Interview Tips

Guest OnBelay

Would it be acceptable to wear a non-collared, silk, light grey blouse with a dark grey or navy suit for an interview?

I did this...I wore a pink silk collared blouse, with a black pencil skirt and low heels (about an inch or less). I also wore a black v-neck sweater over my blouse with pearl necklace and matching earrings.

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone, I received my interview letter today, and ive been prepping for weeks now, but on one question im stuck on is the "tell me about yourself" question. I dont know if I should start off with what I am doing at the moment, my past accomplishments or basically talk about my hobbies. Any help will be great!

• Upvote 1

Hi all,

So this might be a very minor question but I just don't want to mess anything up! I have a list of questions that I've prepared for after my interview when they ask if I have any questions for them. Is it ok to have these written down and reference them? Or should I memorize them? I have about 7 questions, is that too much? I guess I should gauge based on how long they take to answer them, right? Just want to make sure everything goes as well as possible!

Hello Esklar,

I would probably whittle this down to 3-4 questions and it is ok to have them written down to remind yourself later. Maybe write down all 7 and star 3-4 you really want answered. That way if fellow applicants ask one of your questions, you have another to fall back on.

Good luck!

Hey everyone, I received my interview letter today, and ive been prepping for weeks now, but on one question im stuck on is the "tell me about yourself" question. I dont know if I should start off with what I am doing at the moment, my past accomplishments or basically talk about my hobbies. Any help will be great!

I gave them a brief rundown of myself even though I knew they had likely just looked over my app...remember they are probably interviewing several people that day. Undergrad, work, volunteering, current classes.

"I graduated from ____ with a BS in ___, where I maintained a __ GPA while taking a full course load and working 30 hours each week at ____. I also volunteered at ____, where I gained ____(some useful thing like working with disabled people, knowledge of EMRs, etc). Currently, I work at ___ and volunteer, while taking more classes to further my education. This is my top-choice PA program, so I am really excited to be interviewing here today."

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Hi all, I am new here and will appreciate your advice on how to tackle my upcoming interview at the PA school I have chosen. I understand that applicants will be required to carry out tasks that show manual dexterity and even write essays, any ideas on how to prepare for these? Thanks a lot.

Hi all, I am new here and will appreciate your advice on how to tackle my upcoming interview at the PA school I have chosen. I understand that applicants will be required to carry out tasks that show manual dexterity and even write essays, any ideas on how to prepare for these? Thanks a lot.

Unless the school specifically states the topics for your essays, and usually they do not, there is not really a way to prepare for this part. The purpose of the essays is to assess your critical thinking, without any preparation, which puts you in the same boat as everybody else. Focus on the interview, that is the one part that can highlight everything, or completely drown you!

This may be a silly question but, what is the right thing to do?

Prepare for your inteview, prepare, and prepare once again. Pull up practice questions, and practice, practice, practice. Set up a mock interview... It helped me tremendously before my actual interview.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have advice on what type of bag a female should/could carry? I read somewhere that anything besides a folio is frowned upon, but I wouldnt have anywhere to put my keys, phone, and all the extras that have been suggested elsewhere. Do you think a nice, neutral Kate Spade leather bag would be ok? It's not huge by any means but it comfortably fits what I need.

I second the above advice. I carry a nice black leather Kate Spade bag as well, and I even did that when I went to fire department oral boards. Nobody looked sideways at it, and I just stored it near my chair and proceeded with the interview. I did also carry a small folio inside my bag, though, for resumes or other paper goods that I didn't want wrinkled.

I had read the Andy rodican book, but since its been out for so long so has admissions committees. I think the book is great for getting an idea of what an interview can be like and ways to think answers out, but honestly the best practice is to do a mock interview. Find out what your weaknesses are while interviewing and just improve on them. Honestly this forum and specifically this thread has all of the advice you need to do well.

With any job, I feel the most important thing to remember is to remain confident. Not overly confident, but just enough to show that you are in control of the situation. It will take you a long way in many aspects of life. I'm so ever grateful for my Mother for instilling this trait in me.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...