Interview Tips

Guest OnBelay

Does anybody have any tips on how to act/participate in a group scenario? We had a group debate in a recent interview (a group of us all sat and debated ethical questions and topics), and I don't think I did too well. How do I interject and participate without talking over other people? Any thoughts on how often to talk/when to be quiet?

Hi! I also had a group activity for my interview at the beginning of the year. I think it's important to let your voice be heard, but to also exhibit listening skills. I made sure I spoke confidently and I brought ideas to the table, however I made it a point to be interested in what my peers were saying as well. Don't be afraid to speak up; at the same time, don't let it be that your voice is the only one being heard. I hope this helps :)

• Upvote 1

Hi! I also had a group activity for my interview at the beginning of the year. I think it's important to let your voice be heard, but to also exhibit listening skills. I made sure I spoke confidently and I brought ideas to the table, however I made it a point to be interested in what my peers were saying as well. Don't be afraid to speak up; at the same time, don't let it be that your voice is the only one being heard. I hope this helps :)

Thanks for the advice! I think that my biggest issue was figuring out how to insert myself into the conversation without cutting others off. Everybody else was pretty "rapid fire" with their responses, but I felt like I was either silent or interrupting each time I talked. 

• Upvote 1

My recommendation (and take it with a grain of salt as I have not experienced first hand with a PA school yet), but find someone is going to give you some honest feedback (interviewing, grades etc). I am sure this has been said already (and forgive me if it has, but I have not read ALL 29 pages), but interview with a pre-med counselor or another adviser, someone can give YOU (yes you who is reading this) some objective opinions. You need someone who will give you some brutally honest truth. They will be the best at giving you good questions and critiquing your performance in interviewing. Don’t waste your time practicing with somebody like your friends or significant other who will sugar coat things for you. You need someone who will be HONEST with YOU. YOU need to know what you are getting yourself into. You need to know if YOU are capable of doing this and no one know YOU better than YOU. WE can't tell you, we don't you. WE can't tell you if YOU have the best grades. The best thing can you can do for yourself is look at yourself in the mirror and ask,

1.   Can I handle the rigors of didactics/clinicals and the real world?

2.   Will I be able to handle the workload once out of school? 

3.   Will I fit in here?

If you can answer YES to all these then CONGRATS I wish you the best and you can wish me the best when it's my turn. l66wR3T.gif

PS I am NOT saying I know everything, but I have been around the block and have experienced the real world (and sometimes life isn't fair) just don't fair). 

• 4 weeks later...

I know people say to not be political during your interviews. But how can you not be political if they ask you your thoughts about abortion or the ACA/healthcare reform? I understand there's a diplomatic way of answering these questions but I guess I'm just wondering how much to delve into these questions. Also, what is the best way to discuss a bad grade? If they ask you for something you found challenging should you bring it up then? Should you only bring it up if they ask you specifically about it? I'm struggling to come up with a good answer to this question as I did pretty poorly in Orgo two times and it's a required pre-req class of the school I have an interview for.

First post here-

I have a short to medium length beard.  It is very neatly kept.  Does anyone think I need to shave it?  Or will it help me stand out in interviewers' memories?

I think it's fine as long as it's neatly trimmed. Don't know if it will make you stand out. When I interviewed students with my professors, we'd remembered the ones who were personable and gave thoughtful, sincere answers. 

I know people say to not be political during your interviews. But how can you not be political if they ask you your thoughts about abortion or the ACA/healthcare reform? I understand there's a diplomatic way of answering these questions but I guess I'm just wondering how much to delve into these questions. Also, what is the best way to discuss a bad grade? If they ask you for something you found challenging should you bring it up then? Should you only bring it up if they ask you specifically about it? I'm struggling to come up with a good answer to this question as I did pretty poorly in Orgo two times and it's a required pre-req class of the school I have an interview for.

Was never asked about politics, but I'd say keep it concise and give 2-3 good reasons on why you support your side without putting anyone down. I'd only bring up talking about a bad grade if they ask. Usually if you're there for the interview, they already looked past your GPA/grades. I remember during one of my interviews,  for some reason, I talked about my C in sociology. I think I talked about how terrible I was at remembering names of all the sociologists and memorizing theories/conceptual stuff, etc. Eventually, one of the interviewers laughed and said "trust me, sociology won't matter in PA school!"  

I'm having an internal struggle that I am hoping to get some advise with.  I received two interview invitations to schools on the opposite sides of the country that are back to back days. Although this is a great problem to have, I don't know if it is wise to go to both.  The school I am more interested in is the 2nd day, so on the one hand it would be good to get some interview experience in but would it be too much stress to do all of that traveling and mentally taxing? Plus what if the only program that I get in to is the school on the first day?? This is my second year applying so I am very eager to go to every interview and put forth every effort I can. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. 

I'm having an internal struggle that I am hoping to get some advise with.  I received two interview invitations to schools on the opposite sides of the country that are back to back days. Although this is a great problem to have, I don't know if it is wise to go to both.  The school I am more interested in is the 2nd day, so on the one hand it would be good to get some interview experience in but would it be too much stress to do all of that traveling and mentally taxing? Plus what if the only program that I get in to is the school on the first day?? This is my second year applying so I am very eager to go to every interview and put forth every effort I can. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. 

I would contact the school less interested in and let you know you have a scheduling conflict and if you could change your interview date. These things happen all of the time and the schools are very understanding of it. If that doesn't work, it can be done. Work your flight schedule as best you can to give yourself the most amount of down time. I did this a few weeks ago with no downtime. I came home for about 12 hours before flying out again to my second interview. Was it ideal? No, but I made it work and I don't think it affected me negatively at all. Just think, this is an incredible opportunity and it will only be a little over 24 hours total. You will be tired but you can get through it. Interviews are what you make of them, I had a blast with mine just don't stress yourself out too much. If the fights allow it, go for it. Sleep well before your first interview, sleep on your cross country flight, sleep for a few hours when you get to the hotel the night before your second and you will be fine. When all else fails, coffee. Also keep in mind you will need extra dress clothes with the short turnaround time. 

• Upvote 1

I would contact the school less interested in and let you know you have a scheduling conflict and if you could change your interview date. These things happen all of the time and the schools are very understanding of it. If that doesn't work, it can be done. Work your flight schedule as best you can to give yourself the most amount of down time. I did this a few weeks ago with no downtime. I came home for about 12 hours before flying out again to my second interview. Was it ideal? No, but I made it work and I don't think it affected me negatively at all. Just think, this is an incredible opportunity and it will only be a little over 24 hours total. You will be tired but you can get through it. Interviews are what you make of them, I had a blast with mine just don't stress yourself out too much. If the fights allow it, go for it. Sleep well before your first interview, sleep on your cross country flight, sleep for a few hours when you get to the hotel the night before your second and you will be fine. When all else fails, coffee. Also keep in mind you will need extra dress clothes with the short turnaround time. 

Thanks jpshoe!  I really appreciate the feedback and the words of encouragement!  Good luck in your PA endeavors! 

I don't know if anyone asked this question before but...

Is it okay to have one of your parents with you on your interview day or should I go alone? I'm 21 and it would be really nice if my dad came with me but I don't want to seem like a child. 

Any feedback towards this would be great!!

During the interviews I went on, I saw a few parents dropping people off, but none were present during the interviews.  Most candidates actually walked in a lone. Going in alone shows independence, and it allows you to make conversation with other candidates. Personally, I do not think bringing a parent is the best idea.  

• Upvote 1

I don't know if anyone asked this question before but...

Is it okay to have one of your parents with you on your interview day or should I go alone? I'm 21 and it would be really nice if my dad came with me but I don't want to seem like a child.

Any feedback towards this would be great!!

I don't think this is a good idea. Younger candidates are already fighting an uphill battle in convincing some that they are mature and ready to be healthcare providers, so having a parent present would only make that harder on you.

• Upvote 1

It's not just a matter of good protocol, if you are ready for PA school, you should be ready to do this on your own. Parents can become a real crutch. I say that as a parent with 26 years experience. When my daughter went for her interviews, we didn't even (seriously) consider accompanying her because we wanted her to go as an adult; not as our child. This is your time and you need to do it alone.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

...we wanted her to go as an adult; not as our child. This is your time and you need to do it alone.

Maybe it's a mentality thing...my first day of college I saw a whole bunch of freshmen being dropped off by their parents....I told my mom to stay home because "I gottt thisss."

• Upvote 1

It's not just a matter of good protocol, if you are ready for PA school, you should be ready to do this on your own. Parents can become a real crutch. I say that as a parent with 26 years experience. When my daughter went for her interviews, we didn't even (seriously) consider accompanying her because we wanted her to go as an adult; not as our child. This is your time and you need to do it alone.

I mean no disrespect Johnny, but then why are you still here? I don't see any other parents on here. I think your daughter has already been accepted to PA school. I assume both of you and her found the answers, so I don't get it? I think it's time to cut the umbilical cord 92RFFNw.gif

I mean no disrespect Johnny, but then why are you still here? I don't see any other parents on here. I think your daughter has already been accepted to PA school. I assume both of you and her found the answers, so I don't get it? I think it's time to cut the umbilical cord Posted Image

No offense taken. Yours are good questions. My daughter is doing well without my help and we are very proud of her chosen career. We try to stay up to date on her progress because we are still parents, but we don't interfere and she doesn't need that anyway. I think the umbilical cord has been severed as you put it, but we continue to offer guidance where appropriate. To answer your question, "why am I here?" My answer its that I have a personal interest in the PA profession, it's progress and evolution. If I can offer ideas, help or advice, I am happy to do that. (Note that I don't post where I am unqualified.) I think the profession benefits when more people take an interest, try to learn and understood and act as advocates. I do realize that some folks on the forum seem to only want practicing PAs, students or prospects to post. That's ok, too, and the moderators always have the option to ban me or anyone else, I suppose. However (and I think I have posted this before) I spent my career in the medical field after getting a PHD in physical chemistry and an MBA. After working in sales and marketing for a decade, I had my own company in Northern California, initially selling medical lasers and evolving into a laser rental company. We rented our lasers to hospitals, surgery centers, and physicians offices. During that time, I spent much of each day as a laser tech, repairing, transporting and setting up lasers, both assisting and teaching physicians and nurses, and operating the laser controls so the physician, or nurse (in dermatology), could focus on treating patients. We made a lot of money doing this because no one else in the area had the quality of equipment and skills we had, and we put on half a dozen well attended physician seminars every year. As to your comment that you don't see other parents on the forum, if that is true, perhaps they just aren't that interested in the profession. Perhaps they don't have my interest in medicine. Who knows? More than you wanted to know? Well, you asked.

Does anybody have any tips on how to act/participate in a group scenario? We had a group debate in a recent interview (a group of us all sat and debated ethical questions and topics), and I don't think I did too well. How do I interject and participate without talking over other people? Any thoughts on how often to talk/when to be quiet?

The above advice is great. I would also add that you should watch your body language. People will disagree with you and you have to be ready for that. Glaring at them or showing visible anger is probably not a good idea. Remember, these exercises are there to judge how well you work with a team, which is what we PA's do. So imagine you are across from your MD colleague/somewhat boss

• Upvote 1

I feel like I over prepared for the interview and would have done better had I been more relaxed and less focused on the right answer.

So its true what everyone has said, try to relax and be yourself. When you show up talk to the other applicants, it will help ease your nerves. Ask questions, participate, and RELAX. Easier said than done but it will make your whole interview experience much better.

Good luck to you all, I am just starting my first round of interviews, feel free to ask me questions!

Simple question, but what would you recommend carrying as a purse/bag/etc. for interviews?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I brought a bigger (nice) bag that fit my portfolio in it. I also had a water bottle, snacks (you never know what schools will provide), pens, etc. Others had smaller bags and either carried their portfolio or didn't bring one at all. Almost everyone I saw at each interview had a bag of sorts with them, just make sure its clean/professional looking. 

I brought a bigger (nice) bag that fit my portfolio in it. I also had a water bottle, snacks (you never know what schools will provide), pens, etc. Others had smaller bags and either carried their portfolio or didn't bring one at all. Almost everyone I saw at each interview had a bag of sorts with them, just make sure its clean/professional looking.

Thank you! Very helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk