Interview Tips

Guest OnBelay

SoulPA13,

I think its best to be honest and upfront, do not make excuses.  Take responsibility for your past grades and turn it into a positive (I.e you are a more mature and driven individual).  Make them see your motivation and reassure them it will not happen again (i.e use your post-bacc grades to support your newly accomplished abilities as a student).  Have faith in your-self and the admissions committee will too. They have already looked past your grades by inviting you to an interview, they just want to see your maturity and ability to take responsibility in my opinion. I hope this helps:)

Good luck on your interview!

That definitely helps! Thank you for providing such a motivational response! You're absolutely right in that I should be honest and take responsibility for what happened, but then explain what I have learned from making those mistakes and how I have become a more driven and dedicated student. Thank you again for the advice :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Just wanted to add that some schools want you to write an essay. I had a surprise essay with a random question: Do you think social security should cover all senior citizan's healthcare costs? Should limits be set? And how should it be founded?

haha, I don't know anything about social security so that was a fun essay to write.[/quote

What school was this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

A few things I noticed other interviewees did during almost all of my interviews which I'm surprised happened so often: 

1. When you shake an interviewers hand (or anyone), look them in the eye and smile. It shows confidence, and makes a good impression. 

2. During the interview, don't look down while you answer. Look at your interviewer, and if there are multiple make it a point to look and speak to each one during your answer. 

3. Please, never take out your phone during an interview. Even if you're just in a room with current students for a Q&A, don't do it. There's a good chance they have a say in your evaluation.

None of these are going to push you over the top to be accepted, but they can definitely work against you. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a big fan of being yourself.  The faculty do not want to hear rehearsed statements and "I really want to help under served populations."  Obviously, like others have written, its important to be confident (without being cocky), be personable and make eye contact, and do not touch your phone the entire time!! Even if you have down time.  Make conversation with other interviewees and current students.

The most important thing to remember is they already like you based on your stats.  You do not have to spew your application back to them.  They want to make sure you are able to converse professionally, work as a member of a team, and have some humility.  I truly believe the group activities are a huge part of the decision making.  Everyone panics and wants to get their say in.  Just remember to be professional, non-confrontational, and include everyone.

One last comment.  Everyone is nervous and the faculty knows this.  Don't sweat it.  Just take a deep breath and be yourself.  

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Hi!
I am 6 months pregnant and will be 7 months at the time of my first interview. I have recently purchased a pair of dress pants and a modest sweater to wear along with a nice pair of dress shoes. I was wondering whether this was too casual for my interview. Finding a pant/skirt dress suit is near impossible pregnant. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
On January 6, 2011 at 11:59 AM, Just Steve said:

The interview panel has decided via your application that you have what it takes to get through the school. What they want to do is to like you. They want to see if you are the person that they want on their team, that they want representing their practice, that you are a guy they can count on. They want to know that they would feel comfortable coming to work everyday knowing they get to work with you.

Steve

Man, I don't know if you're still on here at all but I just want to say this is extremely motivating. I just want to give you a quick thank you. 

• Upvote 1