now. This program started failing when it left the school of medicine for the school of nursing.  We're the guinea pigs and it's only likely to get worse.  I should have gone to Northeastern.  My friends should have gone to Yale, or Rutgers, or numerous other programs that were their options.  We all bought into the lies the publicity told.  The old program that deserved the reputation is dead.

Can any other current students comment on this? 

Hi y'all.  I wasn't going to respond to this as this thread doesn't need to become negative or a flame war.  But wisco did ask, so I'm going to put in a few thoughts.

First off, I'm not sure who posted this, but I'm sorry to y'all.  Although everyone is entitled to his or her own opinions, I find this to be pretty unprofessional and unbecoming of our school.  You shouldn't have to read one person's rant and this isn't the place for that person to vent his or her frustrations.

As i said, everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion, and I would never want to devalue someone of theirs.  I will, however, comment on what's been said.  Does UC Davis have a massive publicity program? Yes, it sure does.  And I haven't been let down by what they told us.  Faculty that care about us, yes, a focus on improving primary care in California? Yes.  I'm not sure what technological learning is being referred to, but I'm a fan of going to class every day.  When some programs are doing primarily online learning, I worry about that.  Go watch the video of our white coat ceremony, everything the students and faculty said has been true.

Is the class size big? Yes, we are at 82 students, but I'm not sure what resources we are being deprived of.  A whole new building is being created just for you and we just had a whole floor gutted and remodeled for us.  We have student run clinics we get to go to for practice.  In a sense, yes, we are guinea pigs in that we are the biggest cohort yet and the program is undergoing change.  But the good thing about being a guinea pig? They will listen to us.  Like I said, I would prefer this person had taken a better route and expressed his concerns to our faculty and staff rather than coming here.  If something is bothering one of us about the program, they will try to fix it.  But they cannot do much if they aren't aware of it.

Finally, I'll speak about the last test scores.  It was indeed a challenging exam.  However, it was a fair exam.  All the questions were covered in the lectures and presentations.  Additionally, we have all the referral resources we could want for free.  Uptodate, exam master, review books.  I wouldn't want to be in a program where everyone get's an A just so we can feel good about ourselves.  I want a challenge so I can be the best practitioner when I get out.

If my classmate regrets not going to a different school, I'm sorry.  However, the way he or she is expressing his or her own opinion brings our class down as a whole.  I'm happy here, I think y'all will be too.

I'm also a current student and have to speak up with regards to the above poster. I'm in the midst of studying for our Pulmonary exam next week so will keep this brief, but I'm very happy with my decision to come to Davis for PA school. I was choosing between Davis and another highly-ranked program and I do NOT regret my decision to come to Davis. No program is perfect. I agree that the class size may be too large for the resources when it comes to technology, and that the lectures (with the exception of Pharm, which is awesome,) are not the most organized. Yes, the program could use some improvements. So could any of the other PA programs across the country. I don't feel I was lied to or promised anything that hasn't been delivered. It may be a difference in expectations and priorities going into the program.

For me, the positives of this program far outweigh the inconveniences. Our professors are very accessible and care about our wellbeing and success, the school as a whole has a focus on student health and tons of resources that support students' physical and mental health (free yoga every day, meditation classes, lots of student interest groups, etc.) The NP/PA class is incredibly diverse (we have classmates from all over the world and this year's class speaks 27 languages between us) and the program has a real commitment to personal development, leadership, and social change. And of course, it's super helpful getting to study alongside all of our very experienced RNs in the class.

Everyone has different priorities for a PA program. Quality of life while in grad school is one of the most important factors for me. I'm happy at Davis and I've enjoyed living in Sacramento. There's a great community here. And yes, we do have class 4 days a week and it is California. I run, rock climb, and play music in my free time. I bike everywhere. And I've also learned a crazy amount of medical stuff in just the last 4 months that we've been in the program. We'll continue learning throughout didactic year and especially while on rotations.

Anyways. Could the program use improvements? Yes. Am I glad I chose to come to Davis for PA school? Yes. Just wanted to share a more positive experience from another current student to give any applicants basing their school decisions on things like this forum a more balanced view of the program.

I'm also a current student and have to speak up with regards to the above poster. I'm in the midst of studying for our Pulmonary exam next week so will keep this brief, but I'm very happy with my decision to come to Davis for PA school. I was choosing between Davis and another highly-ranked program and I do NOT regret my decision to come to Davis. No program is perfect. I agree that the class size may be too large for the resources when it comes to technology, and that the lectures (with the exception of Pharm, which is awesome,) are not the most organized. Yes, the program could use some improvements. So could any of the other PA programs across the country. I don't feel I was lied to or promised anything that hasn't been delivered. It may be a difference in expectations and priorities going into the program.

For me, the positives of this program far outweigh the inconveniences. Our professors are very accessible and care about our wellbeing and success, the school as a whole has a focus on student health and tons of resources that support students' physical and mental health (free yoga every day, meditation classes, lots of student interest groups, etc.) The NP/PA class is incredibly diverse (we have classmates from all over the world and this year's class speaks 27 languages between us) and the program has a real commitment to personal development, leadership, and social change. And of course, it's super helpful getting to study alongside all of our very experienced RNs in the class.

Everyone has different priorities for a PA program. Quality of life while in grad school is one of the most important factors for me. I'm happy at Davis and I've enjoyed living in Sacramento. There's a great community here. And yes, we do have class 4 days a week and it is California. I run, rock climb, and play music in my free time. I bike everywhere. And I've also learned a crazy amount of medical stuff in just the last 4 months that we've been in the program. We'll continue learning throughout didactic year and especially while on rotations.

Anyways. Could the program use improvements? Yes. Am I glad I chose to come to Davis for PA school? Yes. Just wanted to share a more positive experience from another current student to give any applicants basing their school decisions on things like this forum a more balanced view of the program.

Hi y'all.  I wasn't going to respond to this as this thread doesn't need to become negative or a flame war.  But wisco did ask, so I'm going to put in a few thoughts.

First off, I'm not sure who posted this, but I'm sorry to y'all.  Although everyone is entitled to his or her own opinions, I find this to be pretty unprofessional and unbecoming of our school.  You shouldn't have to read one person's rant and this isn't the place for that person to vent his or her frustrations.

As i said, everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion, and I would never want to devalue someone of theirs.  I will, however, comment on what's been said.  Does UC Davis have a massive publicity program? Yes, it sure does.  And I haven't been let down by what they told us.  Faculty that care about us, yes, a focus on improving primary care in California? Yes.  I'm not sure what technological learning is being referred to, but I'm a fan of going to class every day.  When some programs are doing primarily online learning, I worry about that.  Go watch the video of our white coat ceremony, everything the students and faculty said has been true.

Is the class size big? Yes, we are at 82 students, but I'm not sure what resources we are being deprived of.  A whole new building is being created just for you and we just had a whole floor gutted and remodeled for us.  We have student run clinics we get to go to for practice.  In a sense, yes, we are guinea pigs in that we are the biggest cohort yet and the program is undergoing change.  But the good thing about being a guinea pig? They will listen to us.  Like I said, I would prefer this person had taken a better route and expressed his concerns to our faculty and staff rather than coming here.  If something is bothering one of us about the program, they will try to fix it.  But they cannot do much if they aren't aware of it.

Finally, I'll speak about the last test scores.  It was indeed a challenging exam.  However, it was a fair exam.  All the questions were covered in the lectures and presentations.  Additionally, we have all the referral resources we could want for free.  Uptodate, exam master, review books.  I wouldn't want to be in a program where everyone get's an A just so we can feel good about ourselves.  I want a challenge so I can be the best practitioner when I get out.

If my classmate regrets not going to a different school, I'm sorry.  However, the way he or she is expressing his or her own opinion brings our class down as a whole.  I'm happy here, I think y'all will be too.

Thank you so much for your input @Saz0503 and @pswhite! I loved my day at UC Davis a few weeks ago and am glad these concerns are not the consensus.

Hi everyone!

I'm a second-year PA student in the UC Davis program and I was also a little disappointed to read the negative comments from one student above. However, everyone has a right to share their opinion. I'm currently in my clinical rotations and I will have a patient to see in a few minutes, so I can't go through a lengthy post right now. Anyways, I'm really happy with my experience overall in the UC Davis program and I think most students would agree. I think it's important that you reach out and get perspectives from as many current students as you can when you are considering a school. Do your research and find a program you think best fits your values and level of comfort.

With regards to your success in PA school, UCD provides everything you need to do well and succeed when you get into clinical practice. With that being said, it takes some work by the student to facilitate their own learning and seek help when they need it. Take some responsibility! Not every detail of medicine is going to be fed to you on a silver platter. Seek help from your classmates and faculty. I've always felt extremely supported by our wonderful faculty and I couldn't ask for a better group of students in my cohort to share this experience with. PA school is what you make it to be.

To the student above, I hope your experience turns around. You're only 4 months in! Keep your head up and try to look for some positive things in your experience. Continue to give feedback to the faculty and administration to make our program better. 

NO REGRETS HERE!

Hello everyone,

I'm a first year PA and had the opportunity to speak to all of you during the Visit Days. If you have been reading this forum's posts, please DO NOT PANIC. You may have read an alarming message from one of our current students regarding their aversion to the program. As the thread continued, other students from the program quickly jumped in to share their positive experiences. My own experiences have been excellent thus far, and I've thoroughly enjoyed my time here. Regardless of my own opinion, however, there are a few points that need to be made:

1. The upsetting post by the aforementioned student should have been communicated differently. I value their opinion and respect the concerns presented, but the message was very distasteful. The reason why I'm saying this is so that you'll understand that everyone has different experiences in this program, as in all facets of life. Just because someone is upset or frustrated with their current situation doesn't mean that they're a "complainer". I'm sure this person has very legitimate concerns about the program that may have affected their life. There will always be people that encounter the same situation as you, but see it through a different lens. This isn't the fault of one person or the other, but rather pertains to the way our personalities, morals, goals, and lifestyles have been shaped from our past. I don't mean to lecture, as I'm sure you've all seen this throughout your lives. In a long, round-about way I'm trying to say that everyone has unique opinions. Don't disregard them, but don't let an opinion change the way you think, either.

2. I am very happy that I decided to come to Davis, and have thoroughly enjoyed my experience. I feel that I will be a competent and qualified PA when I finish this program. My opinions do not represent everyone's in my class, but I feel comfortable saying that I believe they represent the majority of students. Before you begin any program, any job, or any big endeavor in life, understand what you are getting into. Know the benefits and risks of the situation, and apply those factors to your individual situation. I try and make decisions in a very logical way, eliminating emotion if possible. Logically, I was convinced and still believe that I made an excellent decision choosing this school. It is my opinion as it pertains to my life. Yours may vary. I only ask that you keep an open mind and be open to change. It's essential in this program and, more importantly, in this profession.

Hello! I’m a 2nd year student at UCD. I wanted to chime in with my opinion of the program. While I understand that the program has its flaws, I can say that being in clinical rotations now, the program did a great job in preparing me for rotations during didactic year. Through the lectures, OSCEs, clinical skills labs, and the student run clinics, I feel like I was well prepared for rotations. Sure, I don't know every diagnosis yet, but I accept that medicine is an art and a skill that will be developed over years of practicing. I also believe UCD has provided me with so much opportunity, such as to work as a Co-Director of the student run clinics alongside medical students, attend amazing conferences, and to network with a variety healthcare professionals. I’ve spoken to many PA students from other schools and every school has their flaws. It’s just the nature of PA school--it’s impossible to teach everything you need to know within one year of didactic! So my advice to the student who is struggling: there is a light at the end of the tunnel; you will be amazed at how much you can recall later on and a test does not define you and your abilities to be an great clinician. PANCE prep books, UpToDate, Google, textbooks, classmates, and faculty are all fantastic resources to help you survive in PA school. Try not to be discouraged!

Hey everyone, 

I'm also a 1st year at UCD and as a couple of my classmates have already mentioned above, it is unfortunate that our classmate had to vent their frustrations about the program in an anonymous way to the future students. I can assure you that this one negative opinion does not represent the rest of the 81 students in our class. 

One thing I did want to point out is what they had said about "This program started failing when it left the school of medicine for the school of nursing". This is completely untrue. When the program was under the school of medicine we were treated as the unwanted adopted child of the school. The focus wasn't on the PAs but rather the medical students. The school of nursing undertook the responsibility and allowed our program to become a Master's. The faculty and staff here are fully committed to our learning and our well being and constantly ask us to provide feedback to make this program better. I couldn't be more happy with the support that we have here. 

Grad school isn't meant to be easy and neither is medicine. But UC Davis has provided us with all the resources I could imagine (and more!) to add to our learning experience. I am completely happy with my choice of coming to UC Davis and continue to be excited about the program.

2nd year Davis PA student here. Just wanted to jump on and say how incredibly proud I am to read through the responses to these negative comments. UC Davis is an excellent program and has many benefits to offer, but one of the most important is the type of student this program attracts. PA school is hard, no matter where you end up, and being surrounded by students like pswhite, Future_pa2018, helloPA, chrispac09, BRUWIN13, and Saz0503 have made this a better experience than I could have ever imagined. Having support from your faculty and classmates is essential to surviving PA school, and I think the responsiveness, dedication, compassion and positivity these individuals express speaks way more to the character of this program than any negative comments could. 

Go Aggies!

Hi everyone,

First off congrats to everyone that got interviews at UCDavis! I remember how nerve racking it was to be in your position and you should be proud of how far you've come already! Interviews are physically and emotionally exhausting but try and enjoy this time because you will miss it once you're all accepted into a great PA program somewhere.

Now with that said I would like to also address what a classmate of mine said regarding the program. I am also a 1st year PA student at UCDavis. First, I want to apologize to all the applicants that had to read his rant and personally I'm pretty embarrassed that he represented our class in such a negative way on this forum. Please understand that this is not the feeling of the MAJORITY of the class. Out of 81 students I personally think about 5 truly feel this way. Yes the program is not perfect. Yes sometimes lectures are disorganized and at times it does feel like the program is too big for its resources. With all that said I would still, with no doubt in my mind, have chosen this program. 

So here are the things I love about the program, at UCDavis you are completely immersed in medicine. A lot of other programs I interviewed at (5 to be exact) had the PA program at a completely separate, secluded area on its own. They have the nicest facility out of any school I interviewed at. The simulation labs are incredible here and although yes we don't use them as often as I hoped we would, we can request access to them on our own time. The school truly cares about our well being. They provide us with all the resources we need to succeed not just academically. They have yoga, meditation, etc. Our program is so incredibly diverse. Like another student mentioned we speak 27 languages as a cohort. They LISTEN to our concerns and CARE what we have to say. We always have access to our advisors, professors, etc. 

To the student who posted the negative comment regarding the program, like the saying goes "hind sight is always 20/20" and that applies to all aspects of life, including graduate school. When things get hard the easier thing to do is blame someone or something and think "what if". You are entitled to your opinion and I'm sorry you are so frustrated especially since a lot of us are so happy here. I wish you would have presented your opinion in a more professional way and mentioned that its your opinion not the cohorts. 

To all the future PA students, enjoy your year off before you start PA school. Don't worry about getting prepared or ahead, you will all be on the same page once you start. Good luck to you all. 

To all,

I am currently a first year PA student at UC Davis, and want to say congrats to all the people that received an interview. It's hard to believe that a year ago I was where you are currently; extremely nervous, scared that I would have to wait another year, and completely uncertain about my future. The application process alone is harder than any program you will be accepted to because it makes you completely and undeniably vulnerable. Putting yourself out there and showing each program who you are deserves a huge pat on the back.

I don't believe the negative comment listed above is an accurate depiction of the consensus of the cohort as a whole. I believe that the majority of the cohort, myself included, believe that choosing UC Davis was wholeheardedly the best decision I have made thus far in my academic career. I interviewed at multiple schools, UC Davis being my first interview, and throughout the remainder of my other interviews, I remember constantly comparing these schools to Davis, and after receiving my acceptance, I was thrilled to finally make my formal acceptance to the program.

I want to point out that with this process, as well as anything in life, it comes with pros and cons. EVERY program will have pros and every program will have cons. That's life, and this program does have its quirks. Sometimes it's disorganized, sometimes I feel like I'm overwhelmed with schedule changes, and sometimes I feel frustrated; however, I have never felt that I could not express these concerns to the amazingly helpful staff and not be heard. This program listens to the students frustrations and genuinely listen. Why? Because they want to make this program better and even more successful. To me, this shows the true character of the program. I want a program that listens to my classmates and I, accepts its flaws, and works on them. Healthcare is constantly evolving and demands flexibility, and I'm glad I chose a program that understands this, and wants to continuously evolve and better itself.

I want to share my experience thus far, and tell you why I chose UC Davis. UC Davis accepted me last December, and there was something appealing to me that a program knew they wanted me to be a part of their 2018 class. They never once gave me the run around. Plain and simple they said we want you, we think you will contribute to this cohort, and we think you would benefit from this program. All the other programs I interviewed with lacked communication and I felt I was continuously reaching out even after acceptance to other programs.

UC Davis facilities are truly unprecedented. I have never seen a more beautiful campus, state of the art simulation lab, or more sim dummies. Even though our classroom wasn't ready this summer, we are now in an interactive class room completely renovated for us, and this incoming class will have an amazing new building to thrive in.

I love the fact that UC Davis teaches NPs and PAs together. This is where healthcare should and needs to go. Healthcare is meant to be a team based sport because it facilitates what is best for the patient. UC Davis always stresses the patient, and I can't imagine not being a part of this pave the way mentality. It also stresses a primary care approach, which is what I'm ultimately interested in; however, they provide opportunities for you to keep an open mind and to explore other areas.

Finally, UC Davis truly picks diverse and well-qualified applicants. I am constantly learning something new, not just with medicine, but about cultures, geographical location, and traditions. Everyone has unique backgrounds that are helpful in different areas. I have never felt like I was drowning in information because somewhere, someone in the class has experience and is willing to help.

I will continuously defend my decision to attend UC Davis. There will be days where I'm frustrated, over whelmed, and home-sick; however, with any challenging endeavor comes hardship. This program is not easy, and any other program will not be either. This is a strenuous and demanding profession, and ultimately I find solstice in knowing that I will become a PA at such a prestigious institution.

I hope you take the aforementioned negative comment with a grain of salt. My advice is to enjoy your time prior to beginning school. Travel, spend time with your family (this will help in the future when you try and explain to your mom why you've ignored her calls for 3 days because you have an upcoming pulmonary exam), drink some beers with friends, and don't worry about too much preparation before all of this. They will get everyone on the same page and build a strong foundation prior to introducing you to medicine. Good luck in the rest of the process!

In regards to this post let me start out by saying that some of this is not true and also heavily exaggerated.  I am a current 2nd-year student in the UC Davis PA program and currently on clinical rotations.  I have no regrets about coming to this program.  I went through some personal problems while in the program and the faculty and staff worked with me every step of the way and I personally they are behind us students 100% and have nothing but our best interests in mind.  I have seen the changes made by faculty based on student feedback.  The faculty and staff work very hard, take student feedback seriously and will implement changes to improve the program for the next cohort.  I disagree with this person and don't believe it's going to get worse.  It is true that this program is going trough some growing pains. The UC Davis PA program has been around for a long time and training NP's and PA's together is a new concept and we're the only program doing it.  With any new curriculum there's going to be some bumps in the road and growing pains.  I knew that coming in and didn't expect everything to be perfect.  Classes vary every quarter, when I started it was 8AM-5PM five days a week. Then the next quarter was only 4-days a week.  Then we went back to five days a week so your first point is completely inaccurate. The class schedule varies and is dependent on many different variables I can't even begin to imagine that the faculty have to navigate.  Is it going to be challenge to meet the needs of an 83-person cohort rather than a 30-40 person cohort?  No doubt, but the faculty are up for the challenge.  I don't this person knows or appreciates how hard our faculty work behind the scenes.  I agree that we didn't use the sim lab or technology and that was one of the selling points of the program. However the current simulation lab is owned by the school of medicine and the medical school has priority over it's time.  That is why the School of Nursing has invested in it's own building with it's own SIM lab so future students this will be a reality.  The summer of 2017 school of Nursing will have it's own space.  As you can see the School of Nursing is planning on making it better so it's definitely not going to get worse.  Maybe they could have waited before expanding class size to 80-90 students but I don't pretend to know the logistics of running a PA program.  Future students, this is still a good school it's just going through some changes.  As students you have to learn to change and adapt to whichever environment you go into.  This isn't just grad school.  We're not getting a Master's in business or some administration Master's degree.  This is medicine and information comes at you fast and in high volume.  I can find students unhappy in other programs. I have friends that went to Stanford and various other programs that complained how they ran.  This program isn't perfect and there definitely is always room for improvement.  If you have some good ideas of how this program could improve bring those ideas to the faculty.  If you just complain and are negative the whole time you're gonna have a hard time.  This program is what you make it and you take from it what you want.  I have learned a lot and I am still learning much much more.  You don't know why others are struggling in this program.  Maybe they're going through a divorce, maybe their father is sick and dying.  Who knows why 21 out of 83 people in this cohort didn't pass their last exam.  75% of them did pass.  As a cohort you should come together and help each other.  If others are failing help them...tutor them...if you are failing ask those who are successful how they are passing.  How they study etc...I as a second year student am happy to speak to any of the first year students to give advice. I've survived the first year of this program already.  It's why we have the Big/Little program.  Reach out to your big, if they don't respond ask another 2nd year student.  I see where this person is coming from. Many of us felt this way too when we first started but then we figured it out.  No the Davis program is not perfect, however I think you can go to any program and find things to complain about. There are plenty of resources here to help you succeed plus it is what you make it. We felt we didn't get enough suturing practice, phlebotomy practice, or IV practice.  The school did not provide much time in sim lab to practice those skills.  So did we complain? No we reached out to each other in the cohort and taught each other and held our own workshops. Former Nurses and Paramedics taught us IV's and EKG's. We reached out to 3rd year med students to come our workshops to teach us suturing or had those in our class who were good at it teach us. Former phlebotomist and lab techs helped teach how to do blood draws.  The beauty of being in a PA classroom is that everybody comes from different backgrounds and you have each other.  Where the school lacks or goes through information too fast you have each other to lean on...organize your own independent workshops or talks on specific subjects.  

Archived