Interview Tips

Guest OnBelay

Can anyone share some insight into what the group interview looks like? I really don't know what to expect for that. Thanks!

It is different for different programs. I had three group interviews, of three applicants each, over the course of the day. Different applicants each time so you met six new people just via interviewing. The questions were directed to a different person each round so that the same person didn't have to always answer first. Name of the game is to say just enough but not blather on. Can't be terse or sparse with words but don't wanna be a motormouth. DO NOT repeat what the other person said, even if they were rock solid. Gotta think on your feet and say something like "I really like what Steve had to say about that situation. Only thing I could maybe add (or take away from) would be xyz..." Give credit to the other smart guy in the room but don't be a complete lemming. Also be prepared for the interviewer to say "Steve, what did you think of Frank's answer?" This means you need to not only be thinking about your own answer to the question but also listen to what the others are saying and process it.

I have heard legend of a school doing a group interview where all the students where placed in a room with a camera and told to elect one person to be allowed into the program. Meaning, you had to sell yourself really well, but also listen to others sell themselves... that would be a nightmare to be in, but fun to watch :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! So I have been offered my very first interview invite! I am so excited and sooooo nervous! It is just 3 weeks away!!!! After talking with some students who went there, they said the main part of the interview that is weighted the most is the panel interview with 3 PAs. I know they will obviously ask: tell me about yourself. What is a PA? and Why do you want to be a PA? Now these questions sound easy and I do have real and honest answers for each of them, but I am having trouble organizing my thoughts so my explanations and reasoning doesn't sound like a nervous jumbled mess, or some cliche textbook answer. Here are my answers/questions:

#1 Tell me about yourself: Since they already have my PS, and that says a ton about myself, how to I summarize/add anything?? Do I need to reiterate where I am from, how I got into healthcare, and why I am pursuing the PA profession. Or, should I just focus on what I am currently doing, where I work, and my plans for PA school???? Sorry I feel like I am over-analyzing this, but I don't want to screw up on the 3 first questions! haha

#2 What is a PA? Should I give a semi-textbook answer and then add my personal view of what a PA is? For example: A PA is midlevel provider that works with his/her supervising physician and can diagnose, treat illnesses, and prescribe medication. The PA profession was created to help with the shortage of physicians and to make healthcare more accessible. PAs are extremely important in healthcare as they shorten patient wait time and increase overall patient volumes and scheduling flexibility. The PAs that I work with are knowledgeable and compassionate providers that work with their supervising physician to offer exceptional healthcare services in an affordable and accessible way.

Then transition into why I want to be a PA.....

#3 Why do you want to be a PA: Since the PA profession was created for those who have healthcare experience, I like how I will be able to integrate my current knowledge and skills as a cardiac ultrasound tech into my future practice as a PA. PA training will give me the knowledge and tools I need to broaden my scope of practice and be more directly involved in my patients' care. The lateral mobility of the PA profession is also appealing since I will be able to practice in primary care and pursue my passion of working with the underserved and IHS, but I may also have the opportunity to specialize in Cardiology and incorporate my prior healthcare experience even more.

Medgirl,

Congratulations on your interview! As far as the questions you've asked, I think you're really letting your nervousness get the best of you. My piece of advice would be to take a few deep breaths and personally celebrate your current accolades. As far as your individual questions:

#1: You're correct in that they have just about every piece of information about you, unless it's part of the personal interview in which case they don't have your completed application in front of them. Either way, this question allows the admissions committee members a chance to see you formulate an intelligent and precise answer. There isn't really any correct answer, but I started off a bit about where I've come from in terms of academically and professionally. I made sure to highlight the exact moment in my life where I was made aware of what a PA was and when I wanted to dedicate my life to the career field. Additionally, I used this question to highlight some areas of my life that have no place on a professional school application (I've been playing guitar for 18 years, a perfect day to me is taking in a few innings of a baseball game at a local tavern with a group of friends discussing current events, etc). I had a somewhat prepared draft of my answer to this question, but during the heat of the moment, I made sure I incorporated what I felt were the most pertinent details and just winged the rest of this question. My biggest concern was I didn't want to ramble on and come off like I was full of myself.

#2: Your answer is perfect, and will be more than likely plagiarized by future PA student applicants :)

#3: Once again, I think this is a great answer to the question. It shows you have an in depth knowledge of the profession, that you're not using PA school as a backup to medical school, and that you have matured in your current healthcare position and are ready for the next step in your professional career.

My only other piece of advice would be to brush up on the school your interviewing at (history, mission statement, answers to questions that are frequently asked, etc). Good luck!

Thanks Beattie!! I really appreciate your encouragement! You are right, my nerves are getting the best of me! haha, I just want to nail this and land a seat! I know 200% without a doubt becoming a PA is exactly what I want to do the rest of my life, and this the school I want to attend, and the only one I applied to. Their mission and goals of educating PAs for our rural region is exactly aligns with want I want to do---work in our rural community! All I can do is give it my best shot and hope for the best, knowing I gave it my all. :)

P.s. Soooo in the "tell me about yourself" question, it might be difficult to not include what a PA is and why I want to be a PA. I might have to include those things like you mentioned. So I will probably answer all 3 questions just by talking about myself. Hopefully that isn't a bad thing....

Edited by medgirl91

This is a question for all the ladies that interviewed before: I know that skirt and dress suits are preferred over pants suits, so I has a few questions. Does everything has to be plain? For example if it's a dress suit (dress + blazer), can the dress have two colors and not be just plain black/gray/blue? Can it be two-toned? Can it have stripes on it for instance? Also, should the length be below the knee/at the knee/just above the knee? I'm starting to think I should just wear a pant suit because this is getting more complicated than it should be. :/ Please help! Thank you in advance!

My advice for men is to buy a non black suit. I went with a lightly pinstriped gray suit, cap toed shoes, tailored white shirt, and a purple/lavender box pattern tie and looked very professional. Several people on the admissions committee complimented my dress so I knew I stuck out which is definitely important when you're competing against so much talent. There were a lot of people there in the standard JCPenney blue shirt/blue tie/black suit combo and it just didn't look good. Take some time to pick out a combination that works nicely with your suit and is clearly not a combo package.

Edited by SackulaRK10
Spelling

i've only interviewed once so far, but there was a pretty even mixture of women in skirt suits and pant suits. i personally would stick to something dark, conservative, fairly plain, and with a skirt that hits at or below the knee. the women in skirt suits at my interview were either plain black or grey. one girl wore a cute silk dressy non-collared top under her blazer (with a skirt), which was good because another girl wore the exact same suit but with a white dress shirt under. :) jewelry was very minimal on everyone.

you may be able to go with something less black/grey/blue if the material is right. i've seen some nice tan or beige suits, and i've heard of one person who wore a cream suit so she would stand out against all the darks. make sure it looks nice, is pressed and fits well.

i ended up wearing a pant suit because i also didn't want to mess with the skirt/dress/nylons issue. i also didn't want to have to constantly be worried about how i was sitting, etc. i have a few more interviews and i plan on wearing pant suits to those as well. i did wear a light pink shirt with my black suit so that something about me was different and memorable, but still professional. best of luck to you!!!

This is a question for all the ladies that interviewed before: I know that skirt and dress suits are preferred over pants suits, so I has a few questions. Does everything has to be plain? For example if it's a dress suit (dress + blazer), can the dress have two colors and not be just plain black/gray/blue? Can it be two-toned? Can it have stripes on it for instance? Also, should the length be below the knee/at the knee/just above the knee? I'm starting to think I should just wear a pant suit because this is getting more complicated than it should be. :/ Please help! Thank you in advance!
  • Upvote 1

@Valeevad-

I think wearing whatever makes you the most confident and comfortable is what you should wear. If that means a well-tailored black suit then so be it, but I don't think that it's a bad thing to wear color. i was at an interview where a girl wore a bright red suitcoat, at my last interview I wore a green dress under my black suitcoat, and was complimented by the director of admissions for not wearing all black.

I dont think it's taboo at all to wear a little color (I've also read suggestions of wearing a scarf around your neck or large jewelry too- just something a little different.).

as long as you look professional, I think you should wear what makes you feel the most confident-

• Upvote 1

@ rileygrl,

Wow, thank you SO much! Your comment really made me feel less self-conscious about my dress!!! The only reason I had doubts was because of all the "strict rules" I thought I had to follow. I know that it is for sure conservative, but I wanted to know other people's opinions as well since they've been through this process before. I feel confident it in. Thank you again!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has any input on how to answer the following interview questions:

1. What are three things you want to change about yourself?

2. What do you think about HMO's and the changes taking place in medicine?

I know they should be our own opinion, but I am having a hard time with #1.

Any input would help. Thanks!

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has any input on how to answer the following interview questions:

1. What are three things you want to change about yourself?

2. What do you think about HMO's and the changes taking place in medicine?

I know they should be our own opinion, but I am having a hard time with #1.

Any input would help. Thanks!

#1...you're right...How do I know what you want to change about yourself? Your hair? Maybe you'd like to be a better public speaker? Maybe more apt to respond to on the spot questions? Less nervous? There are some things you have to think about ahead of time, and there are others that you have to have quick wit for. If it were me, I'd pick 2 serious, 1 less serious, because after all, I'm human...and some light humor can go a long way. "And the third thing I would change...would probably be my fishing abilities...It's never fair that I can out-fish anyone I go with."

Valeevad...I was incorrect. The Health Maintenance Organization Act was passed in 1973. I was off by almost 2 decades. The current buzz word that I am hearing in health care is the "patient centered primary care home" which is sort of like a "one stop shopping center" for medical care.

The dangers of walking down the road talking about the changes taking place in medicine is that the applicant would have to be savvy of what the status quo is, what it was, and where it is headed to fully debate the changes. It's a very broad and potentially deep question that can suck up time worse than this internet. An AdCom doesn't have the time, nor energy, to get into the world of discussing the business side of medicine with each of their interviewees. AdComs want to know "can this kid hack the rigors of the program and pass the boards" and if they can, "is this a person I wouldn't mind working with in an office some day?"

I think reading over some Cliff Notes on the Affordable Care Act, breezing through some current copies of the AAPA journals, AAFP, JAMA, and the like to get an idea what is being talked about in medicine is a good idea but I wouldn't go crazy deep into the details. Interviews are about you as a person. Your transcripts have already shown what you know...they want to know YOU as the person.

so i 've talked to a LOT of people about what to wear for the interview and honestly i got all the same answers: as long as you look professional and conservative thats all that matters. I am wearing a dress and a blazer over because the dress is short sleeved. Make sure the length of the skirt is at knee or just above the knee level and blouse is long sleeved and you will be good to go! ;) if it makes you more comfortable, you should go with that.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I know we've discussed about the dress topic a lot on this thread, but I am having trouble finding the answer to my silly question:

Does my shirt have to be a collared shirt? I had the expectation that these interviews are absolutely strict/conservative on what we wear, but at my first interview I noticed many women wore non-collared shirts. Does it make a bad impression on the adcoms? I'd prefer to go find a non-collared shirt because the collared ones make me feel like I'm choking!

@okadam.. I think that blouses are fine as long as they are conservative. Personally, I was going to wear a collared shirt because I just wanted to be as professional as possible, but I look so boxy. I think I am going to try and find a blouse that is more feminine but still conservative.

Also, I have not really seen this being mentioned, but what types of purses/bags are acceptable to bring? I am flying into one of my interviews the morning of and leaving right after and not sure if I should just wear my interview gear on the plane. Though its a 1 1/2 hour flight, I don't want my clothes to get wrinkled, but don't want to walk into the interview with a huge bag either.... Any thoughts/experience with this?

Hi everyone.

I want to thank everyone for posting such great tips. I have a question to ask about my upcoming interview. I'm a Canadian applicant and I applied to two schools in Michigan. I did get an interview with my top choice school. I know that I have to prepare for questions about current issues with PA's and also current issues in the healthcare system of the country. I did read about the Affordable Healthcare Act and got an idea about that. I did learn about the different medical insurance systems in the USA (medicare, medicaid, private insurance, etc.)

My question is: knowing from my personal statement and application that I'm from Canada, would I be expected to know far more details about the healthcare system and current issues in the US? Also, I was wondering if I should be prepared to answer any questions regarding the role of PA's in Canada (just in case it gets brought up during the interview?)

Hi I had an interview Friday at University of Pitt. There were 9 stations: one had picture of a leg and I had to fill in all the bones and muscles; picture of liver-list parts; PA over nurse prac.; what would i do if i hit my neighbor's dog?; discuss how to put on gloves.;

I did well. could not have done any better. No questions about the debate. 4 to 6 week wait. Another interview on Wed. Good bless all.

Hi I had an interview Friday at University of Pitt. There were 9 stations: one had picture of a leg and I had to fill in all the bones and muscles; picture of liver-list parts; PA over nurse prac.; what would i do if i hit my neighbor's dog?; discuss how to put on gloves.;

I did well. could not have done any better. No questions about the debate. 4 to 6 week wait. Another interview on Wed. Good bless all.

they interviewed you on medical knowledge? that's weird i thought that schools don't interview you on knowledge....