Morphine and low BP

Completely hypothetical situation. You have a patient with advanced and incurable, chronic disease that causes pain. Their BP always runs low (systolic of 90s). They are a full code and in pain but BP at that time is 80s. Otherwise cognition and sats are unchanged.

What is your threshold for holding morphine in these settings? How low of BP will you tolerate for giving morphine (Specitifally what MAP if any)? Their pain is fully legitamite. Thoughts?

• Administrator
Any thought toward Butrans?

Butrans is not readily titratable, and WILL interfere with other pain meds--by design, really.  I only use it for stable chronic pain.  Patients hate it because it costs them so much. Never considered what effect it might have on lowering BP in the inpatient setting, because that's not the population I work with.

Emed why the change from morphine to fentanyl? Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't morphine have a longer half life and peak concentration? Anecdotally have you noticed any higher risk to the airway with fentanyl? Are your RNs comfortable giving it?

In the ER I used fentanyl for procedures (eg I and D in sensitive area) but otherwise have stuck to morphine or dilaudid for acute medical pain.

What kind of doses are you using? I believe equivalency is about 10:1? I do use the patch at times. But am not terribly familiar with IV do sing outside of procedures. I agree it's much more titrable than morphine and can also be used at sedating doses for procedures. What made you decide to switch over?

so many folks get nauseated with MS and it just seems to have a rougher side effect profile than fentanyl. 100 mcg of fentanyl is about the same as 10 mg of ms or 1.25 mg of dilaudid so dose accordingly. most adults in real pain I give 75-100 mcg of fentanyl. different places I work prefer different analgesics and stock accordingly. at my primary job we mainly use dilaudid. at my rural jobs we tend to use fentanyl. nurses have no problem giving it for pain. if I use it with lots of benzos they start asking me about sedation paperwork unless I clearly document for pain/for anxiety.

Is BP drop from morphine due to some kind of vasodilatory effect or is the drop due to pain relief?

Morphine > morphine metabolites > histamine and NO-mediated vasodilation > hypotension.  Giving a combination of an H1+H2 blocker can theoretically help, but if someone's pressure is at the point where this is even an issue then it's probably best to use another agent if possible.  Pain control itself can certainly help with BP/HR though.

• 3 weeks later...

For low BP's, I use fentanyl too...as for short half life, if you can get the really ugly part of the pain issue under control, the person will relax enough to switch to something to deal with that nagging left over stuff.  Depending on age, I might actually go to MS, but I tend to like Dilaudid in older folks because it makes them a little less goofy.  If they're at the point to tolerate PO stuff, I'll give something by known effects and age for the person, day of the week and moon phase AISF.

SK

Has there been much movement in y'alls ERs towards the use of ketamine for pain control? I know it is gaining popularity in the EMS realm, but from that perspective it is especially a good one to carry because it's multipurpose drug. Also, unlike the narcotics it's not a schedule 2 so the increasingly strict DEA rules shouldn't effect it's use standing order for paramedics.

Use of ketamine in EMS makes sense since paramedics usually have limited scope and carry few drugs to begin with.  We used ketamine like it was going out of style in Afghanistan for all the trauma we saw.  Typically carried morphine, fentanyl, versed, and ketamine along with induction agents for RSI.  I definitely think ketamine has its place if people are trained to use it.  A friend of mine was shot a few times and he was given ketamine and made us all promise to never give it to him again if he got hurt, he had super bad tripping episodes on it.  

I've gone to using fentanyl more and more as well, especially in the elderly where it's easy to give too much of a narcotic. In patients with borderline BPs, it is also good for pain relief, because as E said, it doesn't have as much of an effect on their BP.

Morphine is a good drug in those that don't have lots of side effects, but the side effect profile can make some people very ill, and I completely understand why they wouldn't want to take it

Archived