Interview Tips

Guest OnBelay

Hi everyone! I have my first ever interview coming up and am trying to figure out what to wear. I decided on wearing a pant suit. I bought one from banana republic but could not find the matching jacket to it. Is it necessary to wear the matching jacket or could I just wear a long sleeve blouse tucked in?

Also, I believe wearing low heels might look more professional but I almost never wear heels so is it fine to wear flats with pants? I imagine it looking strange and that flats will look better with a skirt. 

Please help, thank you!

Just wanted to add that some schools want you to write an essay. I had a surprise essay with a random question: Do you think social security should cover all senior citizan's healthcare costs? Should limits be set? And how should it be founded?

haha, I don't know anything about social security so that was a fun essay to write.

If that was the question, it was a trick question. Social security is a supplemental retirement program with very different rules from Medicare which covers senior healthcare (age 65 and over.) Both programs are funded from payroll taxes, however congress spends all the money every year and increases the obligation which is why both programs are in big trouble and will soon be adding to the national debt. Hint: If you give something away for free people will want more of it.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX using Tapatalk 2

• Upvote 2

Guest MedLib42

Hi everyone! I have my first ever interview coming up and am trying to figure out what to wear. I decided on wearing a pant suit so that I could possibly look more mature. I bought one from banana republic but could not find the matching jacket to it. Is it necessary to wear the matching jacket or could I just wear a long sleeve blouse tucked in?

Also, I believe wearing low heels might look more professional but I almost never wear heels so is it fine to wear flats with pants? I imagine it looking strange and that flats will look better with a skirt. 

Please help, thank you!

Yes, you definitely need the matching jacket - going without it at an event like an interview is typically considered too casual or unprofessional. Flats might be OK, depending on how they look. If the pants still hit around or a little below the ankle, but don't drag on the ground or obscure too much of the foot, they might work. Typically, though, you're right - low heels might be better. If you're worried about it, spend a couple of days walking around in your new heels before the interview (that's what I did - I hate heels, so I never wear them, but wore low heels to all of my interviews).

When I picked out my suit at Banana Republic, I had the same problem. I found the pants, but not the matching jacket. I asked the store associate if there was any way to find the matching jacket somewhere, and they special ordered it for me and had it shipped directly to me the next day, no charge. So you might contact the store you bought the pants from and see if that's an option.

Hi.  I am preparing for several upcoming interviews and was curious if anyone can answer approximately how many questions you are typically asked in a 20-minute interview?  Also, if you have two different sessions with different interviewers, is there likely to be overlap or has the committee already sorted that out in advance?  Thanks for the help!

Guest MedLib42

Hi.  I am preparing for several upcoming interviews and was curious if anyone can answer approximately how many questions you are typically asked in a 20-minute interview?  Also, if you have two different sessions with different interviewers, is there likely to be overlap or has the committee already sorted that out in advance?  Thanks for the help!

Depends on the type of questions they're asking - some require short answers and they might get ten (or more) questions in. Others, like scenario-based questions, may require longer answers, and you might end up chatting back and forth with the interviewer about them for a few minutes, so you might get somewhere between five and ten. I had one interview where I was asked almost 20 questions in 20 minutes, and another where I think I was only asked six or seven. So it's really going to depend. As far as overlap, no, most ADCOMs specifically structure the individual interviews so the format and type of question asked is different for each individual you interview with.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone! I have a few interviews coming up and I am preparing as much as I can! One question I am stuck on however is:

Are you familiar with any state or federal regulations for PA's? (I am interviewing in Florida and New York)

I have looked on the AAPA and FAPA website but I don't have access to the state specific laws and regulations page. I have a broad range of information but there is so much of it I'm not sure how in depth I should go...any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Guest MedLib42

Hi everyone! I have a few interviews coming up and I am preparing as much as I can! One question I am stuck on however is:

Are you familiar with any state or federal regulations for PA's? (I am interviewing in Florida and New York)

I have looked on the AAPA and FAPA website but I don't have access to the state specific laws and regulations page. I have a broad range of information but there is so much of it I'm not sure how in depth I should go...any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

I spent a decent bit of time looking up state and federal regulations when I went to interviews too, but never got asked questions about them. I hear some schools do, though. 

AAPA restricts their content to members only, but FAPA doesn't (for most of it anyway) - you should be able to get access to information on the statutes and scope of practice for FL PAs. In case for some reason you can't get in, here are the two docs off of their site that should be most helpful to you, particularly the first link. The second link is a bit more lengthy, I would briefly skim what's written in blue:

http://www.fapaonline.org/files/NP_PA_comparison_chart-practice_guidelines-Mixon-201304.pdf

http://www.fapaonline.org/pdf/Florida_Statutes_2006.pdf

As far as NY, I'd look at these two links: 

https://www.health.ny.gov/professionals/doctors/conduct/physician_assistant.htm

http://www.nysspa.org/node/4

I don't think they'll ask anything too in depth. I'd be generally familiar with some of the major things you are not allowed to do, and maybe some of the more recent changing legislation. One major point to look over might be the prescribing of scheduled narcotics, as this varies state to state. I doubt they'd ask you about CME and certification/licensing requirements, but knowing some basics there might not hurt.

Any thoughts on what to wear to the pre-interview reception? The dress say business casual, so I was wondering if it was more okay to wear something with more personality than the conservative garb for the actual interview day. Nothing inappropriate! No boobies or cooter hanging out! But if I wanted to wear my favorite dress (floral and modest) because it's fun and makes me happy and comfortable, would that be frowned upon?

Guest MedLib42

Any thoughts on what to wear to the pre-interview reception? The dress say business casual, so I was wondering if it was more okay to wear something with more personality than the conservative garb for the actual interview day. Nothing inappropriate! No boobies or cooter hanging out! But if I wanted to wear my favorite dress (floral and modest) because it's fun and makes me happy and comfortable, would that be frowned upon?

Depends - if it's too loud, bright, or busy, I'd say no. If it's something you'd feel comfortable wearing in a business casual corporate office environment, it's probably OK. Business casual to me usually means skirt, dress pants, or khakis and a nice blouse, button down, or sweater; conservative dresses can work too, but loud colors and patterns, or those that might be construed as too casual, should probably be avoided.

I was under the impression I should not bring anything to the interview except my personal form of ID. Is it necessary to bring documents if they have all already been uploaded to the application?

I had classes in progress when I applied that I'd finished before my interview; I brought a copy of my unofficial transcripts and it was perfect to have when they asked me about the classes (they hadn't officially requested I bring it to the interview).  It was nice also having the pad of paper to write in, and I had questions written out in there that I wanted to make sure I got answered

I was under the impression I should not bring anything to the interview except my personal form of ID. Is it necessary to bring documents if they have all already been uploaded to the application?

Most people at the interviews I've been to would bring a portfolio with a pad of paper in it to take notes as well as carry any documents. I always brought a copy of my CASPA application, resume, and transcripts, just in case. I would also bring a purse everytime to carry my personal effects. Most other girls would do the same, though there were some male interviewees who brought nothing at all. It's really up to personal preference. I always liked being able to take notes and have a place to file away any handouts given to me throughout the day. Definitely not necessary, unless the program specifies that you bring a particular document with you on the day of the interview :)

• Upvote 1

Hey! I have gone to three interview so far. Each school had similar interview. First they give us an introduction and welcome to the school. Then they separated us on groups, each group went with different PA students. Then, depending on each individual schedule and time, we went to have our individual interview. They asked me between 5-10 questions and they did tend to overlap on some of the questions. I did talk about different things and I had a great time talking to them about me and what I have done. They do have a script that they need to follow and they are very strict with the time, so try to stay focus and make a good first impression. 

Some questions that I remember being asked:

-Tell us about your self (Interviewers have not seen your application, they don't know you GPA, or any information about you). What experience have you had?

-Define a PA and why you want to become one

-If you would chose another medical profession, which one would it be and why?

-Why did you decide to apply to this program (Please read everything about the schools that you are about to interview)

-What have you done for the community

-How would you deal with stressful situations? For example, you fail a test and there is no way to make it up, you won't get kicked out of the program but there's nothing else to do. 

-What do you do for fun?

-Why are PA in such demand?

- Ethical question: a specific situation in which you need to explain what you would do. For example: you have two patients, your attendee is out of town and there was an accident in which two patients who you havederly very nice elderly woman, they are both in the same pain, and if you don't help them right away, the one you don't help will die. Who would you help first? (I hated this question more than anything!!!!!! )

Read the book of "How to ACE the PA interview," it really helped me prepare and there wasn't any question that I have not read about before. 

Also, please dress formal like suit and tie. Most of the men that I saw at the interview were nicely dressed. On the women side, I did notice some differences. A girl sitting next to me had black nail polish!! ??@@!! I felt bad for her! Another one had a dress too tight and too short, with a lot of accessories. I would recommend to be as conservative as possible. Based on things I read, they mostly say that you need to show the less skin possible, so be careful and dress appropriate with a nice suit. 

• Upvote 2

I would recommend to wear a suit! I went to 3 interviews and almost everyone had a suit on. Men: suit and tie. Women: suit with pants or skirt (nothing above the knee). I really did not see anybody wearing a dress, and most people wore black/navy or conservative colors. If it was me, I would rather be dressed like everyone else with a suit, but it is up to you. You can feel comfortable in a nice suit, with short heels. Also, you do not get denied from the program because of how you dressed! Best of luck! 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question.  The email for my interview says friends/family are welcome to accompany you.  I had planned on having my mom drive me and be able to see the school during the tour, etc. (obviously not come into the interview)  but I've read a few comments on here saying that's a major sign of "helicopter mom" and such a bad idea.  I just wanted her to be able to see the school and be a part of an important day for me since she's my biggest supporter.  Is this a bad idea?

• Upvote 1