Interview Tips

Guest OnBelay

Men

●     Suit, preferably a solid color such as dark grey or navy (avoid black since for men it tends to be too formal in an interview)
●     Dress shoes
●     Dark socks (should blend in with pant color)
●     Belt (should match shoe color)
●     Tie
●     Long sleeve shirt (coordinated with suit and tie)
●     Nice watch, cufflinks, and/or a tie clip (choose one)
●     Trimmed fingernails
●     No cologne (in case someone has allergies)
●     Portfolio or briefcase

Women

●     Suit, preferably a solid color such as navy, dark grey, or black (women can wear black for interviews without it looking too formal, but it’s only recommended if it works for your skin tone)
●     Conservative shoes
●     Nice blouse (coordinated with suit)
●     Simple jewelry
●     Light makeup
●     No perfume (in case someone is allergic)
●     Neatly manicured nails
●     Portfolio or briefcase (in place of a purse)

It’s also important to note that a professional hairstyle is a must for both men and women. It should be neat and professional -- for men, this might mean a fresh haircut or a small amount of styling gel in their hair; for women, keeping your hair off your face is imperative to eliminate distraction. I would suggest wearing glasses, just in case your contacts give you a problem IMHO.

Although you should look as professional as possible, you also need to be comfortable in your interview attire. Prior to interview day, be sure to try on your outfit to ensure it fits well. If it needs adjustment, take it to a tailor so you won’t end up tugging on it throughout the interview.

Confidence during your interview is an important part of appearing professional and capable. By choosing the right clothing and accessories, your outfit can help you feel more confident about yourself and make a great impression!

And the BIG thing is to remind me of all this when it is my turn and I ask you ALL the same question. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I've searched this thread and can't seem to find an answer to my question. Can someone explain to me what an HMO is and if it is good or bad for PAs? Or could someone point me to a good resource so I can research this further? From what I understand, HMOs provide managed care and help keep health care costs down. Thanks! 

• 3 weeks later...
LADIES:

The suit:

Choose conservative colors such as black, navy, in a flattering cut that is properly fitted.
The fabric should be gabardine, a firm hard-finished. Durable fabric such as light wool, or rayon. Jacket should match skirt/pants.
Suit should be a solid color, subtle pinstripes, or hound’s-tooth pattern.
A business dress, worn with a jacket, or a tailored pantsuit are acceptable in less formal work environments.
Skirt is more conservative & formal, more widely accepted. Don't forget a slip if needed and an extra pair of pantyhose for those runs when you least expect it.
Avoid wearing trendy lapels or buttons.
Make sure the skirt length is just at knee or right below the knee.

The Blouse:

Wear a neutral color such as white or beige; avoid bright colors and large prints. Cotton or silk. No lace.
Long sleeved, collared blouse is more conservative.
Shell tops are appropriate but less formal.
Do NOT wear a low-cut, see-through, or tight-fighting blouse.
  • Upvote 2

I interviewed a week ago and was just accepted today. My advice is wear a suit that is anything but navy or black. Trust me, you'll interview with 40 people and 38 of them will be in black or dark blue. Try to talk to as many of the faculty as your possibly can and leave a positive impression. It gets difficult when the interviews start because they are busy conducting interviews (obviously). Try to get acquainted either before or wait til the interviews are done to introduce yourself.

Every school asks you why you want to be a P.A. and more importantly why you want to attend their school. Do research on the school. See what type of practice their school focuses on, even what type of classes you'll take once you get in. I had an interviewer ask me what I thought would be the hardest class if I was accepted. This should be the easiest question to answer once you visit their website (high PANCE pass rate, they offer medical spanish, small class size, chance to do research, etc.) Basically this question is asking you what do you know about their school. This is a major opportunity for bonus points.

Seriously try to relax.  It's ok to be a little nervous, everybody is. Just take a deep breath and try to settle in.

They love to ask questions like how do you handle stress and what do you do when have to work with someone who you don't see eye to eye with. Think about ethical situations and how you would handle them (you see a doctor drinking before surgery, you have a Jehovah's Witness that needs blood but you know religiously they can't accept it, etc.)

Think about why you want to be a P.A. and not an M.D. I said because I want to practice primary care medicine and can do that as a P.A. which is true. I don't want to rack up med school loans when I can be out and practicing in a fraction of the cost and time (better worded of course).

Always have questions for them at the end of the interview. This is the best opportunity to show them you are interested and intrigued with their school and as well as the P.A. profession. Ask them why they chose to teach, how long they practiced before teaching, do the professors still practice, what type of practice did they do, why they think they're PANCE pass rates are so high, etc.

It's true when they say you interview from the time you walk in the building to the time you leave the parking lot. Always have a smile on your face and be upbeat, energetic, and courteous to those around you. Enjoy yourself and ask questions throughout the day not just in your interview.  If you've made it to the interview, they know you will be a good student. Try to show them you are also a good person. They want students that are going to get along with each other as well as the faculty. Be humble, stay interested, and most importantly be you!

• Upvote 6

Do any of you have a great book to read prior to my interview?  I don't mean a book that talks about interviewing or anything like that.  Just a really good book.  Could be fic or non-fic.  I like reading books about struggles and taking on challenges in life.  Any recommendations would be appreciated.  Thanks! 

• Upvote 1

Do any of you have a great book to read prior to my interview? I don't mean a book that talks about interviewing or anything like that. Just a really good book. Could be fic or non-fic. I like reading books about struggles and taking on challenges in life. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

Read "Night" by Elie Wiesel (sorry if misspelled). One of the books that left a huge impression on me...I will never forget it.

• Upvote 2

Do any of you have a great book to read prior to my interview?  I don't mean a book that talks about interviewing or anything like that.  Just a really good book.  Could be fic or non-fic.  I like reading books about struggles and taking on challenges in life.  Any recommendations would be appreciated.  Thanks! 

I agree Night is a fantastic book. One of my all-time favorites is Molokai by Alan Brennert. Its a story about a little girl who has leprosy. It's a great read! Also, The Book Thief is a good one.

I interviewed a week ago and was just accepted today. My advice is wear a suit that is anything but navy or black. Trust me, you'll interview with 40 people and 38 of them will be in black or dark blue. Try to talk to as many of the faculty as your possibly can and leave a positive impression. It gets difficult when the interviews start because they are busy conducting interviews (obviously). Try to get acquainted either before or wait til the interviews are done to introduce yourself.

Every school asks you why you want to be a P.A. and more importantly why you want to attend their school. Do research on the school. See what type of practice their school focuses on, even what type of classes you'll take once you get in. I had an interviewer ask me what I thought would be the hardest class if I was accepted. This should be the easiest question to answer once you visit their website (high PANCE pass rate, they offer medical spanish, small class size, chance to do research, etc.) Basically this question is asking you what do you know about their school. This is a major opportunity for bonus points.

Seriously try to relax.  It's ok to be a little nervous, everybody is. Just take a deep breath and try to settle in.

They love to ask questions like how do you handle stress and what do you do when have to work with someone who you don't see eye to eye with. Think about ethical situations and how you would handle them (you see a doctor drinking before surgery, you have a Jehovah's Witness that needs blood but you know religiously they can't accept it, etc.)

Think about why you want to be a P.A. and not an M.D. I said because I want to practice primary care medicine and can do that as a P.A. which is true. I don't want to rack up med school loans when I can be out and practicing in a fraction of the cost and time (better worded of course).

Always have questions for them at the end of the interview. This is the best opportunity to show them you are interested and intrigued with their school and as well as the P.A. profession. Ask them why they chose to teach, how long they practiced before teaching, do the professors still practice, what type of practice did they do, why they think they're PANCE pass rates are so high, etc.

It's true when they say you interview from the time you walk in the building to the time you leave the parking lot. Always have a smile on your face and be upbeat, energetic, and courteous to those around you. Enjoy yourself and ask questions throughout the day not just in your interview.  If you've made it to the interview, they know you will be a good student. Try to show them you are also a good person. They want students that are going to get along with each other as well as the faculty. Be humble, stay interested, and most importantly be you!

Hi Gillz,

Congrats on your acceptance!  May  I ask what school you have been accepted to?  Also, thanks for the suggestions regarding interviewing, that is great and super helpful.  I am patiently waiting to hear about an interview...the wait is killing me!

Thanks again.

Hi Gillz,

Congrats on your acceptance!  May  I ask what school you have been accepted to?  Also, thanks for the suggestions regarding interviewing, that is great and super helpful.  I am patiently waiting to hear about an interview...the wait is killing me!

Thanks again.

Interviewed at University of St. Francis in Albuquerque and Texas Tech HSC in Midland and was accepted to both. You're welcome, I'm glad I could help.

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd leave some notes on interviews since I went to so freaking many of them!

Firstly, interviews can actually be pretty fun, so honest to god please don't get yourself too worked up over them! I know how ridiculous that sounds, but you'll be surprised.

However, if you're like me, and the idea of an interview is anxiety-inducing, and you laughed when I said that interviews are actually fun, I strongly recommend coming into that anxiogenic situation with some mental ammunition. In the months before interviewing, work on cementing in your mind a very calming thought or memory. Whenever, in those months, you get the least bit anxious, recall that thought to calm you down. Your body will get used to the anxiolytic response like one of Pavlov's dogs if you do it enough, and it will come in handy when your nerves start to rattle you in the interview.

Secondly, when you get to the interview, absolutely do go to a pre-interview dinner or get-together hosted by the school if there is one. It's so much more comfortable to walk into the interview rooms in the morning and see some familiar faces! Plus you get to talk with the current students and get the inside scoop on many important things. Some schools don't do those, though, so don't worry about it if not. Regardless of pre-interview dinners, focus on talking with the other interviewees as SOON as you get in there! Make friends, joke around, break the ice, and you'll find yourself calming down. Just don't anyone mention their stats. It's not the time or place...but you can always discuss it over drinks after the interviews are all over, if you want! I went out for drinks with several of my fellow interviewees afterward, shared cabs, had a great time. Definitely definitely view the other people interviewing with you as friends, comrades and future classmates, NOT competition. Plus, the interviewers are really always watching, and when you show that you can be friendly, pleasant, and really make others feel comfortable in a stressful situation, they NOTICE. :D Which is good news for you, because you, reader, are likely really good at being a fun and pleasant person.

For attire: Wear a conservative black or navy suit. SUIT. WITH SUIT JACKET. A REAL GROWNUP SUIT. And definitely black or navy...maybe grey if it's a very subdued grey. No brown, no tweed, no khaki, and certainly not baby pink (!!! yes i witnessed it, it was super awkward). It very much gives the wrong impression to be inappropriately dressed to an interview, makes you stick out in the not-so-good-way, and will make you very uncomfortable because you'll quickly realize your gaffe. Gentlemen, wear a tie, shine your shoes, make your father proud (but don't wear his suit) and take out any thrilling earrings or whatnot. Again, you can wear some color, but keep it subdued and classy. 

For ladies, I recommend you wear a pantsuit. People on this forum seem to stress that you should wear a skirt or dress, but...seriously, no, you really don't, that's wrong (and also it's a little sexist. feminine professionalism?? what does that even mean?) There's nothing wrong with wearing a skirt! But if you wear a skirt you have to wear hose and be careful with length and tightness and...it's too much of a distraction. Don't let any part of your wardrobe be a distraction: when you're in that interview, you need to focus! Don't wear an uncomfortable or ill-fitting suit. Ladies, wear small heels in a neutral color and a lightweight but opaque shirt (again, neutral color recommended) that is not anywhere close to low-cut. It doesn't need to be collared or long-sleeved, you're not a waiter or a flight attendant. Wear your hair however you want, as long as it's not going to distract you or distract your interviewer from you. Personally, I wore a navy pantsuit with a high-neck, sleeveless white top with a tasteful print. I wore my hair in a low ponytail, and my only jewelry was small stud diamond earrings and necklace-- enough to accent you, not enough to draw the eye. Makeup, again, should be light-- foundation, light and natural blush/bronzer, nude eyeshadow, easy on the eyeliner, etc. (think bobbi brown, not urban decay)

You can bring a purse, a folio, a clutch, or nothing. I had to bring my luggage to an interview on a few occasions and it was totally fine (read: i got into those schools). 

As for prepping for the actual interview, I recommend knowing your application in and out and using the huge wealth of resources that are out there...for med school interviews! If you're prepped for a med school interview, you're going to rock the PA school interview. I've talked with other interviewees who've had great things to say about PA interview prep books, (and who went on to get into top schools) so if you're into that, give them a read. I didn't encounter any exams in all the interviews I went to, but I did encounter a few essays. You can't prep for them, so literally don't worry about it until you're presented with one. There's no need to bring your interviewer your resume or application or anything, they've got it all. 

Oh, and be able to speak intelligently about the affordable care act. And when I say intelligently, I don't mean politically: you have no idea what the politics of your interviewer will be! Just know the facts and how PAs will be affected.

• Upvote 9

• 2 months later...

Hey guys! Need some advice... I'm having troubles with my interviews and I don't know where I'm going wrong.

This is my first year applying to PA school, very committed to the profession. I applied to 7 different schools, I've interviewed at 5 of them already with one more interview in 3 weeks. I think that illustrates that my application was solid. I have a 3.76 GPA, 3.8 science GPA, biochem major with 2500 hours of direct patient care as an MA.

Honestly, before I interviewed this year, I was sure I would get accepted to multiple schools. However, after interviewing, I was rejected by 2 schools right off, and I'm wait listed pretty far down on the other 3 programs. I've worked hard to improve my interview skills and feel like I've covered all my bases but I still can't get accepted anywhere. Does anyone have any pointers or tips that you think might be the key to successfully interviewing? Thanks

Hey guys! Need some advice... I'm having troubles with my interviews and I don't know where I'm going wrong.

This is my first year applying to PA school, very committed to the profession. I applied to 7 different schools, I've interviewed at 5 of them already with one more interview in 3 weeks. I think that illustrates that my application was solid. I have a 3.76 GPA, 3.8 science GPA, biochem major with 2500 hours of direct patient care as an MA.

Honestly, before I interviewed this year, I was sure I would get accepted to multiple schools. However, after interviewing, I was rejected by 2 schools right off, and I'm wait listed pretty far down on the other 3 programs. I've worked hard to improve my interview skills and feel like I've covered all my bases but I still can't get accepted anywhere. Does anyone have any pointers or tips that you think might be the key to successfully interviewing? Thanks

Do you know specifics of the schools you are applying to? Their faculty, mission statements, goals, specifics of the program. Are you personable, pleasant, smiling? Have you rehearsed you answears, and if you have do you sound like a tape or does it actually sound spontaneous? Do you show the schools you are interested by asking questions at the end of the interview?

Lastly, try Rodican's book how to ACE a PA interview. It helps, i think.

@patachok

Yeah, I researched as much as possible about every program weeks in advance of each interview, I try to be pleasant and smile... Obviously my smile might break sometimes due to being nervous, but I try my best. I rehearse the material of my answers but not word for word, just trying to get the ideas across... I also ask two or three real net questions at the end of each interview. And I bought that book actually. Love it and I feel like it helped, but at a few interviews after reading it, I still haven't gotten in.

One thing I don't do is research the faculty very much prior to the interview. Does that help a lot? Maybe I'll try it. I'll need to make sure my answers sound genuine and not rehearsed too. I just feel like you gotta be absolutely flawless to get accepted. It sucks... Thanks for the advice though

@patachok

Yeah, I researched as much as possible about every program weeks in advance of each interview, I try to be pleasant and smile... Obviously my smile might break sometimes due to being nervous, but I try my best. I rehearse the material of my answers but not word for word, just trying to get the ideas across... I also ask two or three real net questions at the end of each interview. And I bought that book actually. Love it and I feel like it helped, but at a few interviews after reading it, I still haven't gotten in.

One thing I don't do is research the faculty very much prior to the interview. Does that help a lot? Maybe I'll try it. I'll need to make sure my answers sound genuine and not rehearsed too. I just feel like you gotta be absolutely flawless to get accepted. It sucks... Thanks for the advice though

Nobody is flawless, do not get hanged up on it. And just remember if you were invited to the interview, the ADCOM thought you were good enough! Have you tried a mock interview? I did one with my professors at school, found it extremely helpful and a big boost in confidence. Also, did you get feedback back from the programs you did interrview? Have you been waitlisted?

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought I'd leave some notes on interviews since I went to so freaking many of them!

Firstly, interviews can actually be pretty fun, so honest to god please don't get yourself too worked up over them! I know how ridiculous that sounds, but you'll be surprised.

However, if you're like me, and the idea of an interview is anxiety-inducing, and you laughed when I said that interviews are actually fun, I strongly recommend coming into that anxiogenic situation with some mental ammunition. In the months before interviewing, work on cementing in your mind a very calming thought or memory. Whenever, in those months, you get the least bit anxious, recall that thought to calm you down. Your body will get used to the anxiolytic response like one of Pavlov's dogs if you do it enough, and it will come in handy when your nerves start to rattle you in the interview.

Secondly, when you get to the interview, absolutely do go to a pre-interview dinner or get-together hosted by the school if there is one. It's so much more comfortable to walk into the interview rooms in the morning and see some familiar faces! Plus you get to talk with the current students and get the inside scoop on many important things. Some schools don't do those, though, so don't worry about it if not. Regardless of pre-interview dinners, focus on talking with the other interviewees as SOON as you get in there! Make friends, joke around, break the ice, and you'll find yourself calming down. Just don't anyone mention their stats. It's not the time or place...but you can always discuss it over drinks after the interviews are all over, if you want! I went out for drinks with several of my fellow interviewees afterward, shared cabs, had a great time. Definitely definitely view the other people interviewing with you as friends, comrades and future classmates, NOT competition. Plus, the interviewers are really always watching, and when you show that you can be friendly, pleasant, and really make others feel comfortable in a stressful situation, they NOTICE. :D Which is good news for you, because you, reader, are likely really good at being a fun and pleasant person.

For attire: Wear a conservative black or navy suit. SUIT. WITH SUIT JACKET. A REAL GROWNUP SUIT. And definitely black or navy...maybe grey if it's a very subdued grey. No brown, no tweed, no khaki, and certainly not baby pink (!!! yes i witnessed it, it was super awkward). It very much gives the wrong impression to be inappropriately dressed to an interview, makes you stick out in the not-so-good-way, and will make you very uncomfortable because you'll quickly realize your gaffe. Gentlemen, wear a tie, shine your shoes, make your father proud (but don't wear his suit) and take out any thrilling earrings or whatnot. Again, you can wear some color, but keep it subdued and classy.

For ladies, I recommend you wear a pantsuit. People on this forum seem to stress that you should wear a skirt or dress, but...seriously, no, you really don't, that's wrong (and also it's a little sexist. feminine professionalism?? what does that even mean?) There's nothing wrong with wearing a skirt! But if you wear a skirt you have to wear hose and be careful with length and tightness and...it's too much of a distraction. Don't let any part of your wardrobe be a distraction: when you're in that interview, you need to focus! Don't wear an uncomfortable or ill-fitting suit. Ladies, wear small heels in a neutral color and a lightweight but opaque shirt (again, neutral color recommended) that is not anywhere close to low-cut. It doesn't need to be collared or long-sleeved, you're not a waiter or a flight attendant. Wear your hair however you want, as long as it's not going to distract you or distract your interviewer from you. Personally, I wore a navy pantsuit with a high-neck, sleeveless white top with a tasteful print. I wore my hair in a low ponytail, and my only jewelry was small stud diamond earrings and necklace-- enough to accent you, not enough to draw the eye. Makeup, again, should be light-- foundation, light and natural blush/bronzer, nude eyeshadow, easy on the eyeliner, etc. (think bobbi brown, not urban decay)

You can bring a purse, a folio, a clutch, or nothing. I had to bring my luggage to an interview on a few occasions and it was totally fine (read: i got into those schools).

As for prepping for the actual interview, I recommend knowing your application in and out and using the huge wealth of resources that are out there...for med school interviews! If you're prepped for a med school interview, you're going to rock the PA school interview. I've talked with other interviewees who've had great things to say about PA interview prep books, (and who went on to get into top schools) so if you're into that, give them a read. I didn't encounter any exams in all the interviews I went to, but I did encounter a few essays. You can't prep for them, so literally don't worry about it until you're presented with one. There's no need to bring your interviewer your resume or application or anything, they've got it all.

Oh, and be able to speak intelligently about the affordable care act. And when I say intelligently, I don't mean politically: you have no idea what the politics of your interviewer will be! Just know the facts and how PAs will be affected.

Which questions did they ask you about the ACA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Hi what should I bring to the interview, a resume, a transcript ect?

I brought both in a leather portfolio and never had the request nor inclination to pull them out during interviews. If they have your CASPA file, it's essentially both anyway.

Can't hurt to have them, just don't worry if they don't ask for them.

Sent from the Satellite of Love using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to know how it would be perceived to reschedule an interview invitation? I'm surely willing to sacrifice anything to be at the interviews but I see a lot of schools I'm applying to begin their interviews around September and my parents will be renewing their vows for 30 years out of the country one weekend in September.. If I were to get an interview for that weekend how badly would it look for me to ask to change dates being that I'm in their wedding.. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk